Page 1 of 2

Quote by Article

(CNN) -- During one beauty pageant, Brazilian model Mariana Bridi, 20, confided in friends that she was "living the dream."

Now she's fighting for her life in intensive care in a hospital in the Brazilian city of Serra, following a series of operations to bring a potentially fatal infection under control.

In the last week, she's had both hands and feet amputated. Doctors removed both kidneys and in the most recent surgery last night removed part of her stomach.

"They say her situation is very critical and that her chances (of survival) are not really significant, but she keeps on surprising everyone," Henrique Fontes, executive director of Miss World Brazil told CNN.

"Two weeks ago the doctor gave her 24 hours to live and she's been fighting and resisting -- she's quite amazing."

Less than one month ago, Mariana Bridi was a healthy 20-year-old who was well on the way to achieving her dream of becoming a world class model.

She placed sixth in the Miss Bikini International competition in China last year and took first place for the "Best in Swimsuit" category. In 2006 and 2007 she came fourth in the contest to become Brazil's entrant for the Miss World pageant.

Fontes told CNN Bridi had recently been selected to compete in a national modeling contest by the same person who discovered Brazilian modeling sensation Giselle Bunchen. Mariana had saved space in her diary for the competition in Sao Paolo this coming April.

That wasn't the only thing she had planned. Fontes said Bridi also dreamed of becoming a journalist. She was planning to move to Sao Paulo this year to begin her studies. She'd been living with her boyfriend, Thiago Simões, who is now spending as much time as he can by her bedside.

The pace of Mariana Bridi's deterioration from a vibrant, energetic young woman to a fragile patient in intensive care has been swift and shocking.

Mariana first sought medical advice after feeling ill in late December. Doctors said she had kidney stones but her condition soon worsened.

Bridi was eventually diagnosed as suffering a urinary tract infection. By the time the infection was detected it had developed into septicemia -- an infection of the blood.

Doctors decided to amputate first her hands and then her feet after the condition reduced the amount of oxygen being delivered to her limbs.

Dr Charles Clarke, Honorary Consultant Neurologist for the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery in the United Kingdom, told CNN that the development of a urinary tract infection to septicemia requiring amputation is "very rare."

However he added that "it's not a very rare thing" that septicemia is caused by a urinary tract infection. "That will happen dozens of times in any big district general hospital," he said.

"The difficulty clinically is that when most of these things start off, they just start off looking like an infection.

"And it can be very difficult to diagnose: you have a temperature and you're not very well. And you treat it and it goes on to the full blown picture. There may be no clinical evidence of that."

Mariana Bridi is now on life support and the only recent communication she's had with her family is through her eyes.

"She doesn't talk, she responds by blinking her eyes and she said that she wanted to live under this critical situation," Fontes told CNN.

He described her as very persistent and determined, "a person who enjoyed life and went after what she wanted without fears."

He told a story about when she first contacted him about entering a modeling competition in Brazil.

"When she first wrote to us asking for information on how to participate in the pageant, Mariana herself went after what she needed to compete at national level."

"In order to compete she traveled more than 20 hours on a bus going from Victoria to Curitiba," he said.

News of Bridi's condition spread quickly throughout Brazil and then worldwide.

A message on her Web site said that the volume of traffic to the Web site had caused it to crash, and that the site had received more than 15,000 hits in two days.

"The whole world, I repeat, the whole world is touched by the case of Mariana."

The message said they had received "emails of solidarity from all corners of the world: Australia, Ukraine, Czech Republic, France, Italy, USA, Russia, etc. "

Bridi's family and friends have urged people to keep praying for Mariana's survival. "Mariana is (a) warrior and will win this battle."

Pretty damn sad.

Searched and found nothing.

Update:
She died.

not long after I posted this actually
Last edited by Tire Me. at May 16, 2009,
reminds me of the episode of Sienfield when George was a hand model and the lady who designed the puffy shirt pushed his hans onto an iron
Quote by Deliriumbassist
marmite, vegemite, termite...

anything that ends with -mite is the work of Satan's retarded cousin Vinnie.
=[

Condolences to her and her family. Hope she gets through fine.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by boreamor
People have that all the time. But when a beautiful woman is mutilated to save her life, it's world news.

Wow. Shalloooooooow.

I agree completely.
My Last.FM

"The more you think, the better you're going to play. That should be a quote somewhere."
- Marty Friedman
Quote by GmacD
reminds me of the episode of Sienfield when George was a hand model and the lady who designed the puffy shirt pushed his hans onto an iron

ha that one was just on TV yesterday.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Impossible is nothing. Aimee Mullens (a supermodel) had her legs amputated after a police dispatch car negligently crashed into her. She has since appeared in sports events and also in various Toyota Car adverts. Some people may remember that advert with her running in a Toyota advert with her metal limbs.

Huge Picture here

¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Jan 23, 2009,
Quote by Tire Me.
Goddammit, learn to read you lazy bastard.

You're half right.

"Learn to read" - I can read very well

"You lazy bastard" - Spot on
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
=[

Condolences to her and her family. Hope she gets through fine.

I think it's gotten way past the point where you could say she got through fine.
Quote by boreamor
People have that all the time. But when a beautiful woman is mutilated to save her life, it's world news.

Wow. Shalloooooooow.

That's how it is. And it will never change.
Wow she actually has a boyfriend whos staying by her side after she got cut up?

