sorry for the title; I'm sure there's a real name for instruments like this, But what I've been thinking about is instrumentsthat aren't tuned with the same intervals we are used to: for example, I was reading something about bagpipes which said they are tuned similar to intervals we're used to (C,D,E,F etc.) exept the top two notes are ~ 1/4 of a tone out of tune. also, I think middle eastern instruments are sometimes tuned to differently to the one we're used to, so they actually have notes that are kind of "between"eg: the keys of a piano.

but we often see these instruments in bands, playing with other musicians; how do they do it?

also, how do they write music for them? do they use completely different notation?

also - and please don't take offence anyone who listens to this music - I can't help but notice that songs these instruments play (bagpipes, indian-sitar-mondolin-thingys) all kind of sound the same - is this just cos mywestern-trained ear can't hear the notes properly? or is it something inherent in the music? like, because it's so old, or because you can only get a limited sound style out of the instruments (eg: bagpipes allways drone). I think it's probably cos I don't have a taste for that kind of music - cos they're are forms of western music that I think all sound the same and I don't have a taste for.
i like hurdy gurdys
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group