Okay so I have a Fender Blues Jr, which I love. I play on a cheap squier strat but am looking to upgrade to a Les Paul soon. My question is would a tubescreamer or other OD ( like bad monkey, screamin blues) make sense in front of a tube amp with natural OD. MY goal is to get a more distorted sound, not quite like death metal but to achieve classic rock sounds. Any suggestions are welcome.
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
Yes, a tubescreamer will give you a little more oomph going into a tube amp, especially something without a lot of power like a BJ. Has a nice, creamy classic overdrive sound.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
that's the whole meaning of the pedal
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Thnx will that sound be easier to get with the Les paul or strat? I know a lot of people ask this so thnx
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
Either will do. TS's are pretty transparent in terms of coloring tone, so if you want a classic strat sound, you can get it through a TS, if you want a classic Les Paul sound, you can get it through a TS. It's not an aggressive pedal so you maintain the original tone of the guitar.

"Classic rock sound" is a pretty broad term.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
Quote by VisionaryTics
Either will do. TS's are pretty transparent in terms of coloring tone, so if you want a classic strat sound, you can get it through a TS, if you want a classic Les Paul sound, you can get it through a TS. It's not an aggressive pedal so you maintain the original tone of the guitar.

"Classic rock sound" is a pretty broad term.

Humbuckers are probably better for Rock....the line blurs at blues, pop, etc....

And TubeScreamers actually have a pretty nasty mid hump. They aren't as transparent as people would have you think. Look at Maxon OD808s and Keeley Tubescreamers. They're better than the Ibanez ones.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
It will work great if you like the voice of the pedal. I had a TS 808 for awhile, but really didn't care for it. Sold it and got a SuperPlextortion and was in love.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by theoreticmusic
Humbuckers are probably better for Rock....the line blurs at blues, pop, etc....

And TubeScreamers actually have a pretty nasty mid hump. They aren't as transparent as people would have you think. Look at Maxon OD808s and Keeley Tubescreamers. They're better than the Ibanez ones.

+1
I have a Ibanez TS-808. It colours the tone hugely. Don't get me wrong, I love the tone, but it has a lot of mids. My amp is similar to the blues jnr. and I use a strat and get a great rock tone.