So I've been constantly boggled about which delay pedal to get, I'd like to spend as little as possible towards getting a good sounding delay. So far the boss dd-3 has attracted me the most since it's a straight forward delay that only costs around $100. Now I know if I up my budget to around $150 I can get things like a dd-7 or an mxr carbon copy, but is the extra cost really worth it? If I stepped up to the dd-7 would I just be paying for the extra features that I probably wouldn't use much, or does it actually sound better?
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
Depends what you want from it.

If you want sound QUALITY , few features at a lower price - EHX #1 Echo

More features (no stereo) = DD3

High features, stereo, sound quality and price = DD-20 BOss Giga Delay
well what are you trying to play?

if you just want a standard rock delay, or tyhe U2 like ambient sound (like in I Still Havent Found...) the dd3 is quite enough.

if you want to go beyond that look into the dd7 or other such higher ranked delays
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
It depends on what sound you're going for, digital or analog. Each has their own sound. Analog usually have lesser repeat times. I have the EHX Echo #1 and I love it. I got rid of my Boss for it and haven't looked back. Best advice I can give...get a few models you're interested in and watch some youtube demo vids to see what each sounds like. Then go play them for yourself before you make your final decision.
The Boss dd3 is my mayme daymie. If I do ever buy another Delay I'll be sure that it has a tap tempo. If you play live fairly often get a quality delay with tap tempo.
Last edited by Adam Loeke at Jan 23, 2009,
I'd like a relatively simple delay that can produce somewhat medium or even long delay times like a U2 type of thing, and maybe even longer delays than that.

EDIT: I guess I'd be looking more towards digital since it can produce longer delay times.
Gear:
Line6 UX2
Last edited by mrxtreme_4 at Jan 23, 2009,
Quote by mrxtreme_4
I'd like a relatively simple delay that can produce somewhat medium or even long delay times like a U2 type of thing, and maybe even longer delays than that.

EDIT: I guess I'd be looking more towards digital since it can produce longer delay times.

You would definitely need a digital delay. The Echo #1 has 2 seconds of delay time.

EDIT: http://www.ehx.com/products/number-1-echo
hmm the Echo#1 seems to be very straight froward, simple and good sounding, and its got the 2 seconds of delay time which I like. Is it basically a stripped down version of the memory man? How does it sound with distortion, and why haven't I heard of this before!?
Gear:
Line6 UX2
Quote by mrxtreme_4
hmm the Echo#1 seems to be very straight froward, simple and good sounding, and its got the 2 seconds of delay time which I like. Is it basically a stripped down version of the memory man? How does it sound with distortion, and why haven't I heard of this before!?

Its not really like the Memory Man. The MM is an analog delay. I hadn't heard of it either until I seen one in a shop. Mine sounds great with distortion. I use a Metal Muff, and a Speedbox for overdriving my amp and the delay sounds great. The repeats are all very clean, even up to the 2s mark, and they will repeat forever.
Quote by eyebanez333
Its not really like the Memory Man. The MM is an analog delay.

ohh sorry. With all the features the MM had for that price made me think it was digital, well then I'll definitely be checking out the echo 1 soon as I'm very impressed by the clips I've heard.
Gear:
Line6 UX2