Ok so my last thread was about the trouble with my Marshall MG stack and its "muffled"ness. A suggestion was made to just start a new thread declaring what it is i want to play, who i want to sound roughly like, what my budget is, and what my other gear is. So here is all that.

I play mostly various forms of rock, metal, and hardcore.

I honestly would like to sound somewhat like the hardcore band "Catherine".

My budget right now for a head would be $0-$350. This is mainly because im low on cash right now and i want a new head asap. During summer my budget would reach maybe $500-$600.

My other gear consists of a Schecter Damien Special FR, and a Korg AX3000G modeling pedal. My two other guitars are a b.c. warlock and a crappy Stagg g300 (sg knock off). Also i have two digitech pedals but i dont use them simply for the horrible and fake effects they give off.

So based off this and my budget, can anyone give me some good heads to look into before i shoot myself in the foot again and spend money on something that isnt what i want?

Thanks again for all suggestions and help.

Here is the band i play in.
Distorted Whispers
I assume...you want to use the MG cab for the new head? I don't think that'll sound good...
I'm not cool.
Yeah I would use the same cab. Im not an expert or such on these things so can you explain why it wouldnt sound good? I just figured that the cab is a cab and wouldnt really make THAT much of a difference.
I play for these guys and girl:
CHERISHtheFIRE

I play a beautiful Schecter Damien Special FR

I use a Korg AX3000G Modeling pedal
The speakers in the cabinet are low quality, so they won't make a "better" head really shine. Also the wood used to make the cabinet is on the weak side, so the bass response and frequency handling aren't "perfect"... if that makes sense?

You're going to be told to buy a tube combo amp.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Ah well like I said in my original post, Im just looking for something to give me a punch asap and within my budget of right now.
CHERISHtheFIRE

Listening to your recordings... turn your bass guitar down, turn YOUR bass down... treble/mids up. You shouldn't even need to invest in a new amp.

At worst... an EQ pedal should be able to smooth out your issues.
Quote by sargasm
1. Sell mg head for as much as possible (perhaps around 250)
2. Save for B-52 at 100
3. Well you know.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Dude you want to be patient. Keep playing your MG and keep saving the cash. DO NOT be like some people here and rush into this and end up with a stack you're not going to be proud of and you'll just have to buy another one in a year as you get better.

I'd recommend the peavey 6505. Later this year (about the summer) there will be a new 6505 combo coming out for only 600 bucks. It's a 1x12 but you can hook up an extra cab to it.

IF you want the head version you can find them used for about 800. But you'll need another cab for this thing. This is really the be all end all amp for me. If you want to hear how this amp sounds go to youtube and look up chimaira. Their new songs are recorded with only 6505+. They don't use engl or any other amps anymore they are exlusive to the peavey.

I have owned many amps over the years and always go back to the 6505. I used to be like you when I was younger and I rushed into getting amps. So I'd buy solid state line 6 amps and never be satisfied. Even owned a marshall valvestate amp and hated it.

Get yourself a tube amp. And get a well built amp like the 6505. Bugera's sound awesome and they are copies. They are cheaper but they will not last or take the pain that the 6505 can. And they don't sound quite as good either.

Once you get this amp you will never need another one. Chances are your amp will last 20 years with no problems at all. The 5150 is the same thing as the 6505 they just had to change the name due to copyright reasons. So, you might want to look at some 5150's on ebay. I got my first 5150 for only 500 bucks.

DO NOT RUSH. Get yourself a quality amp that you will be proud of and will last ya forever. An all tube american high gain amp. Get away from that solid state amp and you won't have to worry about "mushy" at high volumes.

Also the new trivium album is 6505+ and they are using them live only now. Go to peavey.com and check these things out and then head over to ebay. You can even call around some music stores and you'll probably find a used one there.
Last edited by hcsn2008 at Jan 23, 2009,
350$ isnt going to buy a head unit any better than the MG. So deal with what you have and save more money. Your going to need a cab to.
Quote by al112987
I'd actually buy a new cab first...

Between a new cab and an EQ pedal... I don't think he even needs a new amp. He wants something "punchy," not because he's afraid of the MG's notorious reputation for being low quality and sounding bad.
Quote by sargasm
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Listening to your recordings... turn your bass guitar down, turn YOUR bass down... treble/mids up. You shouldn't even need to invest in a new amp.

At worst... an EQ pedal should be able to smooth out your issues.

