I say future bass as it does not exist yet. I want to make it when i have the time/money/skills to do so.

I have put this in the bass forum as i only want bass players opinions on the design, but if i have broken any rules then please move the thread or close it.

Here are the potential specs:

-5 string, tuned EADGC
-Drop d tuner on E string
-Jazz style body, but with horns off of an ibanez sr
-mahogany body with quilted maple top (stained)
-24 fret maple neck with rosewood fretboard
-3 push-pull volume controls (pulling up activates each pickup)
-1 master tone
-coil tap switch for bridge humbucker

so what do you think?
do you have any suggestions for improvements?
what do you like/dislike?

Im also thinking of doing a cherry red one with standard 5 string tuning

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
I really like the shape and the concept. However, I dislike the lack of active electronics and the single tone control.

I also dislike the number of pickups and the placement of them. That's just personal though.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I like the controls and the passive-ness of it. However, I would agree that the pickups are in an ugly, if versatile, combination. If I were you, I'd just throw in three different humbuckers, with a coil tap for each.
Quote by Pastorius
I like the controls and the passive-ness of it. However, I would agree that the pickups are in an ugly, if versatile, combination. If I were you, I'd just throw in three different humbuckers, with a coil tap for each.

dont go by my photoshop image, those arn't the exact pickup's i am gonna use, but it will be the same config of a humbucker in the bridge, a split coil, and then a jazz in the neck.

to be honest i'd prefer it to sound good than look good.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Quote by Aidy Damage
Versatile-yet-fugly pickups coupled with a not-so-versatile control layout... hmmm...

how is it not versitile?
with these controls i can get every pickup combination possible.
if you talking about it being passive, then i don't mind because i want it to be passive.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Quote by shinhoman
how is it not versitile?
with these controls i can get every pickup combination possible.
if you talking about it being passive, then i don't mind because i want it to be passive.

x

I play a passive bass myself, but wouldn't you want some sort of tonal adjustment for those pickups? Also, how about an easier switching system?
Lets see, overall its nice, but you could swap the Split coil for a single bar split coil, and have the have the split coild and the single coil moved closer together, also two volume knobs and two tone, have a blend knob to select each pickup and another one to mix iot with another pickup. Then do your thingy with the humbucker, that has a vlo and tone, and the other two share a tone and vol. Thats how i would do it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by shinhoman

-3 push-pull volume controls (pulling up activates each pickup)

This doesn't really make sense. So down is off, then up is on and the volume control? You could just forget the push pull, when the knob is at 0, the pickup is effectively off, at any other level, its on. You can now use these push pull pots for stuff like the coil tap, series/parallel and an on/off treble boost by putting a cap on it.

The control layout I would use would be in a similar style to a jazz bass - volume for neck pup w/ push switch for series/parallel, volume for bridge pup w/ push switch for coil split, master tone, top mounted jack output. (or 2 band active EQ here instead of the tone and jack output and move the jack output to the side)

The jazz pickup is gonna be too flabby sounding in that position too. I'd remove the P pup and put the jazz there and i'd move the humbucker nearer the bridge to give a tighter, snappier sound.

If you went 4+1 on the headstock instead of your current 3+2, you could put a logo or something similar quite easily onto the headstock.

You havent included your bridge specs on there either, i'd go for a high mass bridge - gotoh 201 or badass 2.

Active/passive electronics is up to you, I personally am a fan of passive basses but think that humbuckers without active electronics don't quite sound right.

It's no longer your bass anymore, but mine

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
too... Much...

much too much.

I prefer to keep basses relatively simple

Says me with a Jaguar.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Agreeing with Jon, I wouldn't have that P pickup there. It forces the J into a place that makes it basically useless unless you give it it's own output so you can use it as a woofer pup or something.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
if you move the humbucker and split coil farther back, you may have enough room to effectively have a useable and nice sound from that single.

you can help reduce the ugly factor by putting a black fake neck through stripe on it.
also, I bet if you made it three holes, gave each pickup it's own tone knob and volume it would add greatly to your versatility.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You may as well chuck on two humbuckers, with a coil tap, as well as switches to wire each coil in series and parallel.

but then he can't have a split sound, a single coil, and a humbucker at the same time...

