hi there,

i want to learn how to improvise or do little fills whilst playing along instead of just playing root notes.

example of a song im covering in my band is 'the calling-wherever you will go'

which there is quite a bit of space to do fills or improvs
just think it would sound better than playing root notes in songs and i want to improve my playing

so any useful links, tips or whatnot please???
Shamone
Sort of hard to learn through text, but for something simple, when there is a chord change, in a 4/4 time signature, 2 beats before the chord change, play two frets below, then one, then by the time you get to the next root note, you will be playing the same thing as the band.

eg
C-F-G

A|:3-3-3-3-3-3-3 D|:1-2-3-3-3-3-3-3-2-1 A|: 3-3-3-3-3-3 E|:5-4-3-3-3-3-3-3 A|:1-2-3-3ect

If you see what I mean.

It doesn't work for everything, but you can do something pretty much like that on anything, and it's better than just playing the root notes.

As for soloing, just play all the notes in the scale of the key your in. Just keep doing this every now and then at home with random keys, and eventually you will get good at it. There isn't really a "simple solution" for soloing. Hope I helped.
Having "In-Key" fills that sound good and generally fit in requires knowledge of theory.

If you want to add a bluesy sort of feel to it, you could look into using Blues Scales based on the root note of the chords (say the chord/scale being played is C Major), you'd use a Blues Major Scale. This can be done with any number of scales, and this is why theory knowledge is awesome for playing music. A basic knowledge of a few scales can REALLY open up what you do musical wise. Pentatonic Fills are a great and easy beginner way of making fills.

Pentatonic Fills rely around the following note of the scale.

Major Scale: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th and 8th (the octave to the 1st).
Minor Scale: 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th and 8th (the octave to the 1st).

So, if your song was played in C Major Scale (Easiest scale to remember, no sharps, no flats).

The C Major Scale - C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C.
The C Major Pentatonic Scale - C, D, E, G, A, C.

Playing these notes, in any variation, in any rhythm, will almost always generate a good sound, since these notes will naturally blend in with each other.

The same will apply to the next Major scale and any other Major scale you come across.

Lets look at the G Major Scale: G, A, B, C, D, E, F#, G.
Now, the G Major Pentatonic: G, A, B, D, E, G.

Again, just like the C Major Scale, those notes will always blend will with each other.

With the Minor Scales, you use the Minor Pentatonic Rule that I mentioned above.

The A Minor Scale (Relative to C Major): A, B, C, D, E, F, G, A.
The A Minor Pentatonic: A, C, D, E, G, A.

Now, lets look at the E Minor Scale (Relative to G Major): E, F#, G, A, B, C, D, E.
The E Minor Pentatonic: E, G, A, B, D, E.

Major Pentatonic's will generally produce a happier tone, a Minor Pentatonic will produce a sadder tone. With further theoretical knowledge, you could incorporate a mixture of these two scales with other ones. The Blues Scale is a VERY popular one which is used in conjunction with Pentatonic Scales - They go hand in hand and fit in very well.

You should be lucky I've typed all of this.

I'm bored and I felt like helping out
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
thanks for your help that's helped me out a lot

much appreciated
Shamone
Last edited by wilkozade2005 at Jan 23, 2009,