Hey all,

Deciding on buying one out of these 4 (and the choice is only between these 4 as there both around £40). Unfortunately I am unable to try them out (long distance).

Pocket POD,

Korg AX30g

Boss ME-5 (I hear this one is analogue made in 1980's, not the ME-50)

Boss ME-30

I'll be plugging it into a Fender HRD tube amp and using a Fender Strat.

I don't really mind the absence of actual pedals, just wanting a first time multifx pedal which has versatility to mold and achieve tones for alternative rock such as Muse and Killers, a bit of metal, classic rock, indie. etc, and the best quality sound (out of the 4).

Anyone with any experience with any one of these or both and recommend one I should consider, advice?

Thanks.
Last edited by Noir17 at Jan 23, 2009,
Pocket pod is more of an amp modeler than an effects unit, although an excellent unit it is. Noise gate, tuner, studio quality outputs, plenty of effects, and you can download tones from the Line 6 website.

ME-5 or ME-50? Confuzzled.

In all honesty, multi effects just wont do it for you. Consider what effects you need most and start buying pedals one by one.
Last edited by McShredder at Jan 23, 2009,
For something really cheap with a lot of stuff try the Zoom G2. It even has noise gate and a tuner.
AL
You will be much happier in the end if you get individual pedals.

Alot of people, and even you, may think you are saving money, but the price of those isn't much different than the priced of 3 pretty solid pedals. Plus, you won't necessarily have to replace stompboxes later and a mutifx will most surely be replaced.

Don't ruin your great sounding amp by putting a lackluster sounding multifx unit through it.

I would suggest a wah, delay, chorus, and maybe a nice od pedal.
Cheers for the replies so far. Come on people keep the opinions coming, help a fellow newbie musician!
Start off with multis if you're starting - the Korg ax3000g is the one you want, i think it is based on a vox multi-effects. Find some demos and I'm sure you'll agree with me.
Quote by McShredder
In all honesty, multi effects just wont do it for you. Consider what effects you need most and start buying pedals one by one.

Quote by MAYNARD
You will be much happier in the end if you get individual pedals.

just because you are happier with single pedals, doesnt mean the TS would be. a cheap mfx is a great place to figure out what effects you want. a high quality multi-effects processor can sound very good and be a convinent way to keep a lot of effects in one small package. people on here always talk about single pedals being better, and its just not true.

that said, multi-effects do suck in some aspects. digital distortions almost always sound like crap to me. and with a good amp, the amp and cabinet models are useless at best, and just screw the hell out of your sound at worst. maybe running straight to a PA they could work out, but i wont ever trust them.

so a multi-effects box with studio quality reverbs and delays, with some nicely done phasers, flangers and choruses in there can be just as good or better in ways than your single pedals. and if its got things like a noise gate and compressor, even better.

TS- i havent actually used any of those pedals, so im not sure. the me-5 looks kinda interesting though. reviews seem pretty good.
Look at digitech
Quote by The Spoon
I think this man wins the thread.

Quote by ZeGuitarist
We have a winner.
I'll have to deviate to a degree as you wanted personal experience. Line 6 products always sound too digital to me and I've just never been able to get on with their products. I have limited experience of the Korg but my impression was that it was good enough but nothing special. Boss effects can be quite good as long as it's just the effects you're after as the amp modeling, like Line 6, is too digital for my tastes. Based on my own experience, I'd suggest looking at either a Digitech RP150 (£69) or the RP250 (£125). The effects are very good with excellent computer interface and they're well worth taking a chance with. When I bought my multi fx unit I tried most of the available ones but couldn't do much with the GNX3000 as the only shop that had it in stock was useless. Still, something about it just seemed right so I took a chance and ordered it. Within 24 hours of delivery I was able to get the best sounds I'd ever managed from any of the units I'd tried previously. Honestly, Digitech do some great quality gear for the money.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Adam Loeke
For something really cheap with a lot of stuff try the Zoom G2. It even has noise gate and a tuner.

Yeah and its the worst sounding piece of equipment ever. I can't believe that Zoom is suggested on a website that bashes MG and Spiders so often.

Don't mess up your tube amp's sound with some digital piece of crap.
Tonelab LE. Best Multi-Fx unit out there...

Hell, there is a video on youtube of a guy bicycling on it, pogosticking on it, driving a car over it, driving a van over it, skateboarding on it, and driving a TANK over it. And it still worked just fine.
Get the pocket pod its awesome for what it is but make sure you get the one with the screen.

UG Mods really have no sense of humour.....

Actually after some thought the decision finally came down to Korg AX1500g and a RP150.

Saw a AX1500G on eBay for a decent price and after reading some reviews about it, I went for it! Not sure how it would fair out against a RP150, but here's hoping it'll get me some decent muse/killers sound!

I do plan to go for separate pedals later on, but Im only a newbie guitar player, and a first time pedal buyer, so wouldn't know what kind of tones and effects I'm looking for as whole. So I went multifx as it seemed a good starting point to get familiar with effects and etc and possibly when I'm more intermediate or so I would finally know what pedals to buy . Besides my budget wasn't that big to buy so many pedals as 1 cost about £40-100.
Last edited by Noir17 at Jan 25, 2009,
I would put the extra and get a RP250 they are great pedals i would own one now if websites hadn't let me down.

UG Mods really have no sense of humour.....

if u dont know what sounds u really want go for a multi fx pedal soon as u find out what sound u like sell that fx and get individual pedals there much better or jsut go to like g.c every day for a week and play all the sounds til u know what ur looking for
Quote by Noir17
Saw a AX1500G on eBay for a decent price and after reading some reviews about it, I went for it! Not sure how it would fair out against a RP150, nut here's hoping it'll get me some decent muse/killers sound!
I had an AX1500G. You can get some good distortion and overdrive sounds from it. Good choice.