Hi, ive been looking for a new bass amp for a while, preferably a head + cab and I was wondering what UG thought about bass amps in this price range. I think ill either get a Carvin half stack or the new Acoustic B600 with some sort of cab. My band plays in front of audiences of around 500 people.

tl;dr I need a new bass head + cab for around 700USD. I play rock and need to be heard in front of 500ish people.

I will go used if I can find a good deal.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by grifff at Jan 23, 2009,
Gallien-Krueger Goldline half stack?
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
I like Carvins.

I'd suggest the SBR410 halfstack. Best bang for your buck out there.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Gallien-Krueger Goldline half stack?

hmm, i've played some GKs, i know flea uses them, they really that good? (asking opinion, not trying to insult)

i feel i would want a half stack soon, but im not sure wither of your choices are good dude....carvin? really?
Try adding more delay.
Quote by telecastrmastr
hmm, i've played some GKs, i know flea uses them, they really that good? (asking opinion, not trying to insult)

i feel i would want a half stack soon, but im not sure wither of your choices are good dude....carvin? really?

Im asking for opinions.

Why do you dislike Carvin? What model have you played and what did you dislike about it? If you were in my position what would you be getting?
Quote by grifff
Im asking for opinions.

Why do you dislike Carvin? What model have you played and what did you dislike about it? If you were in my position what would you be getting?

it just wasnt my groove. i dont know what model it was...maybe the PawnShop 2A? it just sounded cheap to me, you gotta play it, its your ears that matter, maybe it was just the bass i picked up, idk, you never know
Try adding more delay.
If you can really pick up that Workingman rig for $400 and it's all in good shape, I'd be all over it. IMO, SWRs are very high in the amp hierarchy. Check that one out, and get it if it works well.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Are you gonna have PA support? And how big are the rigs of your guitar player(s).

I have a Carvin BR610 combo (an older one) and I like the tone of the head very much. But with the 2x10 speakers it doesn't have that much volume and doesn't have that much bottom end. But I adore the tone of the head. And I assume the volume and lack of low end will be solved mostly by a 4x10 cabinet.

Unless you score some really nice deals Carvin is your best bet if you want to buy new.
You can also go on ebay and perhaps get a GK800RB head really cheap and score some Avatar cabs. Brings me to my next point. Avatar cabs are also quite nice, but if you get a Carvin head it'll take you over the 700 mark.
i will say that i played an swr combo(300watts or somewhere close to that) when i was amp shopping. the tone seemed very thin. Then again I like tube amps, and thus a very warm sound.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I own the Goldline stack. For the money it's ****in loud and it sounds pretty good to me. It's been reliable so far as well, though I've only had it for a month. Looks nice as well.
Thought about second hand ashdown, for 700 you could get Half stack easy enough, do you like transparent or colourful amps.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Mutant Corn
The goldline 810 I played through was very muddy...is the 410 any different?

Really, I think Carvin is your best bet. You can get just about any type of tone you want from the BX600's preamp.

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=SBR410

I've played through the 8x10 and it sounded pretty close to the 4x10 so if you don't like that it's still probably not your cup of tea.
The goldline cabs are heavy as **** though, I dont know if I want to be carrying a 100lb 410 if its only decent.

One guitarist uses a 100W solid state Marshall(MG ) and the other uses a 100W Carvin 2x10 combo.
Quote by grifff
The goldline cabs are heavy as **** though, I dont know if I want to be carrying a 100lb 410 if its only decent.

One guitarist uses a 100W solid state Marshall(MG ) and the other uses a 100W Carvin 2x10 combo.

I've seen a lot of people complain about the weight of them but it's really not much heavier than any other cab I've hauled around. A 4x10 is gonna be a pain to haul around no matter what you get.
Quote by telecastrmastr

My GK half stack is god like.

I played the Goldine head and 410 at GC, really good sound. Id suggest it to anybody who wants a half stack, GK tone and is looking in that price range.
The SWR are generally good amps, and wont fail you except Scott's me thinks. Have you thought about ashdown, hartke aswell make really good gear.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
The SWR are generally good amps, and wont fail you except Scott's me thinks. Have you thought about ashdown, hartke aswell make really good gear.

I havent seen any here in the US and id like to try them out before I buy.
Oh i reckon it shouldnt be too difficult, head down to one of your GC's. Do you want a transparent sound to bring through your bass, or one thatcolours itself.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
You could get a Lh1000 and a cab for that much, thats a1000 watts which will get you through any mix
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Hartke
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I managed to find a Hartke 3500HA and a Hartke vx810 head/cab rig for little over $650, both used. If you can find a deal like that I'd suggest getting it.

I'm not a huge huge fan of carvin amps honestly. Not that they're bad, but I just don't care too much for them. If you can land a SWR Working man setup that'll probably be your best bet though.
Quote by sloasdaylight
I managed to find a Hartke 3500HA and a Hartke vx810 head/cab rig for little over $650, both used. If you can find a deal like that I'd suggest getting it.

I'm not a huge huge fan of carvin amps honestly. Not that they're bad, but I just don't care too much for them. If you can land a SWR Working man setup that'll probably be your best bet though.

I hope the SWR is still there, it looked pretty nice with the 115 and the 210's.
Yea, as of the stuff you've been looking at that SWR is most likely your best bet. Depending on what sort of music you play, and how featured you are in the mix, you might want to look at buying yourself a 4x10 before a 1x15.

I play in a band that is influenced pretty heavily by tool, so we tend to feature the bass a lot, so i need some mids and high mids to cut through more, which is one reason why i bought the 8x10 instead of a 4x10 and a 1x15. If you're more for just kinda fattening up the groove and such, the the 1x15 and the 2x10 that you have now might compliment each other better.

GL trying to find your gear.
Quote by sloasdaylight
Yea, as of the stuff you've been looking at that SWR is most likely your best bet. Depending on what sort of music you play, and how featured you are in the mix, you might want to look at buying yourself a 4x10 before a 1x15.

I play in a band that is influenced pretty heavily by tool, so we tend to feature the bass a lot, so i need some mids and high mids to cut through more, which is one reason why i bought the 8x10 instead of a 4x10 and a 1x15. If you're more for just kinda fattening up the groove and such, the the 1x15 and the 2x10 that you have now might compliment each other better.

GL trying to find your gear.

Thanks for the help, id hopefully be replacing the 210 with a 410 eventually or once I get the taste for the versatility of the half stack set up.