With a price tag of $950 (as opposed to $1200 for a standard one) and the same pickups as the Standard Flying V, would this particular guitar be worth getting. I have about $700 saved up, and with a 10% coupon knocking $95 off the sale price, $950 is alot easier to save up as opposed to the $1200 standard V. Any thoughts?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Faded-Flying-V-102935913-i1149297.gc
wish it came in different colors, though.
Get the Standard if you can hold out. You'll thank yourself later. I't a nicer guitar.
the standard is a nicer guitar in general. for that small of a price difference you'll be wise to wait.
I agree with Loeke.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
those guitars used to go for $500, and I didnt like them then. My friend has an epiphone koa V and that thing is beautifull. If you really want a gibson keep saving up for the standard.
I actually like the finish on the Faded Series. It doesn't show smudges and fingerprints all all and the necks feel nice too. Although I'd try to find an older one (around 2000) because they switched the finish type a few years back. I'm not what they switched to or from, but I know the older ones have a better finish

EDIT: I was curious about the finishes and did some research. Turns out the only difference between the Faded and Standard is the finish itself and the control knobs. Same pickups and hardware. They both start off in production as the same guitar. I don't believe an extra $250 is worth the nitro finish...

Also on another note: Dean 79' V's have a better build quality than the Standard/Faded Gibson V's. My Gibson's neck (exluding the volute and fretboard) is made of 4 different pieces of wood. The neck itself is made of 2 pieces but the glue joint is off center and the headstock has a strip glued to the side to make room for tuners. The Dean headstocks are hella bigger and they don't even do that.

I really hate to admit it, but the Korean Deans have a better build standard than American made Gibsons. You even have the option of a Flamed Maple Top, all for half the price of the Gibson
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Jan 23, 2009,
I've heard that the recent models aren't very good at all. Some of the ones from the early 2000s were hit and miss (but aren't all Gibsons nowadays?), but my Faded V feels FAR nicer than any Standard I've played. Neck- mm. Obviously, those Ibanez Wizard necks shred V necks to pieces, but they play really well regardless. Quick and comfortable. The lack of a finish gives it a really great tone. Can't put my finger on it, but there's a subtle difference.

Think mine was made in 2001.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by MusicalMinority
Think mine was made in 2001.

Can you post the serial number? I may be able to tell you when it was made haha
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

I actually like the faded finishes better myself. The shiney ones show fingerprints and dust really bad. It seems easier to keep my Gibson Faded V clean than it is my shiney guitars. I wouldn't pay the extra money but if you like the finish better then go for it.
The faded/worn finish Gibsons are just as good the the more expensive nitrocelulose finisshed versions, your paying $400.00 just for is the shiny finsh. I have tried both versions and I actually bought a faded/worn Explorer. I tried two other regualr finsh Explorers just to see if there was a difference and they sounded exactly the same. I was lucky to pay on $499.99 for my Explorer with HSC because they marked it down for some strange reason the guitar is mint. If you like it go for it. I doubt you'll be disapointed.

John
I'd say get an Jackson RR3.

But that's just me.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Thanks guys. I'll probably head back to Guitar Center to play the Faded again

Do people generally like the RR3s? How about the Dean Dave Mustaine ($1000)? I like the V designs, just trying to find a good one.
RR3s would be perfect if they were neck-thru. RR5s, however, are teh secks.
If you can find an older (Mid 80's) Hamer or Dean V, snag it. Those are some sweet playing instruments!

The Mustaine V's are becoming one of Dean's best selling designs. Very well built instruments, I kinda want one to be honest
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

I have a Faded V and another difference between that and the Standard is that the Faded V comes with a gig bag instead of a hardshell case.
The best thing for you is to go to the store and try as many different ones as you can. That is the only way to really tell which one you prefer. If the faded doesn't bother you (I like it) then go for it. Just try to play a few different ones to rule out the hit and miss quality issues.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Get the faded V with three humbuckers.

Really now whats the point of 3 Humbuckers? I have owned many guitars in my lifetime and never had one with 3. Im old school tho Its either 2 hummers, 2hummers with a middle single coil, or the basic strat coils. I seen the jonas brothers on some halftime show and they had a gibson with 3 humbuckers and i thought it was the gayest lookin guitar or maby the person p[layin it I cant remember jager is good lol.
I never thought the 3 humbucker thing looked right on a guitar. It's just a little too much hardware for 1 instrument
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

omg for the love of god get that dave mustaine angel of death flying v. its soo much better and cooler in everyway.
Quote by DimeLvR
Really now whats the point of 3 Humbuckers? I have owned many guitars in my lifetime and never had one with 3. Im old school tho Its either 2 hummers, 2hummers with a middle single coil, or the basic strat coils. I seen the jonas brothers on some halftime show and they had a gibson with 3 humbuckers and i thought it was the gayest lookin guitar or maby the person p[layin it I cant remember jager is good lol.

Seriously. Unless you've got a six-way switch to take advantages of the potential, I think it really hurts the guitar more.
Quote by Flux'D
The Mustaine V's are becoming one of Dean's best selling designs. Very well built instruments, I kinda want one to be honest

I like the looks of the Dave Mustaine V's but I don't like the shape of the neck. They just don't feel right to me. I like a Gibson style neck and Dave likes a Jackson style neck.