So one thing I've noticed myself doing more and more is when I am not satisfied with a bassline in a song I will hum out my own, and then when I learn a song if I don't like the bass line I'll figure out the key and try to write a better one.

So my question is: Does anyone else do this kinda stuff? Is it normal or am I just weird and unsatisfied with music?

Also does anyone else write new basslines to other artists songs? Or am I corrupting the song?
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
yeah, I do it a lot.

wrote a new bassline for one song because it was buried in the mix and I was to lazy to mess with the radio EQ.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I do it too sometimes. It's not so much corrupting it as much as it is adapting it to your playing style and preferences. I don't see how anything can be wrong with that unles you're trying to play it live, some people might notice.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
yeah, my bands doing a cover of binge and grab and my guitarist didn't like the bass line, so he wrote a new one for me to play. i personally didn't care much which i played but i guess i would prefer the one which is less boring to play, that being the one he wrote.
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
Ok good. Well I know some people have said that on songs with Root Note Bass Lines as minimalist bass playing and that doesn't fit me. I like to just improv, nothing really solid, just play something and if one part is cool then I might keep it. Though mostly I just mess around on scales and such.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
i alter quite a few basslines in the songs my band covers. often because i couldn't quite figure there's out quite perfect but mostly to jazz it up a little. We also have me cover some guitar solo fills. sounds so cool. I don't alter the important parts of course. when the guitar does solos is when i do my best stuff.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
We're all weird and unsatisfied with what little the bass has in most songs, thus we one up the lines a little. :P
I don't know what I'm doing, but I still do it anyway...

Just for the lulz.
I've written a new bassline to just about every Fall Out Boy song ever put out. Tabs on the way.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
I re-write the bass lines for almost every U2 song i hear. Honestly, i think the most impressive thing Adam Clayton has done so far is make something for me to finish
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
I re-write the bass lines for almost every U2 song i hear. Honestly, i think the most impressive thing Adam Clayton has done so far is make something for me to finish

Vertigo never sounded right unless I did it his way honestly.

dead serious.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by CBurtonIsKing

Lol, that was nice.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
You're a freak and you ruin music as we know it!

Not really.

I do it too. Especially when I get a chord sheet.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
I have to do this when I play with my floor-mates. I don't listen to the music they listen to, so I make up bass lines based on the guitar's chords and the drum's rhythm, throw in some fills, and mess up when they change to a new part (that I'm oblivious of).
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
I almost never play the real part to a song....I like making up my own parts much better. The downside is that when people tell me to play something, I've got nothing.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by the humanity
Vertigo never sounded right unless I did it his way honestly.

dead serious.

To give the man credit, hes "solid". Thats essentially what U2 needs in a rhythm section, since The Edge's guitar riffs are very "flighty" if you know what i mean. If he was doodling away constantly, the music would be like a kite with nothing holding onto it. And plus people would pay less attention to Bono prancing about the stage and being...umm..political? lol.

But meh, i still enjoy putting little bits and pieces in there. I feel like U2 would sound better if there was a bass player complementing The Edge's textures a tad bit more, if that makes any sense =P
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
To give the man credit, hes "solid". Thats essentially what U2 needs in a rhythm section, since The Edge's guitar riffs are very "flighty" if you know what i mean. If he was doodling away constantly, the music would be like a kite with nothing holding onto it. And plus people would pay less attention to Bono prancing about the stage and being...umm..political? lol.

But meh, i still enjoy putting little bits and pieces in there. I feel like U2 would sound better if there was a bass player complementing The Edge's textures a tad bit more, if that makes any sense =P

I understand, that song however they actually fit quite well. most other ones, I'm improvising all over the place.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
I understand, that song however they actually fit quite well. most other ones, I'm improvising all over the place.

Aye, same My favorite has to be One. Is it just me, or does the original bass line sound kinda like a chopped up version of the one from Drive by Incubus?
Quote by thefitz
hmmm.

now that you mention it, a little bit... not enough to matter, but yeah.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Even if i learn something by tabs i'll end up changing it just cause it either sounds better to me or maybe i just feel better playing it. Most of the time if its the "feel better" thing thats just cause its root notes and i didnt want to be bored outta my mind, still have to remember to keep the extra stuff tasteful though.

Songs learned by ear are just always this way.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."