Up until about a week ago pinch harmonics were working on the SG but then they just kinda "stopped".
If I play unplugged I still get the harmonic ringing and they work on my other guitar.
I've tried out some different picks and stuff but it just doesn't work.
Also, if I do the harmonic and then turn up the guitars volume it isn't there but if I turn down the volume again you can still hear the harmonic ringing...

I had it setup three days before this happened.

edit: I changed the strings today and the harmonics worked again!
For 5 minuites, now they stopped and I'm back with the exact same problem...
They ring, but they don't come out of the amp.
Last edited by Nilpferdkoenig at Jan 24, 2009,
New strings might be needed.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
New strings might be needed.

I think that I got new ones with the set up.

edit: I just checked them, they look ****ing old.
I'll get some first thing in the morning
Maybe its something to do with the amp. Get the amp checked out. Try pinched harmonics with another guitar plugged into it
Your probably used to having your picking hand in a certain place for the harmonics. Since it has been set up, the correction of the intonation makes the "sweet spot" on the string in a slightly different place.
Quote by Hella_Br00tal
Active Pickups? Replace the battery.

passives, Tony Iommi sig pickups if that helps

Quote by theotherguy7145
Maybe its something to do with the amp. Get the amp checked out. Try pinched harmonics with another guitar plugged into it

They work fine with my Strat and my friends LP, it isn't the amp.

Quote by one vision
This might be stupid, but check your EQ.

Harmonics come out better if there's more treble.

My gains are at 5 and 10 and trebles at 7 and 10 plus my pickups are high out-put and very trebley, it isn't that.

Quote by Adam Loeke
Your probably used to having your picking hand in a certain place for the harmonics. Since it has been set up, the correction of the intonation makes the "sweet spot" on the string in a slightly different place.

I had it setup and it worked well for 3 days and then it capsized.
Last edited by Nilpferdkoenig at Jan 23, 2009,
Is it a Gibson or Epi?
'Cos if it's epi I can help ya
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by Ian hawkins
Is it a Gibson or Epi?
'Cos if it's epi I can help ya

Epiphone! It's an Epiphone G-400! Please
measure the distant of your pickups to your strings when fretted please or take pics
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by SquierLolz
measure the distant of your pickups to your strings when fretted please or take pics

I'd say it's about half a centimetre when fretted, it's hight changes by only 1 milimetre when fretted, Tuno-o-matic bridge.

I can get a really weak harmonic by doing a pinch just before the bridge pickup instead of about inbetween the bridge and neck like I usually do.

lower the pickup just a tiny bit

maybe it works
lolshoes
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by SquierLolz
lower the pickup just a tiny bit

maybe it works
lolshoes

does is my socks sir

Lower it?
How do I do that?
turn the little screws next to the PU counter clockwise
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by SquierLolz
turn the little screws next to the PU counter clockwise

lol, I don't a screwdriver made for chipmunks
you can use a normal one fool

/mr.t
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Dont lower the pickups, sometimes pinch harmonics dont ring out well when your action is a bit too low. Try raising your action a little bit at a time until the harmonic rings out.
you say you can hear the harmonics acoustically?

usually, if the note is being choked dead from low action, then you wont hear it acoustically either.

but either way, check out the green link in my sig.

talks about pup height, action adjustments, and chipmunk screwdrivers.

all in the first post. look it over then repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
maybe the pickups are messing up. maybe the connections are a little messed, did you try on both pickups?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by jj1565
you say you can hear the harmonics acoustically?

usually, if the note is being choked dead from low action, then you wont hear it acoustically either.

but either way, check out the green link in my sig.

talks about pup height, action adjustments, and chipmunk screwdrivers.

all in the first post. look it over then repost.

Yep your right, I guess I didnt read clearly enough. thanks for correcting me.
^could still be it. maybe it's just not as strong a signal because there's not enough room to ring out?

but yeah, you;ll want to try both pups too.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Is your guitar on the bridge pickup? I know I had a bit of a problem with that a few days ago, but it turned out I had just left my toggle in the neck position silly me. "...no wonder I couldn't hit that squeal on Templars of Steel..."
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Is your guitar on the bridge pickup? I know I had a bit of a problem with that a few days ago, but it turned out I had just left my toggle in the neck position silly me. "...no wonder I couldn't hit that squeal on Templars of Steel..."

Thats what I was going to say. Pinch harmonics work better with the bridge pickup. They are hard to do when you are using both pickups.
My Stuff:
Epiphone SG
Jackson DK2M
Dean DOFlage ML
Dean Razorback db
VOX Valvetronix VT30
EHX Metal Muff
Dunlop Crybaby
Digitech RP90

Add me...
I was originally posting that to be a smartass, but then I remembered I had the same problem, and I felt all dirty inside without lending a helping hand
@everyone above:

Yes, I'm using the bridge pickup with sufficient gain.
Yes, I hear them unplugged
My action is actually very low I think
jj1565, I have signatures deactivated, would you mind posting the link?
Post a sound clip bro. These answeres that you are getting are pretty stupid to be honest. Post a clip with you trying a harmonic with the gain ALL the way up. Also try to get a natural harmonic in there. PLay G on the low E and then tap the string at the 12th fret. Also, don't do any of the things that were suggested by SquierLolz.
Quote by customisbetter
Post a sound clip bro. These answeres that you are getting are pretty stupid to be honest. Post a clip with you trying a harmonic with the gain ALL the way up. Also try to get a natural harmonic in there. PLay G on the low E and then tap the string at the 12th fret. Also, don't do any of the things that were suggested by SquierLolz.

My sister took my microphone with her to Vienna :/

edit: I recorded a clip of them working on my Strat and of them sounding very weak/not working on my SG

I recorded them with my cell phone, quality isn't very good.

Check Profile
Last edited by Nilpferdkoenig at Jan 24, 2009,
It sounds like they are working, but you are just hitting the string in the wrong place. You can get a variety of different sounds by touching different parts of the strings. Just rock a note while moving your right hand back and forth on the string. you will find it. i had to do that on my new guitars...
Quote by customisbetter
It sounds like they are working, but you are just hitting the string in the wrong place. You can get a variety of different sounds by touching different parts of the strings. Just rock a note while moving your right hand back and forth on the string. you will find it. i had to do that on my new guitars...

It's just frustrating that I used to be able to do them all over the string...
Quote by customisbetter
sorry bro, thats how almost all guitars work. you have to explore.

Explore!

Thanks to everyone who helped, I'll just work on this one.

Threads over
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Threads over

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
because you asked, here's the link.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602241

and don't listen to the other guy that says this has nothing to do with the setup.

if you used to be able to do them on this guitar prior to setup, and still can do them on a different guitar. you can hear them ringing out, but not as loud.

then it's not stupid to assume there's been a change in the setup that's preventing the strings from ringing in the way they were before.

if you want to "explore" that, then go ahead. it's your guitar. good luck.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62