Poll: Killswitch, yay or nay?
Poll Options
View poll results: Killswitch, yay or nay?
Yay
14 54%
Nay
12 46%
Voters: 26.
personally, nay. i think they suck ass. Thats my personal preferance.

I've never even heard of the joker who calls himself 'buckethead' untill i searched 'killswitch demo' on youtube and found that every demo played some ****house song called 'jordan'

i would never get one to be honest, seems to be a toy i'd play with for a few minutes then go back to more conventional methods to play guitar.

Thoughts?
Quote by Fred1000000
Retards are God's way of telling you you could be worse off, AND entertaining you at the same time!
I'd use one for cancelling out noise on stage.

Other than that, I find those songs with excessive kill-switch usage gimmicky.
Quote by bapplebo
I'd use one for cancelling out noise on stage.

Other than that, I find those songs with excessive kill-switch usage gimmicky.

That's the sole reason I would get one too mate. It'll just keep stage noise in check in between songs. I'm not a fan of killswitches being used so heavily in some songs as it is.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
This reminds me of all those assholes that are like "Whammy bar? pffft, I can get the same result just using my hands..." Some people incorporate a killswitch into their playing, and why not? Why put them down cause you wouldn't? if there's room on a guitar for a killswitch as well as any other controls I feel a guitar should have then I put one on, cause sometimes I do use one, why not have the option? maybe one day you'll pull that stick out of your ass and give a killswitch a try.
Quote by oatley
I've never even heard of the joker who calls himself 'buckethead' untill i searched 'killswitch demo' on youtube and found that every demo played some ****house song called 'jordan'

You've seriously never heard of Buckethead, and then go so far as to call him a "joker"? He's arguably one of the most talented players on the planet.

Just look at this demonstration he did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjCi1nSPVYw

Figure 5 is a note for note re-creation of a super-computer featured in a 'Six Million Dollar Man' episode. He had some help from Paul Gilbert I believe on that one. But just look at his versatility, speed, accuracy and technical brilliance. Octave displacement in Figure 2 "It's like you want to go in three directions and you are stuck in the middle." That's a great description of that type of scale.

Reguarding the Killswitch:

The very last demonstration he plays is fantastic, and it's a great example of what the Killswitch you mentioned above is good for.

Long post short, he's great.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
I've got an SPST Momentary (Same kind as Buckethead, push down it cancels, let go noise comes back). I love it. It adds some really awesome effects when used correctly. Really good to add drama and suspense. And it looks awesome.
And, surprisingly enough, it actually kind of takes a bit of skill to use a killswitch. When to use it is crucial. Also its confusing the first time you use one cause you want to push down (Canceling the sound) when you would normally strum, so you have to sort of syncopate yourself, which takes a bit of getting used to.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
my bad i didnt read the thred properly i thought it was for the band
lawol haha
and yeah it think they go alright, for me id rather have one to mess with than to not have one
This next band asked me to read this 'Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Molly Hatchet all had sex and now please welcome their two-headed baby 'Tenacious D '

myspace.com/dinosaur_sandwich
Last edited by joshua.mcdonald at Jan 23, 2009,
Never seen the point. You could equally just turn the volume control down (I know a lot of you like to just leave everything at 10, but those controls are there for a reason), and if you really want a killswitch effect the same thing can be achieved by rolling down the volume on one pickup and flicking the pickup selector switch. This has the added bonus of there being less chance you'll cause damage to your amp if you use that effect on a regular basis.

You shouldn't really have a problem with control noise either. So long as your guitar is grounded and shielding correctly, there should be no problem. If you do get a little bit of noise, just make sure you're touching a metal part of the guitar while you're not playing and that should silence it completely; alternatively, buy a noise gate pedal or learn how to use your EQ better. Of course if you're playing on a Telecaster bridge position high-output singlecoil right under a bunch of neon signs then you'll still have problems but you've got to be pretty stupid to try pulling that off in the first place.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Never seen the point. You could equally just turn the volume control down (I know a lot of you like to just leave everything at 10, but those controls are there for a reason), and if you really want a killswitch effect the same thing can be achieved by rolling down the volume on one pickup and flicking the pickup selector switch.

but the flick switch doobie is normally in an awkward place to do it (les paul)
and i feel like there more control with the button the flicking the switch
This next band asked me to read this 'Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Molly Hatchet all had sex and now please welcome their two-headed baby 'Tenacious D '

myspace.com/dinosaur_sandwich
Quote by joshua.mcdonald
but the flick switch doobie is normally in an awkward place to do it (les paul)
and i feel like there more control with the button the flicking the switch
Because three inches lower is so much easier to access than three inches higher, right?

If you have trouble getting to your pickup selector switch at any time then what the hell are you doing even trying to hold a guitar. You should be able to flick a 3-way switch through both ways within one beat.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Killswitches,like nearly any "luxury" guitar item/technique sound best when used in moderation IMO.It's when people go to excessive lengths with them that I hate it.I'll give a good example.I enjoy sweep picking,it sounds sweet when applied in the right areas,but when like 30% or more of a piece of music is comprised of it I can't stand it.The same goes for killswitches,you can do cool stuff with them and they have their own area of application,but excessive use should be avoided.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Killswitches and the sounds they help produce are not for me.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
They can add style to your playing which I think is always good, although everyones jumping on the kill swtich bandwagon since jordan got exposed to the majority on GH.
*PROFILE NOT IN USE*
Quote by mightmuffin
They can add style to your playing which I think is always good, although everyones jumping on the kill swtich bandwagon since jordan got exposed to the majority on GH.

In other words, people found out about something because it got mainstreamed? That makes sense to me.
I only got mine because I love the effects it can do, the tones it can cause.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by david_highland
This reminds me of all those assholes that are like "Whammy bar? pffft, I can get the same result just using my hands..." Some people incorporate a killswitch into their playing, and why not? Why put them down cause you wouldn't? if there's room on a guitar for a killswitch as well as any other controls I feel a guitar should have then I put one on, cause sometimes I do use one, why not have the option? maybe one day you'll pull that stick out of your ass and give a killswitch a try.

A: Calm down.
B: I only said it was gimmicky. That is an opinion. If I were putting it down, I'd say "I wouldn't use one because they're stupid." Gimmicks CAN be good too, remember. Just look at pick sliding. Many people considered it a gimmick, now it's an awesome technique. Killswitch-abusing (in the good way) can eventually become an awesome technique, but I'm not a fan of it.

I'm not a fan of tapping either, I consider it gimmicky. Does that mean I'm putting it down? No. It means it's a technique I prefer not to use because I find that it makes music less melodic.

With both things, however, use in moderation can turn out awesome results.
C: Calm down.
D: I don't have a stick in my ass.

Oh yeah, I'd use it for the end of a set when I'd make the guitar "fade out". That'd be pretty cool.