I currently own a Peavey ValveKing 112. Tonight I'll be replacing the stock speaker with a 75w Celestion G12T-75. The stock speaker is 16 ohms, and so is the G12T, so no need to go into detail there. The 112 head "handles" 50w.

I'd appreciate some thoughts on this pairing (amp wattage < speaker wattage).

Thanks for reading
you'd want a speaker rated the same or higher than the amp. I have 2 120 watt speakers in my 5150. So yes it's fine.
Last edited by solitaryshell90 at Jan 23, 2009,
You'll be fine. Ignore that business about needing to be 1.5(amp output) in order to find the "best" wattage for your speaker. A modern speaker is rated at that point for a reason and more often then not it's low-balling the maximum.

I just realized.. think like over clocking... yeah it can go higher than it's max, but often not by much and it taxes the equipment more than normal.

TL;DR

If a speaker is rated at 75w, it can do 75w just fine. Ignore the garbage about needing more.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by Jam3V
I currently own a Peavey ValveKing 112. Tonight I'll be replacing the stock speaker with a 75w Celestion G12T-75. The stock speaker is 16 ohms, and so is the G12T, so no need to go into detail there. The 112 head "handles" 50w.

I'd appreciate some thoughts on this pairing (amp wattage < speaker wattage).

Thanks for reading

50 watts is not power handling. I mean, what power are you putting into the head other than what is coming out of the wall? The 50 watts is the RMS output (since the current going from OT to speaker is AC) at some percent THD. 1) The peak output at that percent THD is above the RMS wattage, 2) tube amps break up, and some of them break up very early and they can be pushed far beyond their rated wattage. So you might think putting 50 watts RMS into a 50 watt speaker is fine, but is putting 70-80 watts RMS onto that same speaker fine?

The speakers handle a certain amount of power. And before people start saying that you don't need to worry about a speaker having higher wattage, that's not true. I blew out a 50 watt speaker with a JTM45 w/ a solid state rectifier cranked to 7-8. That's a 35-40 watt amp.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 23, 2009,
Well hold on...this gives me a question.

Say you have a 2x12 or more cabinet. Could you put speakers that are different watts(as in, one alnico blue and one V30 to make 75 watts)?
Fender American Strat HSS MAHOGANY!
MXR Carbon Copy
BBE Soul Vibe
Fulltone OCD
Planet Waves Chromatic Tuner
Egnater Tweaker 1x12 Combo
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12 combo
Morley Mark Tremonti Wah
Taylor 114CE
Quote by harrisonmon
Well hold on...this gives me a question.

Say you have a 2x12 or more cabinet. Could you put speakers that are different watts(as in, one alnico blue and one V30 to make 75 watts)?

If you make a cabinet, its wattage is determined by the lowest wattage speaker in it and the number of speakers in the cabinet. So a 2X12 cab with a 50 watt speaker and a 30 watt speaker is only rated at 2*30 = 60 watts. Thus, if you made a 2X12 with a Celestion Blue and a Vintage 30, it would only be rated at 30 watts. That would be a pretty weak cabinet unless you had a low-power amplifier.

I can't speak from personal experience like Al, but I've never blown a speaker. I suspect it's pretty difficult to do since speakers are designed to be able to overload a bit. The Vox AC30 traditionally has 2 Celestion Blues that rate together at 30 watts, and I don't think very many people destroyed their speakers in those amps.
^

Interesting. That makes sense, actually...thanks!
Fender American Strat HSS MAHOGANY!
MXR Carbon Copy
BBE Soul Vibe
Fulltone OCD
Planet Waves Chromatic Tuner
Egnater Tweaker 1x12 Combo
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12 combo
Morley Mark Tremonti Wah
Taylor 114CE
Irrelevent to the TS's question, how do you like your ValveKing? I'm torn between getting this or a Peavey Vypyr 60W tube.
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt combo amp
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
Quote by mikewaz
I can't speak from personal experience like Al, but I've never blown a speaker. I suspect it's pretty difficult to do since speakers are designed to be able to overload a bit. The Vox AC30 traditionally has 2 Celestion Blues that rate together at 30 watts, and I don't think very many people destroyed their speakers in those amps.