Thats pretty rare nowadays. . .
Quote by xander307
that wasnt scary daryldom, it turned me on

Proud Canadian Eh?
Quote by boreamor

Wow. Shalloooooooow.

Dr Charles Clarke, Honorary Consultant Neurologist for the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery in the United Kingdom, told CNN that the development of a urinary tract infection to septicemia requiring amputation is "very rare."

According to the Dr. this doesn't really happen "all the time." and of course people are gonna be more upset about this then if it happened to some random person. if you "know" someone (or probably more accurate know of someone) then it will affect you more.
Quote by SRV99

According to the Dr. this doesn't really happen "all the time." and of course people are gonna be more upset about this then if it happened to some random person. if you "know" someone (or probably more accurate know of someone) then it will affect you more.

Oh I forgot... People don't have things amuputated every day to save their lives. Especially not the common Staph infection.
Quote by boreamor

Wow. Shalloooooooow.

It's because she was an aspiring model with a promising career, not like the many poor people who lose limbs in 3rd world countries.
It was just -bam- "Miss, we're gonna have to cut off all yer limbs"
It wasn't like -bam- "Oh ****, not another artillery shell, hmm **** I might have AIDS"
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
It's because she was an aspiring model with a promising career, not like the many poor people who lose limbs in 3rd world countries.
It wasn't like -bam- "Oh ****, not another artillery shell, hmm **** I might have AIDS"

AIDS isn't transmitted like that. As you should know.

Also, explain to me why I should care more about this girl than I do about any other person I don't know who goes through similar experiences?
Quote by Tire Me.
Goddammit, learn to read you lazy bastard.

Reading is for losers, we cool people ask, you loser people anwser.
Quote by boreamor

Also, explain to me why I should care more about this girl than I do about any other person I don't know who goes through similar experiences?

It's because it shows that a rich, beautiful and healthy person can have their life ****ed in one day.
Quote by boreamor

She's....hot.

Quote by Mr_Romero

Reading is for losers, we cool people ask, you loser people anwser.

That is getting so freaking annoying I'm reporting you.
Last edited by Tire Me. at Jan 23, 2009,
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
It's because it shows that a rich, beautiful and healthy person can have their life ****ed in one day.

Oh how silly of me. I forgot that the more wealthy you are the more invincible you get.
Quote by boreamor
Oh how silly of me. I forgot that the more wealthy you are the more invincible you get.

Uh yeah, that's why people in the Western world live to be 90 and people die with 55 in Africa.

Being rich does 1up your health.
My mom would be dead right now if it weren't for Western medicine.
Quote by boreamor

Wow. Shalloooooooow.

+26348648292
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Everyone is trying a comeback now. Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage, and now bin Laden? Come on. Give it a rest..

haha
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig

I got AIDS from getting hit by an artillery shell while wearing a bathing suit.
Quote by boreamor

Wow. Shalloooooooow.

I'm not sure that she and the people around her feel that way. A beautiful person, yes. But a person nonetheless.

I feel really sorry for her..
Quote by NGD1313
Yes, my mom walked in on me getting my carrot skinned.

So I freaked out and flipped the vegetable tray.

There was ranch everywhere.

Quote by zwound
Win

Quote by __Pent__

^^Too bad I can't do this in real life
Quote by boreamor

Wow. Shalloooooooow.

agreed

you can't say that the model is more important than the 'random' African person being blown to bits
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Quote by boreamor

Wow. Shalloooooooow.

Actually they don't; it says in the article that whilst septicaemia caused by a UTI is common, septicaemia resulting in amputation of limbs and death is NOT common. And as the girl is well known, it's more likely to make it into the papers. I don't see anything shallow about it, it's really sad for her and her family. Even if she survives her chosen career will no longer be available to her. She's lost a lot.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
The family of a 20-year-old Brazilian model who is fighting for her life after having her hands and feet amputated have urged her supporters around the world to keep praying for their daughter.

A blog created to provide updates on Mariana Bridi da Costa’s condition says the model’s stomach had to be removed during the last surgery due to internal bleeding.
"Continue praying for her. The doctors are doing everything that is humanly possible to save her, but only God can really save your (sic) life," says the most recent post by Renato Lindgren.
with no arms or legs, she can lie infront of the door, and people would call her matt.
(CNN) -- During one beauty pageant, Brazilian model Mariana Bridi, 20, confided in friends that she was "living the dream."

Now she's fighting for her life in intensive care in a hospital in the Brazilian city of Serra, following a series of operations to bring a potentially fatal infection under control.

In the last week, she's had both hands and feet amputated. Doctors removed both kidneys and in the most recent surgery last night removed part of her stomach.

"They say her situation is very critical and that her chances (of survival) are not really significant, but she keeps on surprising everyone," Henrique Fontes, executive director of Miss World Brazil told CNN.

"Two weeks ago the doctor gave her 24 hours to live and she's been fighting and resisting -- she's quite amazing."

Less than one month ago, Mariana Bridi was a healthy 20-year-old who was well on the way to achieving her dream of becoming a world class model.

She placed sixth in the Miss Bikini International competition in China last year and took first place for the "Best in Swimsuit" category. In 2006 and 2007 she came fourth in the contest to become Brazil's entrant for the Miss World pageant.

Fontes told CNN Bridi had recently been selected to compete in a national modeling contest by the same person who discovered Brazilian modeling sensation Giselle Bunchen. Mariana had saved space in her diary for the competition in Sao Paolo this

Page 1 of 2