Bought a new laptop last friday since my last one died. It has dual core 2Ghz, 4gb memomry and some graficcard that has "1.5gb" memory. Oh, and it has vista. Now I'm wondering why most games I try to play lag, even when I go to the lowest settings (not old games like starcraft ). I tried Stalker - clear sky i.e. and it lags and runs slow, even when I play on the lowest settings. Does anyone know why? Kinda annoying with a new, fairly-good computer and you can't play anything
vista has some problems with gaming...its fairly processor intensive already and with running games it only makes it worse. I would try turning off or exiting out of any programs that are running before you start the game, disconnect from the internet (unless its an online multiplayer type of game of course) and making sure you have done all of the windows updates. Unfortunately thats about all you can do with a laptop since you cannot really replace parts
Quote by masterk1818
I tell him to stop but he doesn't listen.

He just keeps thrusting

^Talking about his dog

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

^if you don't get it, search for Duel of the Farts
Because you don't have a graphics card. Yo have an integrated chipset that shares 1.5GB of memory with your system RAM. Graphics RAM isn't a rating of how good the graphics card (or integrated graphics) is. If you want to play games, you need a good graphics card, which you can't change in a laptop.

Quote by wlcm2themachine
vista has some problems with gaming...its fairly processor intensive already
No it isn't. His processor isn't the problem.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Jan 23, 2009,
when i saw the title i thought your "space button" isnt working and that's the problem
but now i see what's really wrong. Laptops arent usually made to play games on, i dont know much about graphic cards and things inside the computers, but at least i tried =)
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Quote by SG_dave
i was gonna say that sounds weird cos i got a lower spec laptop that runs new games fine... but mine has a pretty good graphics card.
Fixed, because age doesn't determine how good it is.
okej, but then I still have tops 2.5GB RAM, even it the games doesn't take up all 1.5GB on Graphics. And I never have any programs running when I do stuff, like to keep as few as possible running. But it is still weird why it lags so much, okej that my processor isn't all that good with it's few 2.0Ghz, but there are still 2 of them and with no other programs running, shouldn't they focus more on the game? And I also blame vista, even if it is the problem or not, better to blame something
Quote by groose
okej, but then I still have tops 2.5GB RAM, even it the games doesn't take up all 1.5GB on Graphics. And I never have any programs running when I do stuff, like to keep as few as possible running. But it is still weird why it lags so much, okej that my processor isn't all that good with it's few 2.0Ghz, but there are still 2 of them and with no other programs running, shouldn't they focus more on the game? And I also blame vista, even if it is the problem or not, better to blame something

Quote by Masonpwiley
Because you don't have a graphics card. Yo have an integrated chipset that shares 1.5GB of memory with your system RAM. Graphics RAM isn't a rating of how good the graphics card (or integrated graphics) is. If you want to play games, you need a good graphics card, which you can't change in a laptop.

If you are going to blame something, blame your integrated graphics. You need a real graphics card. It's not Vista's fault.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Jan 23, 2009,
Quote by Masonpwiley
Fixed, because age doesn't determine how good it is.

yeah... by new i meant direct x 10 compatible... i would only get a nvidia pre installed computer anyway.

OOO also what type of processor do you have dude? intel is better for gaming than AMD, which quite a lot of laptops use.
Quote by SG_dave
yeah... by new i meant direct x 10 compatible... i would only get a nvidia pre installed computer anyway.

OOO also what type of processor do you have dude? intel is better for gaming than AMD, which quite a lot of laptops use.

ATI is just as good as nvidia. And having AMD isn't going to instantly kill his performance. It's the integrated graphics and nothing else.
^ Jupp, AMD. Well then, have to find some other games or stop playing, which I rarely do anyways
Quote by Masonpwiley

No it isn't. His processor isn't the problem.

Actually, now that I think about it, what laptop do you have TS, because a video card that uses 1.5GB memory seems a little bit more than they would put in an average laptop
Quote by masterk1818

He just keeps thrusting

^Talking about his dog

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

but there isn't any solution for me but to buy a new computer if I want to play I guess?
It's a memory share unit not dedicated memory that you would see on a standard chipset.
Quote by wlcm2themachine
Actually, now that I think about it, what laptop do you have TS, because a video card that uses 1.5GB memory seems a little bit more than they would put in an average laptop

A new Acer Aspire 5535
Quote by JackalUK
It's a memory share unit not dedicated memory that you would see on a standard chipset.

But it still has 256 dedicated memory it saies
Quote by wlcm2themachine
No, it shares 1.5GB with the system RAM. They made it share so much to make it look good when it really doesn't matter. Once again, RAM isn't what determines how good the graphics are.
Quote by Masonpwiley
No, it shares 1.5GB with the system RAM. They made it share so much to make it look good when it really doesn't matter. Once again, RAM isn't what determines how good the graphics are.

It has 256 dedicated videomemory
upon some investigation into your graphics card, i have to agree with masonpwiley, it is your graphics card. The thing is made for HD and Blu Ray movies but it is not a gaming card...good call mason
Quote by masterk1818

He just keeps thrusting

^Talking about his dog

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

Which in this day and age is unfourtunately not very good. You can play half life 2 fairly well though.
okej thanks guys finally some good answers. Report this thread so they can close it, waste of space in the pit.