I don't really fully understand the concept of SPDIF..

Can I take a regular guitar or microphone cable and use a converter/adapter or something to make it go in to SPDIF inputs?

I'm asking because I'm trying to record drums, but I only have 2 inputs on the MBox 2 and I need more.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
I'm not sure about the MBox 2 but with my interface you can only record from 2 inputs at once. No matter what inputs you use.
Quote by maggot9779
I'm not sure about the MBox 2 but with my interface you can only record from 2 inputs at once. No matter what inputs you use.

Do you use Protools LE? What interface do you have?
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Spdif only carries a digital signal, you need a seperate preamp that converts your mic into a digital spdif signal... in other words, no you either need another interface or a preamp with a a/d converter in it.
Quote by DiveRightIn63
Do you use Protools LE? What interface do you have?

I use Cubase, I have a Fast Track Pro aswell. Not the best interface in the world but it suits me
I don't know about MBOX2, but SPDIF is the same format used in digital stereo equipment and allows for transmission of a stereo digital audio signal of high quality, including Dolby Digital like in a home theatre. It is connects using a coax (that looks like an RCA audio cable) or an optical connector.

I have SBlive 24 bit sound card with SPDIF capability, but it requires a small adapter (about $15) to use SPDIF. I connect my mixer's SPDIF coaxial output to the coaxial input of the SPDIF adapter, and from there it goes to the input of the sound card-and its all digital with very low latency. So everthing connected to my mixer (mics, guitars, etc) is sent to PC via SPDIF cable.