What you need. Recording 101
What stuff is. Recording 102
EQ Guide. Recording 103
Mic Positions. Recording 104
Mixing. Recording 105
Finishing. Recording 106

NOTE: These are guides and tips, they don't have to be done in any order (Except what you need and mic positioning of course) but don't take them as hard and fast rules because there are none.

So i've finished.. now what? Recording 106

This is going to be the last and smallest of these little articles. I'll just go over what to do now that you have a finished product.

Ok So you've finished mixing, your happy with your mix and you've eliminated any boomyness that may have been in the mix, happy with the levels, etc etc etc. Your mix is done. Right? Maybe, now this technique is largely for if you want a really professional/semi-pro recording, if you just want a demo, these next tips are optional.

Firstly i'll just explain the difference between a Demo, EP and LP (full length album)

A demo is generally a cd that is NOT mastered, that is used exactly for its namesake, to demonstrate your band to people/venues/record labels etc.
I have found that typically record labels ask for an unmastered cd with 4-6 songs on it not a mastered copy due to mastering CAN make you sound better than you are. Not always, but it CAN.

An EP is a 6 song cd that is occasionally a lead up to an LP or just a cd for when you don't have enough songs for an LP or you're just starting out with a band. Its usually advisable to release an EP before an LP even if you just re-use the songs on the LP later. An EP IS mastered as it is a commercial release.

A LP is what everyone knows and loves as an album. Once again, most DEFINATELY mastered. A 12 song un-mastered CD is still a demo.

And now onwards to finalizing your cd.

#1 Bounce your tracks down to 44.1khz 16bit wav (or aiff) files for maximum cd quality sound. If you can't dither or bounce down to these specific settings, just bounce it down to the wav (or aiff) file and then just burn the tracks onto an audio cd (the program will automatically convert it for you.

#2 Listen to the cd where you would normally listen to a cd, in your headphones, your car, your stereo, your dvd player, little crappy speakers, and if you can just one mono speaker (make sure it is actually mono not just like the left channel).

#3 If you heard anything bad while listening to it all go back and fix it in the mix (if you only heard something bad on ONE source, it could just be that speaker etc) Then repeat steps 1 and 2 again. This is generally a lengthy, cd wasting process but it's so worth it.

#4 This is where the demo and EP/LP split. For demos just do step 1 again in the order you want the songs. If you are going for a commercial release, this is where you want to bounce the bounce the tracks to the highest quality wav files you can. So if you recorded at 48khz 24 bit then bounce it to that, don't decrease the quality at all. After that burn the individual files onto a cd, take it to a mastering engineer and let them work their magic. They'll do everything that needs to be done, well before you need to distribute it. So when you get it back from the mastering engineer, you either need to go to a cd duplicator, find a distributor or burn the copies yourselves! Then you need to start selling.

Here are a few links for you to advertise or distribute your music.

https://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZLabel.woa/wa/apply (for submitting your music on itunes)
www.purevolume.com (music promotion)
www.myspace.com (it's myspace... no brainer)
http://www.tunecore.com/ (submitting your songs, mastering service and don't forget to read the tunecore guides they're really really good)

So hopefully by the end of all this process you have a great sounding commercial release (or demo).

Thanks for reading these guides and i hope they've helped in some way form or fashion.
Last edited by doommaker at Feb 1, 2009,