it to clean up is to turn the bass down, but then it
sounds like balls.

TL;DR?
4 ohm > 16 ohm would cause
distortion on clean?
Last edited by CityKid at Jan 23, 2009,
Quote by Mitchell?
Stop.

You need to run the head through the right impedance.

theres no selection.
soon there wont be any sound either

You'll break that head doing that
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Running a 16ohm cab through a 4ohm head won't hurt anything, but running a 4ohm cab through a 16ohm head will give the fire department reason to visit you.

The reason you are getting such a terrible sound is the cab is 'requesting' a lost less signal then your amp is putting out; hence the crap sound. Only a fraction of your signal is actually being put out, as the head only gives what it's asked for.

If you know the ohms of the speakers you can (probably) rewire them to be 4 ohms and they will sound significantly better.
Quote by imicius
Running a 16ohm cab through a 4ohm head won't hurt anything, but running a 4ohm cab through a 16ohm head will give the fire department reason to visit you.

The reason you are getting such a terrible sound is the cab is 'requesting' a lost less signal then your amp is putting out; hence the crap sound. Only a fraction of your signal is actually being put out, as the head only gives what it's asked for.

If you know the ohms of the speakers you can (probably) rewire them to be 4 ohms and they will sound significantly better.

makes sense, i'll just put the cab away for a while
until i get a head with an ohmage selector.
The issue is a 4 ohm amp into a 16 ohm cab cuts the output power ALOT. So to get any volume you have to crank the amp. Which causes clipping etc. Not going to find many SS units with impedance switches. They dont have the OT like a tube amp. SS is made to be run at a set ohm rating usually 4 as its cheaper to make an amp push this load. You might be able to rewire the cab to get lower ohms.
Quote by Mitchell?
Stop.

You need to run the head through the right impedance.

Quote by ShredGod George
soon there wont be any sound either

You'll break that head doing that

Why are we spreading wrong information now? The reason it has more bass is by forcing the head to run at 16ohms it uses more windings on the output transformer and thickens up the bass end.

A lot of guys prefer going 16ohms as opposed to 4ohms for this reason.

It's a solid state head, and because of this it's a bit more flexible in not having exact impedance matches, but you STILL should match if possible in order to get the most of a 120w head, by running mismatched you lose performance from the head.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Dammit Cody,
you better have been running my VK through at the right ohmage,
cause I have a feeling you didn't xP

Also, you won't be using your XXX in band practice anymore?