Bingo. I'd call his experience a bum speaker. The maximum output of the amp shouldn't exceed the speakers' maximum by too much (if at all for sound qualities' sake) and you'll be ok.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Thanks for the input guys. As with anything audio related, I've read conflicting opinions.

The average of what I've read comes to this: By putting a higher wattage speaker through an amp, you have to turn it up louder to hit its sweet spot. When you overdrive an amp, it cuts the signal (which looks like a block, and not like a traditional sine wave). This can damage a speaker. However, if you're careful, you shouldn't have any issues.

I've completed the upgrade, and will be able to start breaking in the speaker tomorrow. If I have any issues I'll certainly post them here.

To the guy asking about the ValveKing. I really don't have a fair benchmark for comparison. I've had 2 amps in my life. The 112, and some Crate from 15 years ago. The clean channel on the 112 is amazing, but the lead certainly leaves much to be desired. I've read people improve this amp dramatically with a new speaker, hence my decision to upgrade.

I own an ESP LTD KH-602, so the results will be interesting.
Actually, you're running the amp through the speaker, not the other way around as stated multiple times in this thread
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Bingo. I'd call his experience a bum speaker. The maximum output of the amp shouldn't exceed the speakers' maximum by too much (if at all for sound qualities' sake) and you'll be ok.

And there it is. Tell me, how do you know what the maximum output of the amp is? Could you honestly tell me what the max ouput of ______ amp is? No, until you pull out the huge resistors and oscilloscope, you cannot measure how much power an amp is putting out. The 1.5x to 2x the amp's rated wattage is an estimate to account for the fact that amps can put out way more than their rated wattage. It all depends on the amp, in some cases you can try putting speakers with 30 watt handling with a 30 watt amp (case of the Vox); but putting a 30 watt speaker with something like a 30 watt JTM45, it will be gone within 15 minutes. Put a 4x12 of 25 watt greenbacks with a cranked 100 watt super lead? Watch the speakers basically melt down.

As for my speaker, no, it wasn't a bum speaker, it was a speaker that I had been using for almost 5 years prior to in a 50 watt combo. But a "35 watt" amp, blew it out easily once I started cranking the amp. You want to hear more accounts, go ask Jim at Scumback speakers and he'll tell you of smoking cones people have gotten running 50 watt plexis with a pair of g12h30s, or even solid state rectified JTM45s with a pair of greenbacks, that were all sent to him for reconstruction. I guess all those are bum speakers as well?

Quote by Jam3V
Thanks for the input guys. As with anything audio related, I've read conflicting opinions.

The average of what I've read comes to this: By putting a higher wattage speaker through an amp, you have to turn it up louder to hit its sweet spot. When you overdrive an amp, it cuts the signal (which looks like a block, and not like a traditional sine wave). This can damage a speaker. However, if you're careful, you shouldn't have any issues.

I've completed the upgrade, and will be able to start breaking in the speaker tomorrow. If I have any issues I'll certainly post them here.

To the guy asking about the ValveKing. I really don't have a fair benchmark for comparison. I've had 2 amps in my life. The 112, and some Crate from 15 years ago. The clean channel on the 112 is amazing, but the lead certainly leaves much to be desired. I've read people improve this amp dramatically with a new speaker, hence my decision to upgrade.

I own an ESP LTD KH-602, so the results will be interesting.

No. Read what I wrote in my first post in this thread. Signal path is guitar->preamp->poweramp->speaker. Your speaker is what makes sound. There is no conflicting opinions on certain matters, some are facts, which you seem have mixed up. This is ALWAYS the case, the signal starts with your guitar. All the amplifier does is turn a small signal, into a large signal that can drive a speaker. If that signal gets too large and too big for the speaker to handle, then you damage the speaker, it's all very intuitive. This all has nothing to do with clipping or sine waves or square waveforms, Idk how those even entered the discussion.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 24, 2009,