Not sure if this is the right place but..
Is there a way to get a clear wave file rather than a block
Because it's hard on FL Studio to know where to cut and edit at each note unless you play perfectly in time.
Do you guys understand what I mean by a block on the wave file? The shape of the wav. If I record natural I can see where each note or stroke starts and ends but with distortion I can't. Anyway around this? I usually add distortion after but I want to record with distortion on from now for a better sound.
Lol no spikes means no dynamics.

This means ur input is clipping beyond the 0db line.

You must record with lower input (less loud).

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by A_Brady
Ok I'll try that thanks.
Would I handle that through my program or the signal coming from my effects pedal?

ur basically playing to loud for the program to handle.

You can try to turn down the volume on ur amp, but if that affect ur tone, then turn down the input lvl in windows sound mixer.

Speaker icon right bottom corner--->Options--->Properties---> Click recording ----> select either line input or mic input or w/e input you use to record----> set the lvl until ur spikes are below the 0 db line.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
best bet is to handle that through both, adjust your input on your recording setup to 0, then lower your input on your pedal (or whatever) so that it peaks as close to 0 as possible when you really hit it as hard as you can. aim for going under 0 if you're going over it, a little tiny bit of compression can keep it under the threshold or bring it up really close to it (i aim for a -0.2 range at max) too much compression will kill your dynamics but just enough can level out the sound. btw, distorted signals tend to get more of a blocky wave than normal clean signals. i'd have to check some of my recordings at home and look at the wav format to see what my distorted sig's looked like last time i recorded dirty direct. i recommend the old way you were using of recording clean and using a distortion plugin for your sound. you have more options available if you do that.