I was wondering if theres any solutions outside of getting a 5 string bass, to achieve lower tunings on a four string. I have an ibanez EDB sitting around and i want to get it cleaned up, and set up. Could I use the B E A D of a 5 string on my 4 and get real thick gauges?
Just get a thicker gauge of 4 string and leave a good amount of string on the tuning peg.
yes you can...
Gear:
LTD MH-1000
Ibanez RG350EX
ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Peavey ValveKing 112
Boss GE-7 EQ
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Digitech RP350
oh im sorry. a or aflat. I dont really go outside of standard tuning, so this is kind of foreign to me.
If you're planning on keeping your bass in A/Ab then getting the BEAD strings from a 5 set, but if you're planning on tuning to standard again then it's not going to be a great idea.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
well i actually have two basses. The one i use primarily is the one i jam with in my current band. I only use standard and drop d tuning which works out perfectly. Im going to be joining this metal band whos guitarist tunes aflat. I wanted to set up my other bass for that but wasnt sure if i was able to achieve that low of tuning with a 4 string.
you don't have to retune, it just makes things easier.

however a 5 string set will be fine.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
thanks for the help. i will try the five string set on a four. i didnt wanna do it if it didnt work.

with my current bass, any tuning below b the string would just flop around without any real sound. my tuner wouldnt even pick it up because there was basically no note coming from the string.
Last edited by lunchboxdave at Jan 24, 2009,