Hello all,

This is my first post but I've been lurking for a while now. I just wanted to share my first major guitar playing breakthrough. For the last week and a half I've been practicing chromatic scales to help train my fingers and pick to stay in time. Two days ago I was stuck around 60 BPM, but last night I started at 60 BPM and I went nearly eight minutes without a mistake, so I started to speed up the metronome and made it to 100 BPM before I started to make small mistakes (Fret buzzing). So I decided to see how fast I could go before my technique really started to break down. About two hours later I made it all the way up to 208 BPM with little more then a fret buzz here and there and a couple of missed upstrokes. Playing at above 100 BPM obviously needs work but it felt really good, even though I had to make a conscious effort to keep my pick hand relaxed.

Just thought I would share my experience, maybe it would benefit someone.

Obligatory Gear Sig
--------------------------

Sovereign Stratocaster <--- Yeah I got it from Sears
Gorilla 10W Amp <--- It was really cheap and I had little money
ahhh good work. if you do that on a regular basis and you're patient at the lower tempo's, you'll be shredding like a monster in no time

pushing yourself and going up to the highest speed you can is also very healthy for your technique; some people have reccomended doing that at the very end of an extensive practise session
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
You tripled your speed in two hours?

I wouldn't say I tripled my speed in two hours. I simply pushed my self to play that fast. It was very obvious that my technique was breaking down at over 100 BPM. So I would call that about a 40% increase in a week and a half.

I think that muscle memory was finally kicking in though.
Obligatory Gear Sig

Schecter Omen-6
Fender J.A.M. 75W
Congrats man. That's the attitude. Keep at gaining accuracy at slower tempos and every once in awhile blast it out.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
It's good to gradually increase speed but as Shawn Lane says, it's also helpful to not form a memory block by ripping through it so fast it's sloppy and just pick up the notes later.
I think everyone should see this - Shawn Lane talks about speed
Grats on your newfound speed.
Yeah, when I first started my scales, 40bpm was even hard. Now I can do 160-180 comfortably. 200bpm is a good push for me. Its fast enough that I have to really pay attention, but not slow enough that I mess up due to boredom.

Its funny cause if I try to do scales really slow now its hard.
Quote by Billaferd
I wouldn't say I tripled my speed in two hours. I simply pushed my self to play that fast. It was very obvious that my technique was breaking down at over 100 BPM. So I would call that about a 40% increase in a week and a half.

I think that muscle memory was finally kicking in though.

In that case there's no point trying to play that fast - all you're doing is training yourself to play badly, if you don't perfect your technique at slower speeds then it'll never be correct playing faster. The whole point of the exercise is, as you already said, to improve your accuracy and sense of time - if you're not playing accurately and in time then what, exactly, are you practicing? The metronome isn't a speedometer, it's just there to keep the beat for you.

Stop forcing yourself to play faster, it doesn't work. Be patient and focus on being accurate, you'll speed up eventually but you have to be patient...it takes months and years to develop speed, not a couple of hours.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jan 23, 2009,
Congrats.!!
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots