This one is available at a thrift shop locally and was trying to figure out what it was first. No name or serial number or other marks anywhere. Looks like it has some age on it. Thought it might be a fun project at the price.
Anyone have any idea what I'm looking at...where it came from?
Thanks!
It's obviously a guitar.

I once saw a guitar looking like that on a documentary about Les Paul (the man), but I'm not assuming anything here . How much was it btw ?
i can offer no help, but all i can say is that i am extremely jealous.
The thrift shop is auctioning off a bunch of old junk for a fundraiser. Starting at $1.00 but I doubt it will go for much. No way of knowing if the electronics work or not. Just trying to get an idea what I'm looking at. I'm not too familar with hollow body guitars. I mainly play my Les Paul and acoustic.
Thanks guys.
I certainly didn't expect it to be an authentic Gibson. Looked like a copy of something, just wasn't sure what!
Do you guys think it's an older guitar? Or just manufactured to look aged?
I'd say its an older guitar. How much is it selling for?
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
yeaa that looks pretty genuine to me. +, who makes guitars this day and doest slap their brand name on the headstock. + its a thrift store, thats where you would find old guitars that havent been used in a couple decades
It could one of any number of 70's guitar manufacturers. It's probably a Kay, Airline, Sears, Montgomery Ward.
Seriously, I'm in the band.
Quote by Woozye
It's obviously a guitar.

hahaha.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
i thik it looks like a hofner
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Have you tried to look under the F holes? Might be something there
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by bikerboyjosh
i thik it looks like a hofner

This.

Höfner's guitars look real similar.

But then, that Gibson mentioned above looks even more alike.
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity

(offboard; Whammy IV, Crybaby 535Q, Digitech RP100A)
Last edited by Penn100 at Jan 23, 2009,
I had one very much like it apart from being purely acoustic. Same old machines, same old bridge. What I can see of the headstock shape its about the same. Mine was a Framus from the '50's and just about worth the £5 it cost. Probably very collectible now and worth quite a bit.
Actually it looks like an acoustic that's been modified. You can see what looks like a wire running from the pickup to the f-hole on the right.

And is that a J just above the bridge or is it just the light?

I can't tell you what it is but good luck identifying it.
The video below will tell you. Without any knowledge of the headstock, it appears to be a 1950's Kay Acoustic-Electric Archtop with the pickguard removed, thus revealing the cable. Also, the knobs have been switched to what looks like Fender Strat knobs. And yes, someone carved a "J" into the top of the guitar near the bridge. Too bad you don't know who owned it before it went to the thrift shop. It would be a prety cool story to learn about "the J"

Hope I helped The video is below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTM2UOch4PU&feature=related
Thanks to everyone for their help!!!

I think that youtube video says it all. Looks like a worn version of that exact guitar. I do wonder about that "J" though. I bet that's quite a story!

How much do you think these kay archtops are worth? Not looking to profit on it, just not overpay!
Idk, they never appreciated much due to lack of fame and all that, but if you take REALLY good care of it, it should be worth a few hundred bucks. I've seen them go for as low as $125 to as high $800 for really good ones.

The J would be interesting. Speaking of putting a moniker your guitars, you know how BB King's signature got the name Lucille?
Last edited by [VictorinoX] at Jan 23, 2009,
Thanks!

Actually, I've heard that old story about BB King running back into the bar he was playing at to rescue his guitar from the fire and then naming it after the girl he was chasing that night. Idk how much truth there is in all that though.
Mostly true, but whoever yu heard it from twisted it up a bit. He was playing a show in a bar where there was this really attractive lady. Two other guys were fighting over her, and one ended up knocking over a kerosol can and lighting the place up. BB King rushed out only to realize he had left his guitar in there, so he runs back in, gets the guitar, and runs back out. The two men died in the fire and he fond out the woman they were fighting over was named Lucille. So he named all his guitars from that point on "Lucille" as a reminder to never get into a situation like that over a girl.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Mostly true, but whoever yu heard it from twisted it up a bit. He was playing a show in a bar where there was this really attractive lady. Two other guys were fighting over her, and one ended up knocking over a kerosol can and lighting the place up. BB King rushed out only to realize he had left his guitar in there, so he runs back in, gets the guitar, and runs back out. The two men died in the fire and he fond out the woman they were fighting over was named Lucille. So he named all his guitars from that point on "Lucille" as a reminder to never get into a situation like that over a girl.

Lets hope the two dead were the guys fighting...
They were. That's why he named his guitar Lucille. To remind himself to never get into a fight over a woman.