Okay, here's the deal. For my theory class, I had to write a melody for a poem. The one I ended up choosing was Fire and Ice by Robert Frost. My teacher was fine with the notes themselves, but the declamation (read: rhythm) was poor. I've tried to turn it up and down and every which way and am having a hell of a time figuring out even what time signature I should really be using. Originally, I put it in common time for simplicity, but doing that is leaving me with weak words on the strong beats.

Long story short, I need help figuring out a good time signature and rhythm to put the melody to this poem. For anyone unfamiliar, here it is.

Fire and Ice

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Robert Frost
Quote by thewho65
What if I want my c*ck to smell like an egg roll?

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Well, all I can suggest is to get your listening covered. The final part of Coltrane's A Love Supreme is a prayer that can be read on the liner notes and is set very directly.

Steve Lacy did a lot of work with poetry, often working with the poets themselves (he was good friends with Robert Creeley) but I find it annoyingly difficult to find his recordings, considering his stature (hell, he introduced Coltrane to the soprano sax).

Fairly new to the scene is Susanne Abbuehl - she sets the work of e e cummings, among others. And she has a magnificent voice.

Because poetry has built-in rhythm, you don't need to force it into a box. Read it out naturally, and figure out where to put the measure divisions.
After just reading it, I'd put it in 5/4 with a moderate tempo... Dunno if thats what you're going for though.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
i would honestly suggest just picking a key and singing it, perhaps grab a piano or keyboard and then write down what you sang. remember you can stress different syllables and drag them out over more than one beat. you don't have to do one note per syllable.
Quote by z4twenny
i would honestly suggest just picking a key and singing it, perhaps grab a piano or keyboard and then write down what you sang. remember you can stress different syllables and drag them out over more than one beat. you don't have to do one note per syllable.

+1

Don't write the rythm and the notes then try and sing them, sing the words then write what you sang. This will make your rythm and melody seem much more natural and much more like somthing written for a singer.

If you have trouble singing a good melody then try and write a chord progression that you will play under it, then just go through your progression changing chords whenever feels natural and let the chords kinda guide where your voice should go.
Alright guys, thanks a lot for the help. I'll be trying all of your suggestions.
Quote by thewho65
What if I want my c*ck to smell like an egg roll?

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.