hey guys. my guitar teacher has finally given me free choice on which song i get to learn for lessons. i am thinking of trying "gunslinger" by a7x or "trade yourself in" by shinedown. which of the 2 should i try?? or any others that you can suggest ill take a look at. i listen to almost everything from classic rock to nu metal except rap. any suggestions?? thanks guys!
Shouldn't he let you choose some songs anyway?
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
Now when people say "Congratulations, I heard you just had a baby" you can say "Thanks! It was delicious."

/#1 reason for having a kid.

PSN: YosemiteSam13
get your teacher to actually teach you stuff about guitar

if u just want to learn songs then thats what tabs are for, (or ear learning but thats beside the point)
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
Freebird!
"CHOOSE YOUR FATE AND DIE!!"

-- Do as I say, not as I do. --
haha freebird. probably not ready for that yet. well i have chosen some songs before, but never a lead part. i have worked on rhythm before. and dont complain about his teaching style since most if not all of you have never met him. simply stated it works. i was also thinkin of trying some metallica but idk if i could pull off the solo. haha any other suggestions??
Quote by ryno88
haha freebird. probably not ready for that yet. well i have chosen some songs before, but never a lead part. i have worked on rhythm before. and dont complain about his teaching style since most if not all of you have never met him. simply stated it works. i was also thinkin of trying some metallica but idk if i could pull off the solo. haha any other suggestions??

Stop wasting money, shove your teacher's guitar up his ass, and buy a damn book/dvd.

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']I love how the Metallica fan posted a Skynyrd song and the skynyrd fan posted a Metallica song
haha, well Fade to Black was the frst song that had a "real" soloish part that I could play (intro solo), and it was relatively easy...
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
i think i can play stairway. ill look at the tab to see if there seems to be something i can't. and for all you people ragging on my teacher. seriously. he is one of the coolest guys i have ever met. and without his lessons i would never be playing what i can already. i tried teaching myself and it just didn't work. so go shut up and suck on your thumbs.
Quote by ryno88
i think i can play stairway. ill look at the tab to see if there seems to be something i can't. and for all you people ragging on my teacher. seriously. he is one of the coolest guys i have ever met. and without his lessons i would never be playing what i can already. i tried teaching myself and it just didn't work. so go shut up and suck on your thumbs.

I'm sure if you told him how you felt, he'd take you out for a lovely night on the town. Who knows? You might even score some
ok. i might try fade to black. as long as i get the chords down right i should be able to play it. it really doesnt look that bad.
ABout what skill level are you at? Can you Barr? What are you interested in learning? I can probably help with some extra info.
For classic old songs:
Cream "Those Were The Days" "SWLABR" or "White Room".
Jimi Hendrix "Manic Depression" "Burning of the Midnight Lamp" "Message to Love"
Led Zeppelin "Houses of the Holy" "Trampled Underfoot" "Whole Lotta Love"
Derek and The Dominoes "Layla"

For something more modern I would say:
Incubus "Pardon Me" "Agoraphobia"
Coheed and Cambria "The Velorium Camper I: Faint of Hearts" "Delirium Trigger"
John Mayer "Belief" "Slow Dancing in A Burning Room"
Muse "Plug in Baby" "Thoughts of A Dying Atheist" "Unintended"

These are things that I would learn. You might not like them but eh whatever. I don't care if you like it or not. I give recommendations.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
i have been playing about a year now. yes i can barre. im interested in learning just about anything. metallica, a7x, korn, shinedown, chiodos, escape the fate...etc.that should kinda give you an idea on what i like. thanks man
Quote by ryno88
hey guys. my guitar teacher has finally given me free choice on which song i get to learn for lessons. i am thinking of trying "gunslinger" by a7x or "trade yourself in" by shinedown. which of the 2 should i try?? or any others that you can suggest ill take a look at. i listen to almost everything from classic rock to nu metal except rap. any suggestions?? thanks guys!

out of the 2 you just mentioned, i'd pick Gunslinger... its a really fun song that my band enjoys to improv on... (i play a different lead part than the actual song, the only thing i kept the same was the solo. and our bass player made a great bassline for the song and our drummerhas improvised something too)
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']try Scarified by Racer X
This. But Gunslinger out of the 2.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Quote by ryno88
ok. i might try fade to black. as long as i get the chords down right i should be able to play it. it really doesnt look that bad.

The song is actually very easy...the acoustic part is pretty tough, but the lead part is easy. The only part I would say is "hard" is the end solo...although I haven't sat down to actually learn it.

Quote by JimmyBanks6
fade to blacks solo is tougherrr then it looks/sounds

yeh...the rest of the song is easy though.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
ok. so i was looking at coheed and cambria's stuff. i think i might try "the camper velorium I: faint of hearts" it looks pretty easy. so its either that or fade 2 black