I'm lookin for a guitar which is alike a rickenbacker tone wise ? (You know kind of the british invasion guitar tone)I wish i could get a real rickenbacker but problem is I dont have £900+ in monies . I would like to achieve sounds of Peter buck (REM), Johnny Marr (The Smiths) and other guitarists who have used rickenbackers Jeff Buckley, The Edge (U2), Paul Weller (solo/the jam.) So any recommendations?
Italia make quite a lot of retro-ish guitars, the Rimini is probably the closest to a Rickenbacker, it comes in 6 and 12-string varieties too. A Gretsch Electromatic would also get you pretty close, I know Johnny Marr used Gretsches quite a lot, I think Peter Buck occasionally picks one up too. If you want something really cheap the Danelectro '59 has a certain Rickenbackery vibe to it.

If you're after a direct copy, Indie make one that from a distance looks exactly like a Rickenbacker, and Tokai make one that looks exactly like a Rickenbacker from very close up and it's rather cheekily called the Rockinbetter (which is written on the headstock in the Rickenbacker font...)

Hope this helped, it's good to see other guitarists eternally lusting after Rickenbackers...
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Quote by Tombe
Italia make quite a lot of retro-ish guitars, the Rimini is probably the closest to a Rickenbacker, it comes in 6 and 12-string varieties too. A Gretsch Electromatic would also get you pretty close, I know Johnny Marr used Gretsches quite a lot, I think Peter Buck occasionally picks one up too. If you want something really cheap the Danelectro '59 has a certain Rickenbackery vibe to it.

If you're after a direct copy, Indie make one that from a distance looks exactly like a Rickenbacker, and Tokai make one that looks exactly like a Rickenbacker from very close up and it's rather cheekily called the Rockinbetter (which is written on the headstock in the Rickenbacker font...)

Hope this helped, it's good to see other guitarists eternally lusting after Rickenbackers...

thanks, ive been looking into danelectro's and gretsch electromatic pro jets so thats good. Do you have any idea if the dano's 56/59/63 have a much difference in sound?
Quote by Slay 'Em
Turn down your bass all the way and boost mids/highs.

I'm preferably looking for a new guitar because my squier affinity strat doesnt cut it. Thanks anyway.
Quote by RHCP_Nirvana_FF
thanks, ive been looking into danelectro's and gretsch electromatic pro jets so thats good. Do you have any idea if the dano's 56/59/63 have a much difference in sound?

They're all pretty similar as far as I know, the 56 will probably have a slightly warmer sound since it's a single-cut whilst the rest are double-cuts.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Quote by Tombe
They're all pretty similar as far as I know, the 56 will probably have a slightly warmer sound since it's a single-cut whilst the rest are double-cuts.

Thanks one more thing are they all semi hollow chambered on the inside?
My variax spends alot of it's time on the rickenbacker setting.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by RHCP_Nirvana_FF
Thanks one more thing are they all semi hollow chambered on the inside?

I know the 59 and 63 are but I'm not sure about the 56.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by scott58
My variax spends alot of it's time on the rickenbacker setting.

Same here. It seems kinda sterile though. I prefer to use my Fender Jazzmaster (japanese '62 reissue) for those kind of chimey tones though as it has a certain jangle sound to it which you don't normally expect from a Jazzmaster due to the "fake" jazzmaster pickups the japanese stock model has.

@tombe: the Rimini looks the most rickenbacker-ish, but mini humbuckers?? are you sure they'll offer a rickenbackerish jangle? Rickenbackers usually have overwound single coils which sound closer to P-90s, rather than humbucker tones. I guess it'd really be a "try before you buy" thing, they do market it as having the "British invasion" guitar tone, but i'm skeptical.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
Same here. It seems kinda sterile though..

Get an EQ My Variax got 100X better after I hung an mxr 10 band on it.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by Blompcube

@tombe: the Rimini looks the most rickenbacker-ish, but mini humbuckers?? are you sure they'll offer a rickenbackerish jangle? Rickenbackers usually have overwound single coils which sound closer to P-90s, rather than humbucker tones. I guess it'd really be a "try before you buy" thing, they do market it as having the "British invasion" guitar tone, but i'm skeptical.

I've read quite a few reviews that say that sonically it's quite similar to a Rickenbacker. I wouldn't have expected it either with those pickups though.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