Those are just rough recordings we did one day and the marshall wasnt used at all. But thanks for the tips. We are re-recording here sometime within the next week so that will help.

Also im gonna look into the Boss EQ pedal. Try that out and see if using that will hold me out until summer when i can buy a whole new stack (cab & head).

I looked at the 6505s and right now they are way out of my price range but i will keep them in mind when i go to buy a new stack and such.

Thanks again so much everyone.
CHERISHtheFIRE

Quote by Tackleberry
350$ isnt going to buy a head unit any better than the MG. So deal with what you have and save more money. Your going to need a cab to.

I beg to differ...

Used..
Peavey Ultra Plus 120
Ampeg VH-140C
Ampeg VL-502
Ampeg SS-150

All great heads for metal....
Quote by tymfzb
Those are just rough recordings we did one day and the marshall wasnt used at all. But thanks for the tips. We are re-recording here sometime within the next week so that will help.

Also im gonna look into the Boss EQ pedal. Try that out and see if using that will hold me out until summer when i can buy a whole new stack (cab & head).

I looked at the 6505s and right now they are way out of my price range but i will keep them in mind when i go to buy a new stack and such.

Thanks again so much everyone.

Not a single person here will support you getting an actual stack for less than like $1500. You're gonna hear: "Get a tube combo it's more than you'll ever need." So enjoy fighting through that pile of crap.

On another note... a good EQ pedal is the MXR M-108 it's a 10 band and comes with the power supply, I've heard good things about the Dano Fish n' Chips, a 6 band EQ that works similarly; however, I don't believe it comes with the power supply so you'll need batteries or to buy one separately. The M-108 is about $100, and in my opinion the best deal (it's in my future too...)

In terms of cabinets... I'd go Avatar or used and hope for that "One in a million" type deal.

Good luck.
Quote by sargasm
Ah ok the M-108 is lookin like a nice try. As far as knowing what each of the numbers mean though it looks like it would be somewhat confusing at first for someone like myself who has never dealt with using an EQ pedal.
CHERISHtheFIRE

Each number is a frequency of sound. The lower the number the more bassy. So it goes Bass/Mids/Treble frequencies, the thing about it being 10-band is that there are 10 frequencies to choose from. Bass to Low Mids/Mids/High Mids to Treble.

You basically have to decide what you're missing and then increase/decrease as necessary. It's a tweaker's dream.
Quote by sargasm
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Not a single person here will support you getting an actual stack for less than like $1500. You're gonna hear: "Get a tube combo it's more than you'll ever need." So enjoy fighting through that pile of crap.

Carvin V3 - currently $1400 for the head and a 4x12 cab.

TS: Buy in this order - new cab, EQ, new head (or you could always get something like the new 6505 combo thats coming out and use it to power the cab).
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Carvin V3 - currently $1400 for the head and a 4x12 cab.

TS: Buy in this order - new cab, EQ, new head (or you could always get something like the new 6505 combo thats coming out and use it to power the cab).

Link to Carvin V3? And yes I agree with your suggestion: Cab/EQ/New amp. The only reason I'm even advising this guy to keep his MG is so he can save money... and get a quick fix... that will stay with him ya know?

A decent cab/EQ can be had forever.
Quote by sargasm
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
I just got pwnd. I don't like how they don't tell you what's in the cabinet but I digress.

I'm pretty sure the cab has Celestion G12T-75s
http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-ValveKing-Tube-Head-Valve-King-vk100-vk-100_W0QQitemZ220348910094QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item220348910094&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

I don't like them but this is a good time for it. Keep your cab for now it probably won't bother you that much, and by the time you notice you don't like the cab then maybe you will have enough money for a new cab also.

EDIT: Or sell the halfstack and buy a 2x12 then save.
Last edited by KingJustinian25 at Jan 23, 2009,
Quote by al112987
I'd actually buy a new cab first...

For higher wattage heads I agree. But for instance I used to play my valve junior through an old mg cab for practices, and it sounded really good. Not much different from the 2x12 v30 cab I now use. Shocking, but true. So my guess would be that you TS can go and get yourself the new blackstar 5watt top and it will sound very good through your present cab. I would definately get the head before the cab. MG amps cant ever sound decent, but from my experience a good amp sounds great thrbe ough an MG cab. Not quite as pure and rich as with say a v30 cab, but it will not that far really. Just dont get a 100watt something and put it on yout mgcab. Used to run a bugera 120 on an mg cab and it was NOT a success.
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat