What's up everybody? I'm 19 years old and have recently decided to purchase a guitar and learn how to play. In fact me and a few of my friends now have aspirations of starting a band. However I know next to nothing about what is considered a good guitar for a good price along with a good amp and whatever else I may need to start rocking out. So I figured I'd ask some people on a forum like this for some help. Anyway this is the one I've had in mind for awhile now... what do you guys think?
Quote by Legendary Z
What's up everybody? I'm 19 years old and have recently decided to purchase a guitar and learn how to play. In fact me and a few of my friends now have aspirations of starting a band. However I know next to nothing about what is considered a good guitar for a good price along with a good amp and whatever else I may need to start rocking out. So I figured I'd ask some people on a forum like this for some help. Anyway this is the one I've had in mind for awhile now... what do you guys think?

What type of music do you want to play?
if you have the money, that's an excellent guitar...

if you already have an electric guitar though, i'd say to buy a good amp first.. Amp affects overall sound/tone much more than the guitar does. A good guitar through a bad amp will sound bad, but a bad guitar through a good amp will sound decent
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by Xeron Brigs
What type of music do you want to play?

Well I want to eventually be able to play songs from all my favorite artists from Nirvana to Metallica to Scar Symmetry... but the genre of music I'll likely be playing the most will be Metalcore since that is what my future band will very likely be.

Quote by FightinIrishPJ
if you have the money, that's an excellent guitar...

if you already have an electric guitar though, i'd say to buy a good amp first.. Amp affects overall sound/tone much more than the guitar does. A good guitar through a bad amp will sound bad, but a bad guitar through a good amp will sound decent

Well I'd appreciate it if you could give me an example of a good amp if it that important... like I said I don't know very much about these things and from what I've heard if you start off with bad equipment you can lose the desire to learn how to play.
Last edited by Legendary Z at Jan 23, 2009,
I had that guitar for 4 years, and I'm just starting to grow out of it. It's a great guitar to learn on, and figure out the direction you want to go in.
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
get a peavey vypyr 30. it is quite loud and gives you a lot of effects. it is a good amp for $200
im with fugume, great to bring jamming, wouldnt wanna carry that vypyr 30 too far though, its pretty heavy. If your looking for something with a floyd rose, and can give a heavy sound, check out a Jackson Dinky or a cheap dean. But to start off, i would suggest a Strat, cant go wrong
Quote by fugume
get a peavey vypyr 30. it is quite loud and gives you a lot of effects. it is a good amp for $200

Well what is considered a good amp that is around $100? That's what I figured is the most I would be willing to spend unless there aren't any good ones for that price...
1. you're going to want at least 1 humbucker. so if you like fenders, then buy an HSS style.

2. dont spend $400 on a guitar and $100 on an amp.
try an HSS yamaha pacifica 112 J , m or similar for $200. and a cube 30 for $225.

3. this goes in EG section.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^why do you guys keep saying that?

there are all kinds of strats, and it's wrong if it's not suited to his style of play.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
1. you're going to want at least 1 humbucker. so if you like fenders, then buy an HSS style.

2. dont spend $400 on a guitar and $100 on an amp.
try an HSS yamaha pacifica 112 J , m or similar for $200. and a cube 30 for $225.

3. this goes in EG section.

1. What exactly is an HSS sytle?

2. So are you saying buy a cheaper guitar and a better amp then?

3. Can someone please move this for me?

^why do you guys keep saying that?

there are all kinds of strats, and it's wrong if it's not suited to his style of play.

Well I'm not 100% set on the Strat but I have heard it is an excellent guitar and out of the guitars I have heard are good it was the cheapest. What else would be a good guitar for a good value? One of other cheaper guitars I know of is the Warbeast is that any good?
For your style of music, I'd go with something like this:

Epiphone G-400 - $400 at Gc
Peavey Vypyr 30 - this will be your practice amp for now
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by Legendary Z
1. What exactly is an HSS sytle?

2. So are you saying buy a cheaper guitar and a better amp then?

3. Can someone please move this for me?

Well I'm not 100% set on the Strat but I have heard it is an excellent guitar and out of the guitars I have heard are good it was the cheapest. What else would be a good guitar for a good value? One of other cheaper guitars I know of is the Warbeast is that any good?

honestly, i'm not a BC rich fan. tho, some of the more expensive ones are fine , i'm sure.

HSS= humbucker, single coil, single coil.
there are three mics on the front of that fat strat.
the "fat" one, or the humbucker, is usually used in heavy rock, metal applications.

the thin pickups are single coils, and can have a more classic rock, quack to to them.

so having at least one Humbucker, with your taste in music is important.
in this case, that black one is the humbucker.

amps are so important. make sure you like the weight, and the action, and the guitar's ability to stay in tune.

but also, please make sure you get an amp, with nice tone.
in this price range, at LEAST get a microcube, or a voxDA, small amps with a lot of usable effects. ($125 usd. or spend more if you want)

this will help you decide the type of music you like to play.

i like to split the amount spent to about 50/50. but if you want to give extra to the guitar, then just be smart about it, and spend enough for the amp, that you're not kicking yourself later.

dont worry about them moving it. this'll get closed i'm sure.

then start hanging out in EG instead.

in this section you'll get a lot of guys trying to answer questions to things they haven't quite figured out yet themselves.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Jan 26, 2009,
+1 on everything jj1565 is saying. I rarely play stuff as heavy as metalcore, and even for the stuff I'm playing, if it were my only guitar, a bridge humbucker would be essential. Amps are incredibly important too. It's an extreme which isn't likely to happen in the real world, but plug a $200 Yamaha pacifica 112 into a $2000 amp and it'll sound good (whereas an expensive $2000 guitar would sound great). But plug that $2000 guitar into a $50 starter amp and it'll sound crap.

hopefully a mod can move this to the correct section if you need any more help.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So what do you guys think of the Jackson? Would that and a $200 amp be a good to start off with?
which jackson? the lower-end jacksons aren't meant to be that great, and i'd definitely avoid the ones with double-locking trems as they're liable to be cheaply made and hence wear out quickly.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
which jackson? the lower-end jacksons aren't meant to be that great, and i'd definitely avoid the ones with double-locking trems as they're liable to be cheaply made and hence wear out quickly.

This one.