Hey there.

I haven't tried a guitar with noiseless pickups yet (they didn't have any at the store), but the guitar tech at a store near my house told me that noiseless pickups just "suck" the sound when the strings aren't vibrating.
Keyword here being "suck".

So, if i understood correctly, Noiseless pickups will do what a noise supressor does, right?

Because i'm thinking about getting new pickups, and noiseless could be an option.
But not if they behave like a noise supressor, that just sucks the sound beneath a certain threshold.

The sound curve when you stop playing when you're using a noise supressor becomes abrupt like a "\", instead of the normal, smoother curve. I don't like that.

So, Noiseless pickups.
They act like a noise supressor, or they're just wired differently so they don't pickup so many electromagnetic interferences?
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
noiseless pickups are based off of two ideas :

alternative magnet choices that produce less hum (neo-vin magnets). these typically sound weak

OR

stacked wound single coils, which are actually humbuckers in a small single coil. These typically are too hot to sound like SC (rails pickups).

HOWEVER, Lace.... of all people... has saved the day. They have a new patented stacked single coil, it has two coils inside, yet still the same single coil pole pieces, they are the Grail Series or whatever. My buddy at guitar center bought some for his MIJ strat, they sound GREAT.

I had a conversation with Lindy Fralin last week, he is developing a very rad sounding single coil/humbucker combo.

alt
arent noiseless pickups just a stacked humbucker?

*^ah beat me to tha punch*
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Last edited by hoondog at Jan 23, 2009,
no, noiseless pickups magnets are made of special materials that elimanate 50HZ hum (fifty-cycle hum), you find this hum on single coils but not humbuckers, humbuckers cancel the 50HZ hum, that is they "buck" the "hum."

a pickup is basically an antenna, it picks up EVERYTHING. when you play in clean (no distortion) , everything is good. But when you use distortion, it compresses (magnifies) everything, including the "good" frequencies and the "bad" ones like the 50HZ hum.

The 50hz comes from the electricity in the wall, theres nothing you can do to change the wall's electricity. A humbucker cancels the hum because it has 2 magnets running in opposite directions. If the magnets run in the same direction you will still get the 50Hz. It depends on the wiring of the pickup (sieries/parallel wiring).

Even if you play on the so called noiseless pickups, you will still get background noise but without the 50hz hum.

A noise gate does more than just cancel the hum. It cleans your guitar's signal, it cleans you cables, and your pedals. You can also wire it to clean your amp if it has a pre-out/main-in.

So sorry to dissapoint you, but even if you get noiseless pickups, you will still need a noise gate.
Or, you could just buy regular pickups and shield your guitar 100% properly and re-do the grounding circuitry, thus making your guitar far quieter than anything you will EVER play at a place like guitar center.

I did, and it works better at killing noise than any stacked coils I have ever tried.
Quote by deathmetalshred
So sorry to dissapoint you, but even if you get noiseless pickups, you will still need a noise gate.

You didn't get the point. I hate noise gates. It sounds extremely unnatural. I prefer to live with the distortion's residual noise instead of using a gate.

I wanted to know if noiseless pickups act the same way as a gate, because the guitar tech at a nearby store told me they do; and i thought noiseless pu's were simply wired differently to cancel some noise.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I've never looked into it much but I always thought noise gates just cut the signal according to the threshold dB set. Some gates can change the Attack and Release settings for more progressive 'opening' & 'closing' of the gate (ie not abruptly cut off sound).

The noiseless pickups (like Deathmetalshred said) just reduce RF cycle hum which normal SC pickups (well) pickup like an antenna. They don't reduce other noise but do sound different (not necessarily worse) than normal SC.

I'd go to a (different) store and try some out if possible, or check out some samples on the net.
None of the noiseless singles sound the same as regular singles. Some companies do it better than others but to get the out high enough with the amount of space you have to work with you have to use smaller wire. Smaller wire compresses your tone and chokes low end. There are tricks that the good noiseless singles (such and kinmann and lace) use but they can only take you so far. Noiseless singles can sound great and many people prefer the tighter bass and treble boost, but if it's true single tone you are after then the only way to get it is with true single coils.

Quote by LP Addict

I had a conversation with Lindy Fralin last week, he is developing a very rad sounding single coil/humbucker combo.

alt

Does it fit into a single slot or a humbucker slot?
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jan 24, 2009,
Quote by Linkerman
You didn't get the point. I hate noise gates. It sounds extremely unnatural. I prefer to live with the distortion's residual noise instead of using a gate.

I wanted to know if noiseless pickups act the same way as a gate, because the guitar tech at a nearby store told me they do; and i thought noiseless pu's were simply wired differently to cancel some noise.

Dude, I use the most generic noise gate possible, Boss NS2 and if you wire it correctly it wont affect your tone at all. If you wire it to the pedals only it WILL affect your tone and it wont kill the noise coming from the amp. But if you loop the amp through the pedal, It will preserve your tone and it will kill all the noise.

It took me 2 years to figure that out on my own

Go to the ANY Studio in your area, and ask the audio tech to show you the noise gate. Noise Gates are a FACT OF LIFE when it comes to digital recording. even your computer's sound card has a noise gate built in.

But like i said, you need to wire it through the amp, and that way it wont affect your tone. I can email you a sound demo and a diagram if you give me your address.