Ok guys i'm in need of serious help

I am quite good at guitar but i'm getting frustrated playing the same 10 songs over and over. How can I improve and write my own songs and just improvise awesome little riffs and solos?

Also, I really wanna be in a band or go solo. But my voice is terrible. Is there anyway of improving this without going to a teacher/ trainer?

One more thing, How do I improve my music ear. Obviously my two questions above will help out but i wanna get a good ear to be able to reconize chords and learn songs by ear without looking up tabs.

Is there any (free) software that can help me with any of my problems?

I sound like such a noob. I'm like one of the smartest in another topic thing on UG but when it comes to this stuff I have no idea :S
Quote by guitarcam123

I am quite good at guitar but i'm getting frustrated playing the same 10 songs over and over. How can I improve and write my own songs and just improvise awesome little riffs and solos?

Also, I really wanna be in a band or go solo. But my voice is terrible. Is there anyway of improving this without going to a teacher/ trainer?

One more thing, How do I improve my music ear. Obviously my two questions above will help out but i wanna get a good ear to be able to reconize chords and learn songs by ear without looking up tabs.

I sound like such a noob. I'm like one of the smartest in another topic thing on UG but when it comes to this stuff I have no idea :S
And you're modest too.

The best way to learn, is to learn from someone who knows more than you...
Quote by guitarcam123

Learn some basic theory if you haven't yet. Figure out how scales - for starters, major and minor - and figure out how they are used. This will not only help your songwriting but also your improvisation and soloing skills.

Quote by guitarcam123

Practice! Sing in your car. Record yourself singing in to a mic, and figure out what your weakest points are. Too nasally? Research and find out how to fix that. Not hitting the notes right? Again, research. Record yourself again, find more problems, and fix them again.

Quote by guitarcam123

Me and my friend actually used to get bored and we would play a game where would hit a note on the guitar and the other person would have to try to guess it. It really helped me get a better musical ear. Other times, I would get bored and listen to songs and just try to figure out what the rhythm chords were. Then, I'd listen to the riff and try to figure it out as well. Its all a matter of practicing.

Quote by guitarcam123

That statement alone makes you sound so much more nooby.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
I'm not gonna help you just because of the last sentance. It makes no sense.

I've seen him post in Gear Building and Customising (I think that was him) So maybe he means he can fixup/build guitars and pedals.
Quote by Final !mpact
I've seen him post in Gear Building and Customising (I think that was him) So maybe he means he can fixup/build guitars and pedals.

I mean, it's a retarded statement.

Why would you say your are a noob but you are good at stuff?
Quote by guitarcam123

As for the singing part, look up some videos on youtube. The key to singing is all about technique... Such as, breathing deeply, rasing your soft pallete, singing out behind your teeth. If you get all this right, then your pitch will most likely be there. But yeah, just go google some lessons, and if you have any specific questions, ask them in the singing thread.

Edit: I looked, and there is no singing thread. So just go to another forum focused on singing.
Last edited by tele432 at Jan 23, 2009,
^ there is a singing thread

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=18288225#post18288225

its stickied at the top of the MT thread. theres LOTS of advice in there.
Quote by guitarcam123

Think of a melody and record it using some method. Then replay it and transcribe it. Apply chords where you deem fit.

Quote by guitarcam123
One more thing, How do I improve my music ear. Obviously my two questions above will help out but i wanna get a good ear to be able to recognize chords and learn songs by ear without looking up tabs.

Transcribe music! There is free software like GNU Solfege that tests you to listen for intervals, chords, scales, and other theory things. Trainear.com is a site that can help you recognize intervals and if you get it wrong it plays a song that can help you memorize that specific interval.

Quote by guitarcam123

And you probably can fix things, but not play as well, is probably what you meant.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Try www.trainear.com That is a free web based interval ear trainer. You might also try the free 'solfege" software, or possibly a program called "functional ear trainer" all of these are free, and all have advantages and disadvantages. Maybe give them all a try and see which one you like the best.
Quote by Mike134
Try www.trainear.com That is a free web based interval ear trainer. You might also try the free 'solfege" software, or possibly a program called "functional ear trainer" all of these are free, and all have advantages and disadvantages. Maybe give them all a try and see which one you like the best.

Also check out musictheory.net. There's a few ear trainers on there, as well as some theory lessons.