HSH?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Deliriumbassist
You don't need split, single and a bucker at the same time.

he may want the option though...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I'd go for a tappable humbucker in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck, with a volume for each, a tone for each, a coil tap for the 'bucker and a series/parallel switch.
Quote by the humanity
if you move the humbucker and split coil farther back, you may have enough room to effectively have a useable and nice sound from that single.

you can help reduce the ugly factor by putting a black fake neck through stripe on it.
also, I bet if you made it three holes, gave each pickup it's own tone knob and volume it would add greatly to your versatility.

i agree with you here, and i have modified it suitably:

i have moved the pups, so the p pup is exactly where it would be on a p bass, the j pup is where it would be on a j bass, and i moved the humbucker a bit closer to the bridge. i actually intended to do this anyways i just hadn't put them in the right places in photoshop.

i have also changed my mind on the knobs, the push pull ones where a silly idea. how does three concentric pots sound? so i could have a tone and volume for each pickup, and i have moved the coil tap switch to where the master tone used to be.

what do you reckon now? any better?

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
looks better too.

also, gold hardware.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

It's pretty similar to the sort of thing I'd have made if I were having something made, but I'd scrap the P and get a 3 band.
good call on the gold hardware:

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
add the black stripe now, it will make it sexy.

I do not lie.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I tried and failed on photoshop to add the stripe, too much messing about with layers and stuff.

If i wanted a stripe through the body i would just make it neck through anyways.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Quote by shinhoman
I tried and failed on photoshop to add the stripe, too much messing about with layers and stuff.

If i wanted a stripe through the body i would just make it neck through anyways.

x

hmm. ok

and a black stripe lol.

it already is quite sexy though.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
hmm. ok

and a black stripe lol.

it already is quite sexy though.

my mates dad works in a saw mill and has apparently got me a nice piece of Sapele to use for the body for free so that means i will be able to spend my whole budget for body wood on a nice pretty maple top

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Quote by shinhoman
my mates dad works in a saw mill and has apparently got me a nice piece of Sapele to use for the body for free so that means i will be able to spend my whole budget for body wood on a nice pretty maple top

x

or on neck wood, some skunk stripes=hawt.

flame maple?

or of course, a AAAA top...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
or on neck wood, some skunk stripes=hawt.

flame maple?

or of course, a AAAA top...

yeah flame maple sounds good, or maby quilted maple.

i do wanna get a nice quality one, but i dont know where in the uk i can get it.
i doubt there will be pretty wood at the saw mill.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I'm no expert on how Electronics are wired, and I don't really for sure know what can or can't be done, but what about this, since you said at one point that you wanted to control all the pickups.
Have a Master volume knob, a blending/selector knob for the P and J pickups, a on/off switch for the Humbucker, and a 3 band EQ with a low, mid, and high knob. Something that looks like this:

If its full of fail then oh well.
Quote by sloasdaylight
I'm no expert on how Electronics are wired, and I don't really for sure know what can or can't be done, but what about this, since you said at one point that you wanted to control all the pickups.
Have a Master volume knob, a blending/selector knob for the P and J pickups, a on/off switch for the Humbucker, and a 3 band EQ with a low, mid, and high knob. Something that looks like this:

If its full of fail then oh well.

hmm yeah that is a possiblilty, i would rather keep it passive though to be honest.
thanks for your effort though

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Like I said earlier, you dont need an on/off switch for your pickups if you have a volume control for them, when the volume is at 0, it is effectively off. I don't think you've fully thought through the controls if youre having an on/off switch and volume control for each pup.

I also still think the P pup is unneccessary. The Jazz pup will still be in the wrong place, having the jazz pickup in that position won't give you a jazz bass sound if that's what you want, it'll sound muddy and undefined just like a gibson equipped with a mudbucker sounds abeit a little less. If you want a P sort sound, I would do what Del suggested and go HH w/ coil tap and series/parallel or forget the jazz pup. If you want a jazz neck pup sound, remove the p pup and stick a single coil where it should go.

It's also a bit funny how you want a versitile pickup selection, but don't want to go active. Active would probably add much more versitility at your fingertips than having 3 different types of pickup

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Quote by Jonnomainman
Like I said earlier, you dont need an on/off switch for your pickups if you have a volume control for them, when the volume is at 0, it is effectively off. I don't think you've fully thought through the controls if youre having an on/off switch and volume control for each pup.

did you not read any of my posts? i changed the electrics, the knobs arnt puh/pull ones anymore.

Quote by Jonnomainman
I also still think the P pup is unneccessary. The Jazz pup will still be in the wrong place, having the jazz pickup in that position won't give you a jazz bass sound if that's what you want, it'll sound muddy and undefined just like a gibson equipped with a mudbucker sounds abeit a little less. If you want a P sort sound, I would do what Del suggested and go HH w/ coil tap and series/parallel or forget the jazz pup. If you want a jazz neck pup sound, remove the p pup and stick a single coil where it should go.

i lined the j pup up perfectly on photoshop, it is in the normal jazz position.

