Whats the difference between pickups that are set high like close to the strings or lower. I dont know the diffence and ive never really expiermented with it so i thought this might be useful to know. Thanks for any help...
The closer it is to the string, the more response you get from it. Louder, higher output [not as much as an active pup, but still]. You have to be careful though, not to set it too high, or it will **** with your playing. If you decide to raise them, put your finger at the highest fret [the skinniest one] and make sure you have at least a millimeter or two of space between the fretted string and the back side of the pickup [towards the neck]. Me personally, I always raise the side near the thicker strings and keep the other side the same, or a bit lower.
also, being too high and your sound can be a bit "muddy". I keep my neck pup relatively low because i strum around that area. my bridge pup i keep halfway up. i rarely play with the bridge pup though.
Higher to the string can also decrease sustain cause the magnets will pull harder on the string.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Higher to the string can also decrease sustain cause the magnets will pull harder on the string.

That's nonsense.
Quote by xxdarrenxx

You're a moron. The magnets aren't strong enough to do that. All the magnets are there for is to pick up the frequency and the vibrations of the strings and turn them into an amplified signal.

Also, don't set them too high or they will touch your strings and completely mute the sound or make it sound like a sitar, if you get it just right =P