We've been recording rough demo's just screwin around with my toneport UX2 and a couple mics all band playing at once record then seperate tracks for vocals and of course expecting just mediocore to poor results.... Anyways to my question. We are gonna try tomorrow to seperately track all the instruments starting in this order.
Drums
Bass
Rht. Guitar
Lead
Vocals

What kind of ideas do y'all use for the drummer to know when his changes are coming up without hearing us play guitar/singin etc.? We were thinking about (If we can get the headphones LOUD enough) Recording on 1 track the whole band playing together then making a new track for drums in which he has headphones on hearing us play and playing to it, then doing the same with the other instruments untill complete then removing track 1. Any comments/suggestions??? Thanks in advance for any input on this!
What kind of ideas do y'all use for the drummer to know when his changes are coming up without hearing us play guitar/singin etc.?

Generally, you play the song as a band until you've all got it memorized, THEN you record it -

Why would you record it when you don't know where the change ups are?
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Generally, you play the song as a band until you've all got it memorized, THEN you record it -

Why would you record it when you don't know where the change ups are?

when your drummer has add? Also in the case of my drummer, you sing ONE line and he knows where he is, thats all he needs but if not sometimes he can get a bit lost.

You could always record a track saying, CHORUS AFTER THIS RIFF! That or if he can play with just guitar, just do a guitar track.. or just a guitar + vox track
His ADD is so severe that he can't count in his head to four - as in four times around; five times around, then switch? If the guy's ADD is so awful he can't count four cycles of a song to switch drum patterns, he probably shouldn't drive or live alone either.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
How about doing the bass track at the same time. If you are doing the bass track as a line in then it will not even bleed into the mics.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
If he really can't remember or you guys cant tape a piece of paper somewhere with the parts and when to change on it then your best bet would be some really good headphones. My old drummer had a set that blocked out almost everything to where you could hear the song you wanted to learn through the headphones and barely hear what you were playing.

They're probably expensive though.
One King to Watch The Horsemen Fall

I'll fight 'till the end
Can he play to a click if you're all together in the room? I'll elaborate more if he can. If he can't... I'll save myself the typing.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Well I would play it all together letting him lead and control the rythm the way you want it done-he does not have to hit it perfect, just maintain the rythm. Just record all that as stereo track with a couple mics or whatever.

Then play that recording back to him via studio headphones as a backing track and record his drums with appropriate mics, and go from there multi-tracking each person or instrument.
I was thinking along that line with my post. The problem is that, if it isn't absolute rock steady (achieved by either playing with a click or having a drummer with impeccable time), then he has to 'follow' his performance when he records... trying to anticipate where he sped up and slowed down and dropped a smidge of a beat here and came in late on a fill there.

Laying drums over an existing performance that isn't rock solid is generally more hassle than it is worth. I did that on a fairly recent project, and it is a pain. Thank goodness for the time warp tool in Cubase... that's all I'll say on that. :eek

If he CAN play with the band in impeccable time (or with a click), then you can drop one mic in the room and record the whole band playing. Then, run that through a pair of phones later and have the drummer listen back to the recording while he lays down his drum parts.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.