Quote by Jonnomainman
It's also a bit funny how you want a versitile pickup selection, but don't want to go active. Active would probably add much more versitility at your fingertips than having 3 different types of pickup

The point of the bass is that I want these three pickups in. If I have an active eq then I might as well just have one like a stingray. Then there would be no point making it as I could just go and buy a stingray.

There is also the fact that i dont want to spend money on active electronics!

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
too many pickups can hinder sustain, cos the magnets "pull" at the strings. However, I don't think this'll be a problem - I mean, It a bass so the strings are heavier and sustain is less of an issue than on a guitar, also, alot of basses come with two humbuckers, which amounts to about the same number of magnets as in your set up.

personally, well, I'm not a fan of the asthetics - but my oppinion shouldn't stop you, it's whether you like it or not.

have you thought about series/parallel switching, or phase switches?
You have to be careful how you wire it otherwise it turning one vol. knob to 0 could cause a short circuit, like on a les paul. Jazz basses have a nifty way of getting round this; the pot is wired kind of, upside-down?
Last edited by jimRH7 at Jan 25, 2009,
Quote by shinhoman
did you not read any of my posts? i changed the electrics, the knobs arnt puh/pull ones anymore.

i lined the j pup up perfectly on photoshop, it is in the normal jazz position.

The point of the bass is that I want these three pickups in. If I have an active eq then I might as well just have one like a stingray. Then there would be no point making it as I could just go and buy a stingray.

There is also the fact that i dont want to spend money on active electronics!

x

Is that all to scale cause it doesnt look right to me when I look at the jazz bass on my lap. Make sure you to a to scale drawing with the exact dimensions, otherwise, your pickups wont fit.

Also wont the jazz pickup be pushing the P pickup back so that wont give you the P bass sound.

Do you realise how much you'll be spending on pickups? If you use Bartolini pickups, £100 for the humbucker, £100 for the split pickup, and I cant find an individual single coil neck but the bridge is £60. Thats £260 on pickups.

It's not cheap to buy all these pickups unless you go for no name, unbranded ones, and then you'd have a substandard sounding bass.

A 2 band active EQ is £100 from Bartolini. Thats probably worth more than that p bass pickup.

And single humbucker stingrays always sounds like a single humbucker stingray regardless of the EQ on it, that's why a H/S stingray is more versitile, I'd doubt you can get more tones with a bass with a H/P/S set up which is passive than a bass which is H/S with active electronics, you also know that they'd cost the same to build.

How are you gonna get around the different outputs of the different pickups too? You realise, the humbucker will be much much hotter than the other two, dont you?

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Quote by Jonnomainman
Is that all to scale cause it doesnt look right to me when I look at the jazz bass on my lap. Make sure you to a to scale drawing with the exact dimensions, otherwise, your pickups wont fit.?

it isnt perfect but it is pretty accurate. i will do a proper full scale drawing before i make it though, this is just a mock up.

Quote by Jonnomainman
Also wont the jazz pickup be pushing the P pickup back so that wont give you the P bass sound.

yeah probably.

Quote by Jonnomainman
Do you realise how much you'll be spending on pickups? If you use Bartolini pickups, £100 for the humbucker, £100 for the split pickup, and I cant find an individual single coil neck but the bridge is £60. Thats £260 on pickups.

who said i was buying barts? ill probably get used fender pups off of ebay for the p and the j and get a kent armstrong humbucker. either that or seymour duncans.

Quote by Jonnomainman
How are you gonna get around the different outputs of the different pickups too? You realise, the humbucker will be much much hotter than the other two, dont you?

volume knob or a compressor thats what i use on my p bass with a humbucker in the bridge. if i ever use it a band situation im not gonna be changing my pickup selection mid song. so it'll be fine.

you're determined for this project to fail arn't you?

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
here is a mock up of the cherry one i want to do aswell, for BEADG tuning.

x

EDIT: made a mistake on the machine heads. here is a better version with both designs together.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Last edited by shinhoman at Jan 25, 2009,
Is this one another bass you would like to build or is it how you want to finish your current one. If it is a different one, it is in the end way to close to th original one. I think HH or HS would be much better.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Is this one another bass you would like to build or is it how you want to finish your current one. If it is a different one, it is in the end way to close to th original one. I think HH or HS would be much better.

They will be the same except for different tunings. One will be BEADG and the other will be EADGC with a drop d tuner.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
No i meant you know th ebass you ar building at the mo ya, is this what youre ghoing to turn it into, ie the first option, or is it a completly different build.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
No i meant you know th ebass you ar building at the mo ya, is this what youre ghoing to turn it into, ie the first option, or is it a completly different build.

oh the one im building at the moment is like a cheap version of what i plan to do in the future. a prototype if you like? i've only spent like a tenner on materials so far for the one im currently building.

so it will be a completely different build with nicer wood and hardware.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134