I have just fitted my epiphone les paul custom (white) with two new emg's beacuse When i toggled up there would be as near as makes no difference no sound but when i went down again, it worked.
When i installed the pickups i found that the problem hadnt been fixed.
So i bought a new toggle nd new pots to try and fix the problem.
When i had completed i found that the problem hadnt been fixed, but this time when i toggle up there is sound, and when i toggle down there is no sound.
Can anyone help me with this problem ?????
1 Make sure it is wired as per spec. I'm sure EMG supply wiring diagram.
2 Check cables are not broken inside. Do this with a test meter or low power test light.
3 Check all soldered bits are properly making good contact. Again use the test meter or test lamp across the joints.
Something will show up.
Yeah, like the other guy said. I think that its is wired wrong. Check the color codes of the wires. A lot of times the same color of wire from different manufactures are completely different. Green wire would be white on another pickup and the white would actually be red on another pickup. Every time I work on guitar electronic I always use a cross reference chart. Google: pickup wiring color codes. That may help.
Last edited by Adam Loeke at Jan 23, 2009,
What about sound in the middle position?

If the 'down' is shorted out (grounded to earth by accident) = probably be no sound, bad wiring = might just get the 'top' position sounds.

Just to confirm, are you using a stereo jack and 25k pots?
hi everyone
no joy im afraid probelms include:
a huge volume difference in the frount and back pickup
no tone at all on either of the pickups
any help would be much appreciated
Quote by frantic***
hi everyone
no joy im afraid probelms include:
a huge volume difference in the frount and back pickup
no tone at all on either of the pickups
any help would be much appreciated

If you want us to help you better, it would help if you could draw out, or take a picture of the wiring.
what amp are you using, you said that they both sound the same right?

Then one didn't work, shoow us a pic of your wiring
Ive got everything working now apart from two things.
Firstly when I turn the volume to 0, I can still hear sound coming through the amp when I play.
Secondly when i change to the bridge pickup there is so much buzz I can't play properly. When I touch the strings or the bridge the buzz gets worse but then when i let go it stops.
Is this just a grounding problem for the buzzing ???
turn your volume knob up
Guitars:
Custom les paul copy with sun inlay
Epiphone les paul custom with emg 81/85
Hondo 80's star shape(project)
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
mxr doubleshot distortion
amp:
Raven rg100