Page 1 of 2
Hey, i just purchased a used 2004 epiphone les paul standard plus top with seymour duncans with hard case for $400. It has new pots, switch, and etc. is this a good deal? I have it in my hand right now and it sounds absolutely amazing though. I used to have a schecter blackjack and fender standard (mexican) and this guitar sounds and plays much better. Also, is this a fake?

Update!

Ok the tuners were changed to grovers. My only concern is the logo right now. Some of the fakes out there are becoming more real and real. I can't say much about the electronics because the seller changed all the wires etc.

THanx!
Last edited by darkmichael65 at Jan 23, 2009,
looks pretty legit to me. what would lead you to think it's a fake ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
i don't know why anybody would fake an epiphone, since epiphone is a fake gibson
It's all about feel
Something looks odd about the Epiphone logo to me, but I've never really looked at the logo long enough before to commit it to memory.

Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
I just got paranoid reading one of the ebay guides about fake made in china epiphone. Hopespaul, Gibson are awesome guitars. But, theyre so expensive.
Quote by Baconfish
Something looks odd about the Epiphone logo to me, but I've never really looked at the logo long enough before to commit it to memory.

i see what u mean the n's are odd
Quote by Telestar
Trust me man, it's Smoke on the Water. Deep Purple only wrote one song.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG2EX1

Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Digitech Grunge Distortion pedal

Line 6 spider 3 75w
Looks very legit. If it was fake, it's a damn good fake.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
i doubt anybody would waste their time throwing duncans in a fake epi.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
If it really sounds as good and plays as well as you said, what does it matter if its a "fake" or not?

Its obviously a pretty sweet guitar according to you. $400 seems like a fair price if it beats out a $400 Schecter and Fender.

Still... it looks fine to me.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Quote by mikeyElite

Lol, maybe they would throw some fake duncans into this. You never know.
Quote by darkmichael65
Lol, maybe they would throw some fake duncans into this. You never know.

haha
It's all about feel
The epiphone tag is that painted or Mother of pearl? Fakes are normally painted, then again I know nothing of Epiphones, Thats still a nice axe tho.
I just checked my Epi Les Paul Standard Plus top, and it looks like yours has tuners more like the Gibson ones, whereas mine are just standard Grovers. Also, my Epiphone logo is done in pearl inlay.

But let me point out, I got my guitar a few days ago, so it's most likely just minor differences between models that are a few years apart.

I'd say yours is real!
Quote by DimeLvR
The epiphone tag is that painted or Mother of pearl? Fakes are normally painted, then again I know nothing of Epiphones, Thats still a nice axe tho.

Its mother of pearl. But, lots of fake epiphone still have mother of pearl logos. Those damn chinese ppl are experts at this going to guitar center and taking pics and writing down serial numbers. Not exactly a good thing. (Im chinese btw so no offense lol)
Quote by darkmichael65
Its mother of pearl. But, lots of fake epiphone still have mother of pearl logos. Those damn chinese ppl are experts at this going to guitar center and taking pics and writing down serial numbers. Not exactly a good thing. (Im chinese btw so no offense lol)

that's more like a compliment
It's all about feel
Quote by darkmichael65

If the epi's are anything like the gibsons, this should clear it up.

http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Lifestyle/Features/CounterfeitGibsons/
Quote by darkmichael65
Thanx a lot. I guess the thing is real then. Just precrautionaries. THanx for all the replies.

idk your guitar has the 3 screws instead of 2, is that standard among epi's? It isn't among gibsons.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
idk your guitar has the 3 screws instead of 2, is that standard among epi's? It isn't among gibsons.

Ahh that doesnt sound good. Its a plus top btw. I heard about the screw differences, but only in gibson. Can someone confirm that?
Quote by darkmichael65
Ahh that doesnt sound good. Its a plus top btw. I heard about the screw differences, but only in gibson. Can someone confirm that?

