I'm not sure if im ready to start or be in a band yet...

i want to more than anything. i can play most fluently not mega speed technical stuff yet, coming up with a riff off the top of my head is no problem, and yes they (mostly) sound good. I've got no problem jamming with friends, but that is my problem too.

my friends. they are all either abit or alot better than me and they've already started their own thing..... after my suggesting of it. lame i know. they try to include me but i feel really out of place. ****ty feeling sitting in a room full of your best friends.

back to my experience because this is what matters, ive been playing for two and a half years, and learned exceptionally fast, being able to play riffs from many monster magnet, slayer, and a whole ****load of alternative songs, a few full many not. Everything i've written is based off of a technique or interesting pattern or sound i may have played, one chord can play a whole song in my ear.

I've come to think my experience is adequate for what i'd like to do, especially after looking on cable television and having seen what they call rock nowadays, I need to stand up and restore rock hahahah but i just don't know where to begin. not anymore.

So, can anyone give me some advice, it would really be apreciated. and don't tell me not to quit my day job, because I'm damn determined and I already did.
Quote by KanchiX
and don't tell me not to quit my day job, because I'm damn determined and I already did.

find some guys/girls who are into the same music as you and are around the same level of playing as you are... and then progress together, as a band.

practise techniques by yourself every day for an hour or so, and then come together with your band once a week or once a fortnight and start writing your own stuff which suits the level you are at.

if you can't shred at 180 notes a second, don't try to.

just do everything at your own pace, and gig when you are ALL ready.

just fecking enjoy it man.
work on your songwriting, what most metal guitarist dont know is that speed!=good songwriting. take a riff youve written and start improvising with that riff in mind while recording, take about 20 minutes of recording and listen to what youve played and pick a few good riffs that sound good next to each other and make a song out of it.
Quote by Shyne
find some guys/girls who are into the same music as you and are around the same level of playing as you are... and then progress together, as a band.

practise techniques by yourself every day for an hour or so, and then come together with your band once a week or once a fortnight and start writing your own stuff which suits the level you are at.

if you can't shred at 180 notes a second, don't try to.

just do everything at your own pace, and gig when you are ALL ready.

just fecking enjoy it man.

I'm workin with alot of my 'other' friends trying to get them to either pick up an instrument or play the one they got more. all but one are too lazy so... i got a drummer... who plays rap and rave beats. yay!. not still up **** creek ha. the way its lookin im prolly gonna be a year or so out before i find the bassplayer i need. i'll do ****in vocals if i hafto hell i prolly will im writtin everything so far too.

btw to the first poster find a gun kill yourself. jk but seriously im not terrible.
First of all, you're not the only one who thinks he can "restore" rock as you call it, there are loads of talented people in the world apart from you. You're not even the only who learns exceptionally fast. So if you really want to start somewhere, write a bloody song, not one, but loads of them. Riffs are nothing amazing, it's the context you put them in that matters.

Secondly, if all your friends play better than you and you feel as though you're the fifth wheel on teh car so to speak...jam with other people?
you'll improve quicker playing in a band with other people than sitting in your bedroom with your guitar, especially if the other people in the band are better than you.
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Quote by KanchiX
I'm workin with alot of my 'other' friends trying to get them to either pick up an instrument or play the one they got more. all but one are too lazy so... i got a drummer... who plays rap and rave beats. yay!. not still up **** creek ha. the way its lookin im prolly gonna be a year or so out before i find the bassplayer i need. i'll do ****in vocals if i hafto hell i prolly will im writtin everything so far too.

btw to the first poster find a gun kill yourself. jk but seriously im not terrible.

I never said you were terrible, but it's not easy to get famous in a band. It doesn't happen overnight.
Quote by Equivalence
First of all, you're not the only one who thinks he can "restore" rock as you call it, there are loads of talented people in the world apart from you. You're not even the only who learns exceptionally fast. So if you really want to start somewhere, write a bloody song, not one, but loads of them. Riffs are nothing amazing, it's the context you put them in that matters.

Secondly, if all your friends play better than you and you feel as though you're the fifth wheel on teh car so to speak...jam with other people?

thankyou for the harsh peice of reality pie but its nothing i didnt know already sorry if i came off that way. and yes i do try my best to jam with others hell i only have my buddy mark haul his set over to my house so he can setup on my backporch, im set with a laney halfstack in my garage, usually its not half bad but his style rarely works well with what im really proud of writting.
Quote by ASITHOS
I never said you were terrible, but it's not easy to get famous in a band. It doesn't happen overnight.

**** fame i just wanna make money playin bars! **** i got 6 within 3 blocks of me! but yea thanks a bunch i gotta go 4:21 am too early.
Quote by KanchiX
thankyou for the harsh peice of reality pie but its nothing i didnt know already sorry if i came off that way. and yes i do try my best to jam with others hell i only have my buddy mark haul his set over to my house so he can setup on my backporch, im set with a laney halfstack in my garage, usually its not half bad but his style rarely works well with what im really proud of writting.

Sorry for posting it as a harsh piece of reality pie..didn't mean to discourage you
just keep playing and writing and it'll fall into place
I think quitting your day job was a pretty bad move. There are many many other unsuccesuful people out there just as "determind" as you. And despite having a drive being a good thing, you do need to be a good songwriter and actually be a good guitar player. If your friends who are apparantly much better than you aren't succesful or "restoring rock", then what makes you think you can do any better than them?
I'm here to help

Quote by Jimbleton
ok, as usual pit is being very unhelpful except andychalmers, so im gonna go post this someplace else

And a master of storytelling...

Quote by Jackolas
andychalmers102, that story is awesome.
Well ill tell you this from experience dont try to be the whole band it sux to have to do everybody else's job
Life's A Garden Digg It
-Joe Dirt
Quote by skaterskagg1

I swear I will never get sick of that img. but yeah what skaterskagg1 said.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
Quote by andychalmers102
I think quitting your day job was a pretty bad move. There are many many other unsuccesuful people out there just as "determind" as you. And despite having a drive being a good thing, you do need to be a good songwriter and actually be a good guitar player. If your friends who are apparantly much better than you aren't succesful or "restoring rock", then what makes you think you can do any better than them?

let me clarify, my day job has just become far and in between, being as no one wants to pay to remodel their friggin kitchen or any damn thing around the house, so all i get r small jobs for ppl and i mean small. all the businesses are closing, being sold, firing, or their hiring is locked due to some other bullcrap along those lines.

the only way i can put it is im not trying to do better than any of them. i mean i am but not competitivly. And yes there are lots of unsuccessful people out there at the moment like you and I, but when you have a will you make a way. just because you challenge my musical abillity im not gonna be shot. and yes im speaking metaphorically.

I might not become famous, but I will leave a mark. in the snow hahahahah sorry just wanted to chill out wit sum humor.