1. I didn't post this in the Pit because I didn't need their crap

Ok, the deal I quit school to study classical guitar with electric guitar as a special class.
Right now, my practice scheduel is:

1. Get up at 9, mumble around until 10

2. Practice guitar from 10-11:30 (picking technique, sheet reading)

3. Play electric guitar from 11:30-12:30 (random stuff, play own songs, learn licks, I don't really need to practice this since I won't be graded on it at school)

4. Eat, UG time from 12:30 - xxxx (depends if I have a lesson that day, my guitar teacher who has dedicated himself to getting me into the school calls me in the morning and tells me if I have a lesson, he's really cool)

5. If no lesson 14:30-15:00 classical guitar practice again

6. 15:00-20:00 UG time/electric guitar/socializing

7. 20:00-20:30 classical guitar

8. 20:30 - 21:00 sheet reading/notes

9. 21:00 electric guitar up until 22:00 if I really want to learn something, then UG time until 24:00

repeat.

Should I add in more half hour classical units?

What do you guys think?
Call me crazy, but I'm thinking you need to be in school. What if this guitar thing doesn't work out and you find yourself without a gig and without a paycheck? Playing guitar is great and I enjoy the heck out of it, but I also like my day job - it helps me buy the cool gear I own. Without my education, I wouldn't have my day job, wouldn't have a paycheck and no gear. It's one of those vicious circle thingies. I hope it works out for you, but the dad part of me sometimes gets out.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Call me crazy, but I'm thinking you need to be in school. What if this guitar thing doesn't work out and you find yourself without a gig and without a paycheck? Playing guitar is great and I enjoy the heck out of it, but I also like my day job - it helps me buy the cool gear I own. Without my education, I wouldn't have my day job, wouldn't have a paycheck and no gear. It's one of those vicious circle thingies. I hope it works out for you, but the dad part of me sometimes gets out.

This is exaclty why I didn't go to the Pit.

My guitar teacher quit his job with 25 and got into the exact same school that I'm applying for and everyone was hating on him for it but now he's got a huge house a wife and two children and plays guitar/keyboards/bass/drums/sitar/banjo/piano all day.

Edit: I see that you live in the USA. Around here, about 1/3rd of the students drop out of school before they are 18 to do an apprenticeship or something like this.
Last edited by Nilpferdkoenig at Jan 23, 2009,
Trust me. I've been in The Pit. That was nowhere close to a Pit response. That's the response of a parent who knows better through many years of experience. Like I said, I wish you the best of luck.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Trust me. I've been in The Pit. That was nowhere close to a Pit response. That's the response of a parent who knows better through many years of experience. Like I said, I wish you the best of luck.

My dad doesn't want me to do it either but my mom supports me all the way.
I'm honestly pretty curious what my life is gonna look like since I dropped out of the normal system...

Maybe I'll be living in some crappy flat somewhere in America but if I have my instruments and somewhere to play I think that I can be happy.
Meh... You have to get a job of some sorts. Not just doing gigs and such.

You also need to eat. Are you really sure you want to go through all that? You're gonna get sick of it one day or another.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Last edited by SilverDark at Jan 23, 2009,
Quote by SilverDark
Meh... You have to get a job of some sorts. Not just doing gigs and such.

... I said a real answer, I don't give a **** about your opinions on whether or not I should have quit school, too late for that, guess I'll die under a bridge.

Anybody with help?
Fine, fine, it's not like I care about some stranger...

Make time for ear training and composing.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

Quote by SilverDark
Fine, fine, it's not like I care about some stranger...

Make time for ear training and composing.

composing might be taking it to far, I'm new to classical guitar.
The first year of the music school will be preparing the students for the real thing.

sorry man, it's just that everytime I said that I quit school for this everyone goes "OMG WTF why didn't you stay in school?!? You're a failure, oh ****, you're gonna starve cause you're so poor..." and then go on about how much school sucks and that they are waisting years and could already be concentrating on a subject that they are actually interested in.
Well I did that.
No. Composition is a skill that you have to develop. You're not going to write a great song from just sitting there.

Well, I guess I can understand. I'm in my senior year and, I want to get the hell out already. I can't wait to go to college and move out of my brother's place.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

Quote by SilverDark
No. Composition is a skill that you have to develop. You're not going to write a great song from just sitting there.

I compose alot on electric guitar.

