so im planning on building a little gem/ruby amp. COMBO. how do i find out what ohm speakers i should use for those amps? does it matter?

also... those schematics have "volume lug2" "gain lug1" and etc. do they mean that they connect to the 3 things (lugs?) on a potentiameter?

thank you
Ohms measure resistance, and yes, it does matter. I don't know how to find out what speakers it is, but it's probably around 8 ohms, I haven't seen one of these amps, but I think that's what most are (at least practice amps, I could be COMPLETELY wrong). There will be other, better answers.

On the pot question: since it says volume, gain, and so on, I'm pretty sure each one of those is for a different knob (less commonly known as a potentiometer). Now that I read your question differently, you may be right.

You probably shouldn't believe me, because I don't know near enough to be giving advice, because the little I know is rarely right. I'm ranting aren't I?
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
each pot has 3 lugs, 1, 2, 3

For the ohms, my guess is to set your multimeter to read ohms (resistance) and then put the red wire on the hot output and black lead on the ground output
Quote by guitarcam123
each pot has 3 lugs, 1, 2, 3

For the ohms, my guess is to set your multimeter to read ohms (resistance) and then put the red wire on the hot output and black lead on the ground output

lol i dont even know what a multimeter is..
little gem is 4 ohms, idk about ruby.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Go to a hardware store and ask for one, they usually have them. They measure resistance, amps, voltage, and I think one other thing, and that guy posted a link that could possibly be one. If you do get one, however, you should probably get a digital one instead of a manual.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
$5 multimeter?

The one at my school is like $300... fackles.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
I picked one up for 2$.
My parents bought me a real nice Craftsmen one a couple months later, and I think the 2$ one works better. Not kidding.

TS, what schematic/layout are you using? There are a lot of variations, are you using the ones from runoffgroove?
Epiphone Valve Junior
Peavy Windsor Head
Ampeg J-12T
1959 Harmony H400A
Randall Pro-Tube 2000

Gibson Faded Special SG
Homemade superstrat with EMG 81
Peavy Tracer
Washburn XB600 6-string bass
Enough pedals to crush a rhino
With them being SS amps there isn't the necessity to match impedance required by tube amps.

From the schems available on the net 4Ohms+ with 8Ohms being the norm for Little Gem speakers. Different rated speakers will sound different so if you have the chance to test it on different speakers combinations (i.e. plug the amp in to different cabs) to see which you prefer the sound of before committing to a speaker.
yes im sticking to the schematic from ROG.

so i guess 4 ohms or anything +4 ohms would be good for me right?

btw. i was looking for a way to stick an led light somehwere in the little gem circuit but seeing that im not an electronics master, im gonna ask you guys where i should put the led on the circuit.
to light up when its on? id say just get an extra pole switch i.e instead of dpst get tpst switches (one with nine contacts instead of 6) and join an led to there and a wire from the positive of the battery to the other contact attached a pic of what i mean, you will need a resistor for it, depending on your source voltage and your led voltage here use this http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz
Last edited by guitar-godfrey at Jan 26, 2009,
check in the columns for my article on matching speakers and amps. Don't go lower than 4 ohms
Good luck