I used the search but could not find anything. I want to build a double guitar stand out of wood. Here's the catch, I want it to be a tilt back amp stand for my VYPYR 15 with a guitar stand on each side. Also with a drawer for pics capos etc. Anyone have any plans or ideas?
"Music is the only thing that makes sense anymore man, play it loud enough it keeps the demons at bay." - Jojo from ATU
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
Last edited by racertj5 at Jan 24, 2009,
I have an idea, I could draw up a crappy apint daigram if ye want?

EDIT:

- the whole construction is plywood; you know, the thick stuff? about 1cm thick

- apart from the hooks. you can buy rubberised tool hooks in B&Q, homebase etc. and (voice of experience!) they make great guitar hooks.

- the things behind the hooks are just extra bits of ply to stop the thread from poking out the other side, but i wouldn't just slap a bit of scrap on - i'd cut them specially to size and maybe champher them or something - looks a bit more classy

- there's a hole in the back to let air get into the back of the speaker,

- I'd put screws in as many joints as possible if it was me, but that's just personal taste.

- some hidden detail is missing - I forgot to show the hidden detail but there's a square plate in the bottom to hold the drawer in place that'll help the structural integreity aswell. alss, I would have the backplate overhang like the shelf for the amp. for a little bit more strength.

- finishwise, I reckon it'd be sexy with varish, or wax or something - something that shows the grain. I would be tempted to paint/varish/etc. it before it's full assembled for the last time, , I don't know though, I'll have to think about that...

EDIT #2:
didn't read last post sorry, you could just leave the hole out though, and cut a slot for the power cable to sit in.
Last edited by jimRH7 at Jan 23, 2009,
Sure, thank you, i am gonna try and draw 1 up myself as well. I have a few ideas.
"Music is the only thing that makes sense anymore man, play it loud enough it keeps the demons at bay." - Jojo from ATU
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
My main idea is to build a cabinet type thing. It will have a tilted base for the amp to sit on and a closed back which will double as a way to close the back of the amp. It will have a hole for the power chord. I will have a drawer in the bottom to hold pics and amp chords my capo and other small objects. I will a guitar stands OR wall hangars built into the sides. I am leaning more towards stands so that the wood won't have to be super thick. I am on limited space. I have the tools and help from someone with more wood work experience then you could imagine so that is not a problem.
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
Quote by jimRH7
I have an idea, I could draw up a crappy apint daigram if ye want?

EDIT:

- the whole construction is plywood; you know, the thick stuff? about 1cm thick

- apart from the hooks. you can buy rubberised tool hooks in B&Q, homebase etc. and (voice of experience!) they make great guitar hooks.

- the things behind the hooks are just extra bits of ply to stop the thread from poking out the other side, but i wouldn't just slap a bit of scrap on - i'd cut them specially to size and maybe champher them or something - looks a bit more classy

- there's a hole in the back to let air get into the back of the speaker,

- I'd put screws in as many joints as possible if it was me, but that's just personal taste.

- some hidden detail is missing - I forgot to show the hidden detail but there's a square plate in the bottom to hold the drawer in place that'll help the structural integreity aswell. alss, I would have the backplate overhang like the shelf for the amp. for a little bit more strength.

- finishwise, I reckon it'd be sexy with varish, or wax or something - something that shows the grain. I would be tempted to paint/varish/etc. it before it's full assembled for the last time, , I don't know though, I'll have to think about that...

EDIT #2:
didn't read last post sorry, you could just leave the hole out though, and cut a slot for the power cable to sit in.

Nice man, thank you, great ideas. And yeah the slot works too, I mainly just said that in order to show that I wanted to use it toi close off the back of the amp. I am gonna start measuring the amp and stuff tonight.
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
Alright I started designing it, as of now it looks like there will be a "mailbox door" on the front instead of a sliding drawer. The door will be 12" in the front and the back of the cavity will be 3". I will post pics of my plans later if this is unclear. I will also have a shelf that is 9" deep by 17" wide. There will be an 8" tall back wall on this shelf. I will use some tool hooks or guitar wall hangars to hang 1 guitar on each side.
Attachments:
amp cab.jpg
ampfront.jpg
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
very good idea...

is that the picture in the bottom right corner? Its a bit small dont ya recon?
Quote by guitarcam123
very good idea...

is that the picture in the bottom right corner? Its a bit small dont ya recon?

Haha, yeah I just fixed it, I was rushin out the door and just hit save w/o checking it. New one is a side view w/o the side panel on so you can see where the amp would be
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
2 pics up. side and front view.
EDIT: Oops i forgot the hooks, they would be on the top of the side panels.
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
It wont really be a drawer more like a mail box, like, hinge on the bottom and the door opens and theres storage inside.
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
either that or i might raise the amp 4 more inches and put a 6" deep drawer that slides out in the bottom.
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
Also, last update for the night. Lowes has the hooks i need for $0.98
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
Quote by guitar-godfrey
wow im going down to lowes tomorrow, do you know if they have them in the australian lowes?

Doubtful, try Bunnings or Magnet Mart.
Quote by Invader Jim
A post with that many big words just HAS to be right.

Wii FC: 8115 1176 4951 3028
I don't know anything about austrailia. Ok, I fixed the 2 pics, the images are to scale, I am going back to having a normal drawer I think. It will be 3 inches deep, 9 inches long and 17 inches wide.

EDIT: 1 more question, would topheaviness be an issue if the guitars are supported at the very top, if so I will make stands for them so the weight is on the bottom of the stand
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
I don't think so - most of the guitar's weight is in the body, so it'll still have a low centre of gravity either way.
I see you've taken a few pointers from mine; now i'll feel really guilty if anything goes wrong!

main things to watch out for when you're designing things like this is butt joints and unsupported corners - remember a triangle is stronger than a square.
This is a good idea. My woodworking teacher is always bugging me to come up with a project I think I'll do something like it. That's if I decide to keep the vibro king I'm getting in a few days.
dude, think about putting sum wheels on it if ur planning on moving it anywherre with the amp & stuff on it, but if its just 4 ur bedroom, it shud be fine without them
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
Bedroom. If I take it anywhere that would require moving it down the stairs so wheels won't help anyway.
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
Quote by racertj5
Bedroom. If I take it anywhere that would require moving it down the stairs so wheels won't help anyway.

build a little crane in ur window & lower out it...jk but u need to post sum pics of u building it when u start, cus i love seeing how stuff like this is done...good luck & have fun
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
1 issue I thought of is if I upgrade my amp in the future, because as much as it would cost to modify this when it''s do0ne I could build a new 1. However If I upgrade to a bigger sized amp and sell my vypyr I will sell the stand with it so I can get a better price.
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
Bump
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
So, never got around to building this due to time and money. Possibly reviving this project for summer?
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
that's a shame dude I thought this looked an awesome project

HELLO!

I like this idea. I've been looking for something fun to build and this will get my amp off the floor.
Life is about taking risks, as long as the risks aren't too risky.
this is a great idea!

id like to see pics as this comes along!
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
I talked to my grandpa last night, as soon as I find my original plans hes gonna check them out.
Edit: Found them
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
Last edited by racertj5 at Jun 16, 2010,