What I'm trying to say is that I started classical two days ago.
It would be nice if I could build up proper fingerpicking speed and finally have my nails long enough.
So you dropped out of high school to go to college for an instrument you've never even played? Seriously, what if you don't like it? You're on day 2, and can't say what'll happen in that regards. It sounds like you have electric guitar as a back-up, though. I'd almost say major in electric and take courses in classic.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Quote by Jango22
So you dropped out of high school to go to college for an instrument you've never even played? Seriously, what if you don't like it? You're on day 2, and can't say what'll happen in that regards. It sounds like you have electric guitar as a back-up, though. I'd almost say major in electric and take courses in classic.

Yeah, I did. I chose something that not most would do. Am I special now or something?
It's already too late anyhow so don't daunt me with your bleeding souls...

You can't major in electric here, I would if I could.
^...you could major in an Electric Guitar Performance degree... and they get great jobs...

Well, here in the US...
Quote by DiminishedFifth

Hm. All power to you. Good luck, i get the feeling you'll need it.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Hey man,

I'm not going to echo the calls about school, looks like a pretty solid routine, however, just be careful you don't burn out. Even doing the things you love, sometimes, after doing that almost all day every day, you're going to burn out.

I wouldn't make your schedule so strictly in time. Get yourself another hobby as well to balance things out.

If you plan on writing music at music school, start adding that to your day now. Trust me, I've been to music school at University, doing composition. Nobody knew how to write, it was wanky and avant garde. Get a headstart now before you get there because it will make your life easier. Even 30 minutes a day just coming up with stuff is so good for your practice.

But seriously. You might want to ease your days a little bit. Too much can catch up on you later.

By the way. Talent and luck is not bull****. Some people just have to work harder than others. Of course, if you have "talent" you still have to develop it, but I wouldn't dismiss the fact that some people catch on to certain concepts faster - and have more natural ability than others.

There's a good reason guys like Jimi Hendrix are still regarded as the best "guitarists" of all time. There are guys everywhere that can shred all over the guitar faster than Jimi ever could. They got their skill from spending hours and hours and hours with a metronome, probably by themselves. And that's fine. But Jimi Hendrix had a thing called talent. As well as playing lots, he also had a great ear for songwriting and improvisation.

Same reason people can work out stuff by ear and others can't. Some people study for years trying to learn how to train their ears but then others can just do it, no training required. This is called talent. Of course anyone has to develop their talent. But it's much easier developing something that's already there than trying to start from scratch.

As for luck - in the music business, there is a lot of luck. So many bands and artists have been signed due to having the goods, sure - but also being at the right place and the right time.

I'm not dismissing hard work, but don't be so quick to dismiss talent and luck because those are two things that most people working in the business will tell you - you better have it.

Good luck.
Last edited by ChrisBG at Jan 23, 2009,
Quote by Jango22
Hm. All power to you. Good luck, i get the feeling you'll need it.

It's about dedication, talent and luck are bull****.

Quote by SilverDark
^...you could major in an Electric Guitar Performance degree... and they get great jobs...

We don't have that here.
For some reason it's all classical guitar.

Edit: ChrisBG, thanks.
For some reason only people who have been to a music college/university understand what I'm trying to do here
Ok, but can I at least keep the 10-11:30 period?
That's my favourite one...
You keep what periods you want. But I do suggest you consider making your days a little more "free". Like, do you watch movies? Read books? Go out ever? these things are just as important. Real world experience, keeping up to date with the world, reading, etc. Don't make it so every day you have to do THIS at exactly that time.

Having and setting timetables is always good but just make sure you're not overplaying.

Also, missed a big point in my last post - but make sure you are playing with other musicians! Where's the band? Where's the jamming? These are essentials. Playing by yourself is one thing, but you won't find out how good you really are until you play with others. Don't make it a schedule - just make it chilled and relaxed, jam times whenever you can with friends. Not just two guitars but a band. Any genre. Could be jazz. Could be classical. Could be anything.
Dude, Go back to school... in order to get very good you should spend more time practicing and less time on UG. School's important especially in these times with the state of the economy.

Btw how old are you?
|
Quote by Jamingguitarist
Dude, Go back to school... in order to get very good you should spend more time practicing and less time on UG. School's important especially in these times with the state of the economy.

Btw how old are you?

Let him do what he wants.

The people that getting fired are actually the ones with the higher paying jobs tbh.

People doing smaller jobs don't actually have to worry.

Actually all small corporations have a better chance of getting through then major corporations. Mega corporations are safe too.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Jamingguitarist

Btw how old are you?

They just fired a couple thousand people at the IMF.
My dad was one of the people that could have been fired and he worked 25 years to get where he is.
Getting a high-powered job is much harder right now then it use to be.
I'd rather keep it low-key with a guitar.