Poll: Which strat would you buy?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which strat would you buy?
Guitar #1: 2006 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
13 31%
Guitar #2: 2000 Fender American Deluxe Designer Stratocaster
28 67%
Neither. If neither, please post why.
1 2%
Voters: 42.
I've been looking at American Deluxe Stratocasters for a while now, and I'm pretty much ready to purchase. I have been primarily looking at used guitars so that I can save a few hundred. I've got my search narrowed down to these two guitars:

2006 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

OR

2000 Fender American Deluxe Designer Stratocaster

Now I've played a ton of regular American Deluxe Strats, but I haven't ever played one with this quilted maple top. I think it looks sexy as hell, but how is it going to sound? Is anybody familiar with these guitars? I'm looking for some insight. It is going to be an online purchase so I will not have an opportunity to play the guitar before I buy.

I know that the FMT HSS models use 1/8" of solid flamed maple on top of an alder body. I assume that this guitar probably uses the same, but I would like to know for sure. Acoustic guitars are my forté; I'm a noob around these parts. This will be my second electric.

1. Is this actual quilted maple?
2. Is it solid quilted maple?
3. Is it ash or alder or what underneath there?
4. Would a 2000 model have the CSN pups?

HELP!

And a poll for fun. The two are very similar in price. Which would you buy?

EDIT: New info here
1. Probably
2. It's probably a veneer
3. Most likely alder
4. I don't know.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
It is a veneer, so it'll sound the same. (or maybe slightly slightly different, but not noticeable)

And none of these are Telecasters?
I can't believe I typed Telecaster instead of Stratocaster in the title. Fixed!

So how can you tell that it is a veneer and not a 1/8" piece of solid maple like the FMT strats? Or would you consider that to be a veneer as well? I don't know what the exact definition of veneer would be for guitars, but I always imagined a veneer as something much thinner than 1/8".
1/8 inch is a veneer...
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
OK, I've gotten some more info.

The Designer guitar with the quilted maple top doesn't have the S1 switch or the newer CSN pups. So I'd be looking at changing out the pups if I get it. After I buy the new ones, have them installed, and sell the old ones... I'm estimating that it'll cost about $100. So now I'm really torn as to which option to go with.

The Designer is going to cost $100 more, have to be taken to a tech, and it won't have the S1 switch, but it does have the sexy maple top.

The regular Deluxe has all the newest stuff, is ready to go right when I get it, is $100 cheaper... but doesn't have the sexy maple top.

What would you do? Discuss.
Hmm, tough choice..

I'd go for the 2006 Deluxe though. I've heard the S-1 switching is pretty cool and I've never been a fan of flamed tops on strats. I prefer my strats to be plain.
Yeah, I'm leaning towards the 2006 now as well. I may just wait a few weeks and see if a newer maple top shows up.
2000 because of the flame and finish. i like how it doesnt turn black on the edges
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I'd say the 2006 purely because you said you've tried a lot of the new ones and you know you like them. Seems silly if you know you like one guitar to then consider buying another guitar you've never played instead.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Well it seems to me that the guitars will sound the same, so I am drawn towards the one that looks better. And hell I can always sell it without losing very much if it arrives and I don't like it.

Also, I found a guy that can install a modded/improved S-1 switch system in the guitar for like $100. So now, other than the fact that the Designer guitar will cost about $200-$300 more, there are no cons. I think I may go with that one and just get the mods done. I care less about the money than I do about making sure I am 100% satisfied with the guitar.
i've got a deluxe strat HSS with quilted maple top, it has S1 switching and the single coil pups are hot samarium cobalt type.

its got an 1/8in maple cap on top of an alder body and an ebony fretboard on a maple neck. it doesn't have a scratchplate. it's a good guitar to play (after having a good setup) and has good tonal variety thanks to the S1 switching and the humbucker at the bridge.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
i've also got s1 switching in my mia le 62' deluxe ri, i bought a few years ago.

mines a SSS. i like the s1 switching, but i personally found that the tonal changes arent as dramatic as i thought they'd be.

i DO like the SCn pups a lot tho.

i would get the nicer looking guitar and upgrade the pups.

i wouldnt have to be fussed with an exact S1, a push pull would probably be much cheaper and offer enough james bond-edness to keep me happy all around.

i would only hesitate if i wasnt playing it first, didnt know the owner type thing.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
TBH the look like pretty much the same thing.
Desicions like this are only fun when it's like between a Les Paul and a JEM or something.
i'm sorry my thread wasn't fun enough for you, but i think they look completely different. one is a three tone burst and the other is cherry burst on quilted maple...

thanks for all the replies.

I'm about to buy #2 unless the price ends up being outrageous, in which case I can get #1 for $825 shipped.
that sucks.

i thought you were looking on craigslist.

i know in ny it's pretty good for used MIAs
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Haha yeah it does suck, and nope I was looking on eBay.

I doubt I'll be able to find another one of that Designer run. I think I read that there were only 100 made.
be on the lookout for used MIA deluxe Ash strats. pretty close, just needs a new guard.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/item/expandedimage.aspx?t=4&img=Fender/374611jpg.jpg

should be some around. maybe some in different bursts.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Jan 24, 2009,
get an ibanez lololololol

The 2000 looks purdy, I think there won't be too much of a sound difference between the two guitars; they look look like they've got pretty stock-standard pickups, and given that the 2000 only has a flamed maple veneer (or so we are guessing), the maple shouldn't make much of a difference in sound if it was constructed properly (too much glue, for example, could have a negative effect on the sound however). I think that with Fenders, since they're essentially mass produced, you're gonna get a pretty decent guitar most of the time because there isn't much variation between different guitars. That said, try to go to a shop with one of these guitars and play them to see if you like how they feel. Unfortunately, there are exceptions to the rule above and sometimes, you're gonna get a crappy guitar online because you don't know where its coming from or how its gonna feel. I reckon that you should be pretty well set with a used guitar though. Good luck.
Thanks for all the links and advice guys. I got outbid on the 2000 Designer from the original post at the last second. I ended up buying this 98/99 American Deluxe

Sorry the picture is so huge.
I don't really like red strats, but if you're happy with it, you should know that you have a very versatile guitar on your hands I think it was a good move to go for a strat with a humbucker in the bridge, it's gonna give you the option for a much larger array of sounds. Congratulations
wow, i like the inlays.

better have that intonation checked, those saddles are all over the place.

good luck, looks beautiful.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Is that an aftermarket humbucker? Always liked covered buckers on strats - hot rod look. Love the red as well. Congrats.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
nice guitar hows that humbucker sound?
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Thanks for the compliments and congrats everyone.

Quote by jj1565
better have that intonation checked, those saddles are all over the place.

Yeah I thought the same thing when I saw the picture. That's not a big deal to adjust though

Quote by pEdAl2
Is that an aftermarket humbucker?

Yeah they pickups are all aftermarket. The single coils are '69 Woodstock Lindy Fralin's and the humbucker is an unknown aftermarket pickup, although hand signed by two people on the bottom. I'll have to wait to get it to see if I can figure out what the humbucker is. I'm really curious as to how I'll like the pickups in the guitar now. I have no reservations about changing them, but maybe I'll love em!

Quote by AthenasGhost
nice guitar hows that humbucker sound?

Not sure yet I'll let you know in a few days when it gets here.