Whe yesterday I was jammin' I had some fancy ideas that I put together in this song , it's very progressive considering the time signature changes and maybe the Chords, too , but the structure is quite simple. Some parts sound a bit clumsy without vocals but it's still allright I think.
Hope you enjoy it. Any kind of crit appreciated , leave me a link to your song if you also want it to be critted.

Thanks in Advance
Greymane

Edit: extended the solo with another part , just to bring in more variation and to improove the transition to the outro
Attachments:
Identify (2. Solo ).zip
Last edited by Greymane at Jan 24, 2009,
very Odd sounding. And umm, add some lead guitar, and Its pretty good, very simple, add some complexity to your song, you don't have be really good, just add some more creativity to it. It's pretty good, if you add a lead guitar it'll be a lot better. otherwise, 7.5/10. Crit mine in my sig, either Metaphorical Dementia or There Shall be Vengeance.
Some really cool ideas in here, but without vocals or lead guitar it's a bit lacking.

I think all of your riffs are good, but the time changes constantly get in the way, and kind of stop any kind of natural flow from developing. And a lot of the time changes weren't even needed, a lot of the sections add up to 4/4 time anyway.

I really liked the chorus, really simple, and really effective, a nice bass part for that section too. The solo was also really nice, while not really all that fancy it did have a strong melody.

Anyway, was good, needs some vocals and maybe some more lead guitar and a little smoothing around the edges, but otherwise good.
Hey criting you back.

Not much left to be critted, I really liked the chord progression, just hit me with a cool feeling. And yes the time changed sometimes hurt the flow but other than that it is good. I really like the solo. Umm. Yeah I don't know much about progressive so I don't really know what else to say. Still a good song though. The clean guitar breakdown was very cool.

Btw, about my song I know just about nothing when it comes to music theory or solos, so I could maybe get the rhythm track to the solo but I can't write solo's worth s***
Wow, that was pretty cool, I really liked it! But yeah, you need at least two guitars playing, otherwis it sounds tame. It's not even that important what the other guitar plays, they can just go unison.

Something like this (some parts might need a lead, but it isn't really crusial);
Attachments:
Identify.zip
I really like what you are doing with the intro to this song as far as the syncopation and time sig changes, the drums also reflect this nicely but I think if they were more fill oriented then it might enhance the basic power chord progression better. The groove you find in the first few verses is cool yet simple. THe transition from the bridge to verse IV is really interesting, the soft arpeggios to the distorted arpeggios, I really liked that. The solo flows well but you need to break the tedium of the quarter note patterns and play it with more style and feeling. THe 2nd solo has a nice modal feel to it, sweet. The outro drums could be more driving to better reflect how driving the song was coming outof the solo. Overall great composition
Critting while listening to the song:

Intro:
The shaker really works well in opening the song with nice lead lines.
It kinda reminds me of Metropolis, Pt.1: The Miracle and the Sleeper by Dream Theater which is my favorite song Though I think you could spice it up a little bit and develop it through out the song maybe with the same notes but different
pattern.

Intro II:
Nice chord progression there and a very complex time signature structure. It has simple chords but effective. Looks really know how to handle complex syncopation.
What I can say about this is put some lead melody and modify the drums with fills and some hihat chokes IMO.

Verses I, II:
That's some kick ass rhythm. I like that aggressive sound yet it's simple with basic power chords. I think all it need is some layering of keyboards maybe some simple minor chord progression the same to the bridge after that.

Verses III, IV:
I like the sound of the 3rd verse. It gives an eerie mood with the clean guitar then comes the bridge with very good arpeggios as well as Verse IV.

Chorus:
It flows well with the drums and bass and I really like the sound of the guitar and it's arpeggios. Though I think it should be a bridge then followed by a powerful and melodic chorus.

Solo:
Like k7jetto said, It flows well with a good melody but try to develop it with bends and a little shred and other guitar techiniques. Solo II has an excellent melody. I think it's my favorite part with a very good diminished ending.

Outro:
Nothing to say about it since it's from the first part but it's still good an outro part.

Overall, I think it's a very good composition. It has potential to be an excellent song.
I really enjoyed listening to it.

If you want to see my compositions click in my sig preferably
click The Awakening, Pt. 2 since the newest one
Sorry for the long crit, I just wanted to give a detail to detail post
Thank you good day
Thanks for that crit dude , it was very helpful ..

Quote by nbgreat

Intro:
The shaker really works well in opening the song with nice lead lines.
It kinda reminds me of Metropolis, Pt.1: The Miracle and the Sleeper by Dream Theater which is my favorite song Though I think you could spice it up a little bit and develop it through out the song maybe with the same notes but different
pattern.

actually i tried to develop this lick by picking it up in the base line in the interlude and throughout the first solo ...
concerning the solo itself I tried to keep it a bit the easy way , actually i thought it might get to confusing if it was to difficult as there are a lot of time signature changes throughout the solo itself .. but i might think about adding a few more techniques , but i'm actually also a bit afraid that it could kill the atmosphere that should be built up in the song, wel all in all htank for you crit I really appreciated it