Ok i've been reading a lot lately on music theory, i've grasepd the concept of the circle of fifths, how it works and what it does. I know how to construct a major and minor scale and how to construct all the various triads from the major and minor keys. I've also covered inversions and voicings.

What i don't understand though is how i know what minor chords will go with each key? for example if i'm playing in the key of C, how do i know what minor chords fit into that scale... obviously no sharp or flat chords will fit into that key but how does this relate to the minors?

Thanks
You just said you know how to construct triads from the major scale. Form triads from the C major scale and the minor chords formed will be the minor chords in that key.

I'll even help you out a bit by giving you the chords in F major: F Gm Am Bb C D Edim.
If you want you can tell the relative minor using the circle of fifths. For example the scale of Am is the relative scale to C major and they can be intertwined.

Bangoodcharlote is absolutely correct, if you spell out the triads in the key of C, you will see that there are already minor triads within the scale and those are the triads you can use.

Here's an example. The chords in C major are: C Dm Em F G Am Bdim
Quote by bangoodcharlote
You just said you know how to construct triads from the major scale. Form triads from the C major scale and the minor chords formed will be the minor chords in that key.

I'll even help you out a bit by giving you the chords in F major: F Gm Am Bb C D Edim.

The way i understood it was, the key of F: F G A B♭ C D E

the circle of fifths tells you that the key of F has one flat, the B♭

so the chords are Fmaj Gmaj Amaj B♭maj Cmaj Dmaj and Emaj

obviously this isn't the case, why not?

thanks
Quote by sleazydan

thanks

Yeah, it has one flat which is Bb. The way I like to tell people to look at it is to stack 3rds to get a triad and to add the appropriate accidentals for that key.

In F maj there is only one flat, as you said, so if you were to try and make a ii chord, using G.

You would go G - B - D, then add the flat to B. Then the quality of this chord would be minor.
Quote by sleazydan
You form the chords in a scale with the notes in the scale. You said you know how to form major and minor chords from a scale. Just do that.

If you find that you do not know how to do that, please read the link in my sig.
Quote by sleazydan

thanks
because G major is G B D. There is no B in the Fmajor scale so it must be G Bb D which is Gm

Similarly Amajor is A C# E. In the F major scale there is no C# it is C. So it must be A C E which is Am.

Etc.

You need to look into "harmonizing the major scale" do a search on this and you will find it all.
Si
The formula my instructor gave me for finding out the keys is you start out on the note you want. Then you go a full step, full step, half step, full step, full step, full step, and finally one last half step.
So, shouldnt F major be:

F-G-A-Bflat-C-D-E-F

EDIT: sorry, i misread your posts...
"The object of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the other bastard die for his" -General George S. Patton
Last edited by justnmcknz at Jan 23, 2009,
Quote by 20Tigers
because G major is G B D. There is no B in the Fmajor scale so it must be G Bb D which is Gm

Similarly Amajor is A C# E. In the F major scale there is no C# it is C. So it must be A C E which is Am.

Etc.

You need to look into "harmonizing the major scale" do a search on this and you will find it all.

Ok that's where i'm going wrong, thanks for the help!