1) It is fashionable of late (especially on the internet) for Europeans to pigeonhole Americans as backward, racist hicks. Has your opinion of America changed now that we have popularly elected a black president?

2) How soon do you expect we'll see a German of Turkish descent holding high office, a Brit of Indian descent, a Franchman of North African descent, etc.?
Death to Ovation haters!
Last edited by PatchworkMan at Jan 23, 2009,
We have been stereo typing Americans as backward racist hicks for ages, Obama doesnt come into it

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
obama freakin is saving your reputation from " racist hicks"
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
Last edited by PETERFKNPARKER at Jan 23, 2009,
Quote by PatchworkMan
1) It is fashionable of late (especially on the internet) for Europeans to pigeonhole Americans as backward, racist hicks. Has your opinion of America changed now that we have popularly elected a black president?

Nope. It's what we do.

2) How soon do you expect we'll see a Turk holding high office in Germany, an Indian holding high office in the UK, a north African holding high office in France, etc.?

Never.
Quite soon. We have a few Asian back benchers.
Again, never.
See, you can target the USA, because well, it's one place with basically the same western culture, but you can't bash Europe because their are many different countries with many different views on the USA.

I live in America, but was born in Canada, and as of now consider myself a citizen of the USA, as well as a citizen of Canada, (dual).

These stereotypes will always be around, Americans are backwards, racist hicks, Canada only has one season, (winter) and various stereotypes of European countries.

If you really do care how you look to a 16 year old english teenager, fly to his house and engage him in conversation over crumpets and tea, and if you don't care, good for you, someone 40000 miles away doesn't really matter.

/Rant
Poop.

Yes, poop.
In reference to question 2, is this like how you have an AMERICAN as the president of America?
That, my friend, was a fail of epic proportions!

The Pit's new name:
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Gentleman's Society for the Careful Discussion of Sensitive Issues, Covering (But Not Limited To) Religion, Politics, Fruit and The Female Form.

MY GOATS WERE CRYING
1. no
2. dunno, but it wouldnt put me of voting for them
Sig space available, give me some praise
Quote by khazzar
In reference to question 2, is this like how you have an AMERICAN as the president of America?

I should have worded things better. I am referring to the ethnic minorities in those countries, not people coming in from outside those countries.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by PatchworkMan

2) How soon do you expect we'll see a Turk holding high office in Germany, an Indian holding high office in the UK, a north African holding high office in France, etc.?

1) I never really categorised the Americans as that, I love America and plan to move there ASAP. and generally those who do exercise those stereotypes, acknowledge that they are minorities and not all of Americans

2) I don’t know if that will ever happen. It depends on what background you mean by Indian, Turk etc. do they have to have been born in India? or just of Indian blood. I don’t know the details but I assume there are regulations on who can be the British Prime Minister e.g: family being British citizens for X years
HADOUKEN!! Click For UG's Street Fighter Group

Quote by synpet713192

I'd never seen you around until very recently, but this and the other pic have caused me to worship you
We've been stereotyping Americans since for ever, everybody gets stereotyped by everyone else. America isn't being singled out in the least.

Well, in Britain, I don't think there's anything holding back an Indian from gaining high office, apart from the racism in some people themselves. As far as I'm aware there hasn't been any legislated racism in Britain for hundreds fo years, if at all. We were the first country to abolish slavery and there were free black men in Elizabethen England.

The chances are slim, I suppose, but in Britain it's more of a class issue than a race issue; and there aren't too many upper class established Indians - as far as I'm aware. And also, only 4% of the UK's population is from South Asia/India, I think there proportion of Blacks in America is much higher.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by PatchworkMan

Meh I dunno, I think america as a whole is a bit too big to apply an universal stereotype like that. As far as I'm concerned midwest = racist hicks, california = fairly open-minded, progressive etc... but that's just from what I see in newspapers etc...

turk in germany - never.
indian in UK - no idea
north african in France - never.
It's probably because of the media. American films and TV (at least everything broadcast over here in "Europe") show only the racist and hedonistic elements of American culture. Why exactly this is, I don't know.

Note: I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets really pissed off when Americans generalize about everyone in Europe by classifying us as "Europeans". Europe has just as many different cultures as America (possibly more), so tagging Brits, Spaniards and Swedes under "European" doesn't really improve the stereotype.

*Deploys flameshield*
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by HeWhoOwns
Now that I think about it, I'm not a "european" UGer since I live in Switzerland

Geographically, dude; also, you lucky bastard. If we're going politically then I'm half European, and the same with Geography, too actually.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
In Britain we always use the excuse of "policy over personality" but I'd expect the same focus on race that the Americans used if a black/indian politician went for the top job in the UK. Britain's a very multi-cultural society so I'd expect to see a black/indian PM before countries like Italy, Spain etc.
Quote by PatchworkMan

2) How soon do you expect we'll see a German of Turkish descent holding high office, a Brit of Indian descent, a Franchman of North African descent, etc.?

1) Probably but I myself am pro-American.

2) Nope.
1. No

2. The question isn't relevent. In america you have a huge proportion of african americans living in your country. Indians don't live in Britian for example in the huge proportions that are in america. We may have one, i don't think it would put off anyone voting for them, but as i said, the situations are different
Quote by PatchworkMan

1) sometimes. No.
2) soon enough
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
Quote by MyGuitarAndMe
1. No

2. The question isn't relevent. In america you have a huge proportion of african americans living in your country. Indians don't live in Britian for example in the huge proportions that are in america. We may have one, i don't think it would put off anyone voting for them, but as i said, the situations are different

The situations aren't as different as you'd like to think. There are sizable ethnic minority groups in all the countries I mentioned. It's tougher to pick one in the UK, because the UK is so diverse, but replace "Indian" with any and all other minorities in the UK and the point stands.
Death to Ovation haters!
I really think europeans in general are a bunch of pussies.

Compared to americans who don't care enough to go around talking **** about europeans. I'm european by the way..
Quote by buddha
isnt there a law against not shaving? thats somewere in our constitution. i think it goes something like a girl maybe be a freak in the sheets but no be wild down stairs is treason and for that she will be beheaded.-good old Benjamin F.