Now, as many of you may know or may not know, Line 6 Toneport is an amp simulator, with loads of different pedals, based on your computer. You simply hook your guitar into one of the devices, hook into your computer, and then play. It's amazing, and I love it.

But what I want to know is, the Line 6 POD's and say the bigger pedals like the X3 live and stuff like that, is it essentially a portable toneport that you plug into your amp? Or is it a simple multi effects pedal?

Any bits of information would help - Thanks.
First of all, toneport is not an amp simulator. Gearbox is. Toneport is just an interface.

POD's are not a portable toneport. It is way better than a toneport. Because toneport is just an interface. POD's is a multi fx, usb interface and you could play live with it, without a computer.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Quote by mothership
First of all, toneport is not an amp simulator. Gearbox is. Toneport is just an interface.

POD's are not a portable toneport. It is way better than a toneport. Because toneport is just an interface. POD's is a multi fx, usb interface and you could play live with it, without a computer.

Gearbox was what I was referring too - sorry.
as far as i can figure, toneport is a way of getting pod sounds but all the sounds are loaded onto a computer and then accessed via gearbox.

whereas the pod is the entire thing built into one tidy box.

I've never used a toneport but i never hear good thing about them from more seasoned recording 'engineers' (they seem just fine for anyone wanting to jot some ideas down or do some good sounding demos)

also having glanced at the software fro gearbox, it would seem that the software isn't as tweakable as the pod own interface.. I could be dead wrong on that tho.

however the new software they rolled out, PodFarm, looks promising if not a bit cumbersome.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
One thing to mention about Pods are that they are sound cards in and of themselves, meaning you can get high quality sound straight from the 1/4th outs, into headphones, speakers, anything.
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Ibanez AEL20E Acoustic-Electric
Quote by Kivarenn82
as far as i can figure, toneport is a way of getting pod sounds but all the sounds are loaded onto a computer and then accessed via gearbox.

whereas the pod is the entire thing built into one tidy box.

I've never used a toneport but i never hear good thing about them from more seasoned recording 'engineers' (they seem just fine for anyone wanting to jot some ideas down or do some good sounding demos)

also having glanced at the software fro gearbox, it would seem that the software isn't as tweakable as the pod own interface.. I could be dead wrong on that tho.

however the new software they rolled out, PodFarm, looks promising if not a bit cumbersome.

I did look into it, and I find Gearbox to be great, but it seems to be more for beginners in that field, which i was, but now i'm pretty much looking to upgrade. and i've heard loads of good things about pods.
I'm looking at the POD xt. 90% of my playing is in my room without an amp, and most of the rest is at band practice. And where we practice, we have a PA system that the singer and bassist both use. And I'm sick of lugging my VK up there every time. So, I'm thinking I can get the POD, jam out with headphones at home, then bring it to practice and play through the PA.
Is this thing really worth $300? It seems like a cool way to test out all sorts of effects and find the tone I want, but how does it sound? I'm fine if it's not quite up to audiophile standards, as long as it can fool most people.
Quote by jam979
I'm looking at the POD xt. 90% of my playing is in my room without an amp, and most of the rest is at band practice. And where we practice, we have a PA system that the singer and bassist both use. And I'm sick of lugging my VK up there every time. So, I'm thinking I can get the POD, jam out with headphones at home, then bring it to practice and play through the PA.
Is this thing really worth $300? It seems like a cool way to test out all sorts of effects and find the tone I want, but how does it sound? I'm fine if it's not quite up to audiophile standards, as long as it can fool most people.

That's my main predicament, but occasionally, i love to venture into playing with my amp. Idk why, I guess just the accessibility of it, and how easy it is to change certain settings.
Quote by jam979

If you don't need all the bells and whistles the X3 offers, both the 2.0 and XT sound just as good but don't have as many amp models and FX. I recently got the 2.0 used for a little over 100 dollars, and cannot believe I practiced on what I did for so long, and they really sounds and responds like a guitar amp. Believe it or not I think I could run straight into a PA at a gig and get a very acceptable tone, not quite up to my triple XXX, but its pretty stinking close. On a recording I think you could fool any one because of all the variables that going into micing an amp, honestly I don't think I will be using my amp for recording any more, the POD sounds to good and is just way to easy.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by jam979

i'm in the same situation where i jam 100% of the time thru headphones (live in an apartment and don't really play in bands anymore), and pod XT is fantastic for it. I paid about $450 CAD new for it.. and even now i feel it was worth it. the use i get out of it and the versatility i have with it is endless.

as far as 'fooling' people with it. well, i'll be honest i didn't buy the podXT so it could sound like i'm playing thru either a JCM800, or a rectifier, or a 5150. i bought it just because it really does sound good, disregarding what its modelling.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.