Im interested in learning the techniques of technical/math rock artists such as Foals, This town Needs Guns, Lite, Meet me in st louis.

Can anyone point me in the direction which i would need to start? because it is a style i would love to play and i haven't seen any lessons on it anywhere

Josh
Quote by joshybosh1
Im interested in learning the techniques of technical/math rock artists such as Foals, This town Needs Guns, Lite, Meet me in st louis.

Can anyone point me in the direction which i would need to start? because it is a style i would love to play and i haven't seen any lessons on it anywhere

Josh

learn your time signatures, what they mean and how to stick to them.... then overcomplicate them, try some compound time signatures then syncopate them.

Syncopation is key to math rock... it's not actually that technical, people are just naive, you basically just have to practise staying in time then syncopate your notes.

good luck!
a lot of times there are weird long chord progressions as well. Lets not forget the rediculousness of those
Quote by bangoodcharlote
There's no math involved. It simply refers to a lot of shifts in meter and almost always playing in some kind odd meter.

Hmmm you do need a bit of a "math" mind.

A lot of times they comes up with stuff where they all play "Different" time signature, which lines up perfectly 7 measures later or that kind of stuff.

I think they worked that out mathematically rather then that it came "natural"

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Id like to see a lesson on the composition of math rock and plausible formulas you could use to create those time signatures. But none of that "heres a riff from my fav song" lesson bull****.
Peace be thy journey