I've been playing acoustic my whole life, and finally "crossed the bridge" and decided to take up electric. Ive purchased a MIM standard strat, and its fair to say i kinda like it. The only real drawback is i cant get the heavier sounds out of it, which is fair because it is in fact single coils. I originally purchased it becuase i do infact like to play blues and such, but do have tastes besides that. So I had this bright idea...

I was thinking about purchasing a Agile and perhaps replacing the pickups with Duncan SH4 JB's and perhaps Emg 81 or something else...

Would this make sense to do or is there something i can do to my strat to get those heavier distortion sounds... If i had to describe what sounds im shooting for id say Im shooting for an Opeth type sound.

Thanks for the help
Well you could either replace the bridge single coil with a stacked single coil, which is pretty much a humbucker or you could replace the pickguard of the strat and put a full-sized humbucker in the bridge and turn it into a HSS config.
Quote by T!AN
Well you could either replace the bridge single coil with a stacked single coil, which is pretty much a humbucker or you could replace the pickguard of the strat and put a full-sized humbucker in the bridge and turn it into a HSS config.

This is good, and also juse heavy guage strings, like 11's, 12's or 13's. Also stay on the bridge pick up.
Quote by HendrixClaptonP
This is good, and also juse heavy guage strings, like 11's, 12's or 13's.
Not a smart idea on a Strat. You'd have to have it set-up for such a heavy gauge and that'd then make it almost completely dedicated to hard rock/metal.

Ultimately you should use the lightest string gauge you can while remaining comfortable with the tension.

Anyway, I would second the notion of getting a pickguard with a humbucker space in the bridge. Those Mexican Fenders should all have a universal body route underneath so no further modification would be required, you'd just get the new pickguard, put the current neck and middle pickups plus electronics in, just drop in a medium or higher-output humbucker in the bridge position, and you're away.

I'd stay well away from active pickups like the EMG though, from the sound of it that'd be the last thing you'd need.

As far as 'singlecoil sized humbuckers' go as were also mentioned, they don't sound like humbuckers, nor do they have the power. They sound like singlecoils that have had the high-end rolled off, had a tiny mid boost, and have slightly less background noise. That's it. They're really not suitable for metal and even regular rock is pushing their limits.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
ok, for fat: you want the neck pickup. Get some single-coil sized humbuckers for that thing, like a Lil' 59 neck or a Lil JB neck. That'd get you want you want. You can still coil tap them, so that if you wanted to, they'll still function as single coils, too.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Just remember you cant use 1 active and 1 passive pickup unless you turn your pickup selector into an on/off switch which will take a LOT of work.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by Thomme
ok, for fat: you want the neck pickup. Get some single-coil sized humbuckers for that thing, like a Lil' 59 neck or a Lil JB neck. That'd get you want you want. You can still coil tap them, so that if you wanted to, they'll still function as single coils, too.
That's not a coil tap, that's a coil split you're talking about. Even then, no they would not function as true singlecoils.

There's also nothing to suggest the OP would want a pickup like that in the neck position.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
fender blues deluxe....using pedals ds-1 and metal zone

Ive been really considering the duncan JB's, i hear they are very versitile, Im hoping it give me that heavier tone. I would be putting it in the bridge position.

Im assuming strats will sound just fine with humbuckers?
Would that be an easy installation? no special little things need to be done?
Well there you go.
Fender sucks balls for metal and the MZ is just plain terrible.
Buy a new amp instead of pickups. No type of pickups will fix that.
i understand my amp isnt the run of the mill metal amp, im just trying to get atleast halfway there in tone. I feel ill get much better sound from a new humbucker them my normal bridge single coil
Quote by Duke_Fan
i understand my amp isnt the run of the mill metal amp, im just trying to get atleast halfway there in tone. I feel ill get much better sound from a new humbucker them my normal bridge single coil

Hell, you'll get a better metal tone from a Roland Microcube that with that rig.
DON'T GET NEW PICKUPS. THEY WILL NOT HELP.
Quote by MrFlibble

As far as 'singlecoil sized humbuckers' go as were also mentioned, they don't sound like humbuckers, nor do they have the power. They sound like singlecoils that have had the high-end rolled off, had a tiny mid boost, and have slightly less background noise. That's it. They're really not suitable for metal and even regular rock is pushing their limits.

1 word.
Malmsteen.
Quote by konigstiger
PCSpeaker is right,

Damn right I am.

Bugera 333xl > Crybaby Wah > Marshall Guv'Nor > Boss SD1 > J&D Les Paul / Vintage Lemon Drop / Modded HSH Squier / Vintage Warp / Standard Squier Strat /Tanglewood Acoustic!
Not a smart idea on a Strat. You'd have to have it set-up for such a heavy gauge and that'd then make it almost completely dedicated to hard rock/metal.

Ultimately you should use the lightest string gauge you can while remaining comfortable with the tension.

Maybe, but look at say SRV, who used 13's, and many metal players use luight guage strings on the higher strings for shred anyway. I think providing you have the finger strength to use them, heavy strings do gicve a fatter sound, and can be used in almost any genre except maybe counry where you wouldnl't have enough "twang".
Quote by PCSpeaker
1 word.
Malmsteen.

lol
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
ok, SC sized HBs do infact sound like Humbuckers. Billy Corgan used SC sized HBs, he had a huge sound. I'm not talking about the "stacked" humbuckers, which do sound like single coils, I'm talking about the lil' JB and lil' 59 or Hot Rails pickups

In anycase, switching from SC's to HBs will give you a bigger sound. As well, the JB and 59 in the neck position give you a nice, fat sound. It depends on exactly what the OP wants in his tone. But, my suggestion would be putting SC sized HBs in the guitar.

And coil splitting HB's doesn't give you a perfect "strat" or "tele," sound, but, you definitely get a single coil sound. The HBs on my less paul and epiphone strat are both equipped with coil splitters and give me a decent sound.

this is what the 59 and JB in my Les Paul sound like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsPIWCYO8eo
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.