iv noticed alot (nearly all) my favourite bands have all (or at least some) of their songs in either Eb ab db gb bb eb or with the Eb dropped to Db

what are this tunings advantages and is it worth using?
prob sounds a bit heavier and its easier to sing in i think, but thats about it
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
Quote by PETERFKNPARKER
prob sounds a bit heavier and its easier to sing in i think, but thats about it

Yep, that about sums it up. Makes the strings a bit looser to play on too.
^^its easier to sing becoz the guitars are 1 semitone lower than usual?:S
Quote by darkstar2466
Leniency? In the metal forum? This is unheard of. People get massacred here for just walking by.
I do it because drop D isnt heavy enough, and
drop C is gross, its too low.
I doesn't necessarily make it easier to sing to, that depends on the vocalist and their range. But +1 to everything else.
I'm not sure what kinda music you play, but some blues players that played a 1/2 step lower (SRV, Jimi Hendrix) did it because flat keys sound more "bluesy" than sharp keys. Since the guitar is a sharp key instrument, it can be kinda difficult to play in flat keys, but if you just tune a half step lower than you're automatically playing in a flat key. Like everyone else has already said, it also makes it easier to sing and makes it sound heavier.
My Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Deluxe HSS
Hagstrom HIIN
Crate Palomino V32H w/ matching cab.
Roland Cube 60
Roland Micro Cube
BOSS ME-20
Digitech Bad Monkey
Art and Lutherie acoustic
Last edited by ninjafingers at Jan 23, 2009,
thanks heaps. those responces were quick as ****.

so iv gotten its advantages are:

heavier sound, easier to play (with bends n junk), and i can see how flattening the guitars will help the singer if the top note in standard is just out of his range, or if he sings better in flat.

im starting to think i might just muck around in this tuning for a while, or test out a whole lot of my own songs in this tuning to see if its worth taking aboard (for the added heavyness)

do any of you use it? what genre? and do you think its worth using?
Quote by alwaysmetal

Yeah, the singer can sing everything a half step down.
it deffinitly makes a better sound IMO, just a little bit deeper tone, and the strings have less tension to boot. Hendrix, slash (with gnr), SRV to just name a few use it. really good for blues as said before.
my band plays in Eb we do it so our singers voice can match the instuments and it also gives the music a heavier feel.
I know Nirvana used this tuning a lot in there songs and it's gives the songs a really nice tone. Try playing a song you know in the coreect tuning, then drop it down a 1/2 step to see how you like it. I just started using it about 2 weeks ago and I like it so much that I haven't even bothered to change it back to DGCFAD (the one I used to use).
If you're retarded like me you might have trouble going back to standard tuning after playing in Eb for a long time...just a heads up.

I've had to record on a standard tuned guitar after not playing one for weeks...bad stuff.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
basically just a heavier sound and you get lower notes out of it. its goes good with low vocals
Grinding at your head with my bone saw breaking zygoma
Quote by alwaysmetal

I can't comfortably and solidly hit B4, but I can a Bb4. So, yes, tuning a semitone lower does make it easier to sing.