Hey guys! I'm a freshman in high school, who basically does nothing but go to school, sleep, eat, and play guitar all day. The only thing I want to do is go to Berklee and study guitar. I have been playing about 1 and a half years. I was wondering if you guys can give me any tips about what to study so that I can get into berklee right after highschool.

Thanks alot!

PS: Please No "Berklee Sucks" comments.
Berklee Sucks.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

list of things you can do, here are just some:
- If you don't already then take professional guitar lessons.
- Learn as much as possible about musical theory, may not seem exciting to somebody who only wants to play songs, but it is extremely important.
- Make sure you're the kind of person who can hit the books. Most of the time you'll be learning theory, which requires reading, studying, and memorizational skills.

If there's more I can think of I'll edit and add them.
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
A.) Don't equate going to a prestigious school like Berkley to being accomplished as a musician. Just because you get in and attend doesn't automatically mean you're going to get the best "education" possible for your goals. I mean, Petrucci dropped out after his first year (?), and look at how successful he is now...

B.) Practice

C.) Practice

D.) Study everything there is to know about music in general, because specialized knowledge can be learned outside of the college. So why pay to attend if you're only interested in one aspect of what the school has to offer you...

E.) Practice

Good luck, this is one path I wish I'd realized I would've liked to have taken sooner....

-TFA
Learn to read standard notation.

Unless you're totally amazing or just have a ton of money, consider going to a state school with a decent music program and then transfering to berklee.
My advise would be to ask Xiaoxi. He's currently a freshman at Berklee. He'll be able to tell you what the requirements are.

Oh yeah, and PRACTICE, learn to read, PRACTICE, get a head start on learning theory, and most of all PRACTICE.
There's my way and the wrong way.
two things. first, as a guitarist just make every note count. turn off your distortion and REALLY hit those notes. just make an effort when you practice to hit every note. whether you go to berklee or not, there's no greater favor a guitarist can do for himself

second, i have a friend who graduated from berklee and helped me get in and he told me a story about the different types of people at berklee. he says there's the jazz and classical guys that get along fine, because at berklee they will SHOVE jazz down your throat. then there are the non-jazz guys who go in and just accept what theyre taught and practice it. and then you have the non-jazz guys who refuse to learn it and drop out a semester in.

open your mind, listen to and study jazz and classical music. personally, i hate jazz, but you come to realize after learning it that EVERYTHING comes from jazz and classical music. when you learn jazz, you can do anything
Quote by briman007

open your mind, listen to and study jazz and classical music. personally, i hate jazz, but you come to realize after learning it that EVERYTHING comes from jazz and classical music. when you learn jazz, you can do anything

this, whether talking about getting into berklee, or anything related to music, is great advice.
Quote by Guitar x Dude 7
this, whether talking about getting into berklee, or anything related to music, is great advice.

why thank you, guitar dude
Honestly... if you really want to get in, I'd suggest learning another instrument. From what I've been told by people who go there, about half the student body is guitarists, so if you're going in for guitar, you better be good and offer something that most other students don't have. Like, being proficient in a number of styles will help you. Remember, everyone who auditions there is at least somewhat good and serious about music, otherwise they wouldn't be auditioning there. Oh and some reading ability will also help you.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
Quote by trey-col89
Honestly... if you really want to get in, I'd suggest learning another instrument. From what I've been told by people who go there, about half the student body is guitarists, so if you're going in for guitar, you better be good and offer something that most other students don't have. Like, being proficient in a number of styles will help you. Remember, everyone who auditions there is at least somewhat good and serious about music, otherwise they wouldn't be auditioning there. Oh and some reading ability will also help you.

Isn't the fact that Berklee features guitar as a main instrument the reason why most of the musicians there are guitarists?