I just looked at a few epi's on guitarcenter.com and they seem to have 3 screws as well, looks legit to me dude, enjoy it.
tuners are different, the finish is kinda weird and the knobs dont look in line with each other....looks pretty fake
Quote by darkmichael65

the epi's have three screws. I've got an Epi standard in front of me right now, and to tell you the truth, that epiphone logo is completely different... ok, not completely, but the bottom of the N and top of the E are too rounded, compared to mine. Plus, the color of the logo is off, it's whiter than mine. The curvature of the divets on the top are also a little more pronounced than mine... but, when I look it up on google, there's about 30 differant epi standard headstocks... so, I couldn't say. What's the seriel number?
also, mine's a 96'
http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Last edited by Thomme at Jan 23, 2009,
The serial number does work with guitardaterproject. Also, the tuners are changed to grover btw. My only concern now is the logo. Thanx for bringing that up. It is mother of pearl. But, everyone continuously claims its strange.
Looks legit. you're good.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i'd probably take a well crafted fake over a real epiphone. way back when japanese instrument makers started making mandolins, even the best put a "Gibson" on the headstock because people simply wanted it to say Gibson. In some cases the instruments they crafted were better than the originals, according to my former host father, who is essentially the go to guy for bluegrass within japan.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
Quote by darkmichael65
The serial number does work with guitardaterproject. Also, the tuners are changed to grover btw. My only concern now is the logo. Thanx for bringing that up. It is mother of pearl. But, everyone continuously claims its strange.

Mine's "mother of pearl" too, but a darker, deeper MOP. What did it say about your seriel number, exactly? Could be that yours is from a different Factory than mine. I know there are those discrepencies with guitars. Like the VM Thinline teles from one factory have one kind of F-holes, while the other factory have the Fender correct F-holes, just as an example.

It could be that yours was built in a differant factory than mine, and has a slightly differant headstock, or maybe they re-tooled the machines. I'm not saying that it's a fake, just... that it isn't 100% the same as my epi standard. But, there's also an 8 year difference between the two.
Quote by Thomme
But, there's also an 8 year difference between the two.

this is the answer.
every key
every secret

Quote by mikeyElite

+8, unless the the duncan logo is painted on hehehe
The O in epiphone is different to mine.
Your O has the little gap at the bottom whereas mine is at the top.
Probably different factories/year of manufacture.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by Ian hawkins
The O in epiphone is different to mine.
Your O has the little gap at the bottom whereas mine is at the top.
Probably different factories/year of manufacture.

Yeh, i noticed different headstock logos amongst epiphone. Okay, i guess the guitar is authentic. Thanx.
Quote by staticoverdub
this is the answer.

I don't know that that's the absolute answer, cause Fender Mexis had the same headstock and logo from 1989 to 2009... so, that's a 20 year run on those...
The O in Epiphone has the little gap at the top on 2 Epi's I have here at my house. That could vary depending on the year it was made I'm not sure. Other than that it looks real. If it is fake you still got a good deal on it. The Duncan's run about $150, the case about $90 and the chrome Grovers are about $50 (plus new pots and switch). That's $300 or more in extras so it wasn't a bad deal.
Yeah man, that looks pretty legit.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Quote by Thomme
I don't know that that's the absolute answer, cause Fender Mexis had the same headstock and logo from 1989 to 2009... so, that's a 20 year run on those...

i believe fender owns and operates the mexican factories which produce their guitars. epiphone on the other hand, contracts to independent factories nowadays which change over time.
every key
every secret

Its an Epi,I wouldnt worry too much about it beign a fake unless you go with Gibson. If it plays,you like it,then get it.
does it matter if its real or not? if it plays good and is built good who cares? its got Duncans and all new electronics in it right? so what does it matter?

id rather have a fake that plays better than a real epi rather than a real epi that plays bad. get what im sayin? just like the fake gibbys, if it plays at LEAST as good as an epi then for like $400 its a good deal!
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Page 1 of 2