I'm currently trying to choose between the Peavey ValveKing 112 50 Watt Tube Combo amp, and the Peavey Vypyr 60 Watt tube combo amp. I've been trying to find a small, cheap tube combo amp with around 30 watts, but these were the closest I could find (dammit). I play strictly cleans (Metallica: And Justice For All) and metal (Slayer: Reign In Blood).

VALVEKING PROS:
- It's slightly cheaper (doesn't really count because it's only $30 and my dad's buying it)
- It has less watts, which is good because I don't need that many watts, especially since 10 watts in tube is a LOT.
- It has two footswitchable channels, but I may not get a footswitch

VYPYR PROS:
- I've heard only GREAT things about/ from this amp
- 3 channels, but only footswitchable with a Sanpera I or II pedal, which I won't be getting.

But of course, sound is always the most important to me, and for this I am leaning slightly towards the Vypyr.

If you can suggest another small tube combo amp, PLEASE do.

If you were lucky enough to test the sound of both these amps, tell me what you thought. Thanks!

EDIT: I've also noticed that there is a difference in tubes between these three amps: The ValveKing has two 6L6GC power amp tubes and three 12AX7 preamp tubes, while the Vypyr has one 12AX7 preamp tube and four 6L6GC power amp tubes. How would this affect the amps in terms of sound?
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt combo amp
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
Last edited by cohen5250 at Jan 23, 2009,
The Valveking is a all-valve amp, the Vypyr is a modelling amp mainly based on solid state (to the best of my knowledge). To be honest, you'd be better off getting the Valkveking - What power in terms of Watts are you looking at?
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
The Valveking isn't great without several upgrades (it has enough gain for what you want/need stock, however) but the Vypyr Tubes just came out.

Quote by Korzack
The Valveking is a all-valve amp, the Vypyr is a modelling amp mainly based on solid state (to the best of my knowledge). To be honest, you'd be better off getting the Valkveking - What power in terms of Watts are you looking at?

The Vypyr is a hybrid and has tubes in both the pre- and power amp, with TransTube technology being driven by the preamp tubes. Just because the VK is all-tube doesn't necessarily mean it's better. Furthermore, ten watts is an incredibly negligible difference.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Jan 23, 2009,
the vypyr tube is still not in in stock in my GC so no comment on those.
the valveking si very different than the vypyr the vypyr has MANY amp models to chose from
(6505,XXX,twin reverb,Peavey classic,Krankenstine,Rectifier etc.) and it has built in effects and stomp boxes. the valveking doesnt have any of those and it COULD do some metal if you do mods on it (check the valveking thread).

@korzack i think TS is talking about the Vypyr tube not the SS.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Jan 23, 2009,
Sweet. Anyone else?
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
I think the Vypyr's tube series is just a sales gimmick. I mean really now, why would you have a modeling amp with tubes. Think about it. The reason you buy a tube amp is for its dynamics. To add digital modeling would kill the tubes dynamics.

I have a bud(well he knows me if he sees me somewhere) out hear that runs a Roland( I believe VG-88) straight into a PA and nails every tone he is looking for. Do a search on youtube for "ybr band". Granted it is, knowing him, modded all to hell, but still, sounds freaking great. So good they fill a room just a bit smaller then a baseball field, and I mean standing room only.

Makes me wonder sometimes if my search for tone is just plain stupid.
Last edited by Sin City Sid at Jan 24, 2009,
bump
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
I'd go for the Vypyr myself. This is partly because when I tried the Valve King I found it to be very disappointing so while it may be a 'proper' valve amp, it's just nothing special. The only other amp I know of that is like the Vypyr is the Spider Valve. Now I really don't like Line 6 modelling gear as it always sounds too digital and to a degree this was true when I tried the Spider Valve. However, the SV was easily the best product I've ever tried by Line 6 and it had a great deal going for it. I felt it was something I'd be interested in IF they could get the amp models to be a little less digital and improve the flexibility of the effects. I've not tried the valve version of the Vypyr yet as it's not available here yet but generally I find the Vypyr to be far superior to Line 6 so my hopes are high that the valve version of the Vypyr will be everything the Spider Valve wanted to be but didn't quite achieve.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
I'd go for for the Vypyr 60w tube hybrid. It has tubes in the preamp and power amp which gives you most your tone.

EDIT: If they still don't have vypyr tube amps at GC then try Musicians friend.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by Sin City Sid
I think the Vypyr's tube series is just a sales gimmick. I mean really now, why would you have a modeling amp with tubes. Think about it. The reason you buy a tube amp is for its dynamics. To add digital modeling would kill the tubes dynamics.

I have a bud(well he knows me if he sees me somewhere) out hear that runs a Roland( I believe VG-88) straight into a PA and nails every tone he is looking for. Do a search on youtube for "ybr band". Granted it is, knowing him, modded all to hell, but still, sounds freaking great. So good they fill a room just a bit smaller then a baseball field, and I mean standing room only.

Makes me wonder sometimes if my search for tone is just plain stupid.

lots of people do line6 Pods (or other similar equipment) lined out to Tube poweramps like a mesa 50:50. why? because tubes and their dynamics count for a lot when its at the end of the chain.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by EyeHatePunks
50 watt tube is as loud as 100 watts solid state...

No it isn't. 50 watts tube is about 50 watts solid state.
Quote by Horlicks

He said "as loud as". Volume =/= Number of watts.

TS, can you go used maybe? It will get you some better deals. A Mesa F-Series amp (they have the F-30) sounds possible.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by Horlicks

Im not the real expert but its both correct and wrong. Tubes give the same amount of volume but our ears hear it louder.
I havent really done much research one tube wattage as apposed to solid state, but I CAN tell you that I owned a line 6 spider II, and now I own a Valveking 112. I have had the oppurtuity to crank both and by FAR the Peavey had more volume. Now this could just be the illusion of a richer fuller sound from the tubes but to me, it just sounded louder.
Also I was in the same position as you and went with the valveking, couldnt be happier with my decision.
Quote by I Like Me.
I havent really done much research one tube wattage as apposed to solid state, but I CAN tell you that I owned a line 6 spider II, and now I own a Valveking 112. I have had the oppurtuity to crank both and by FAR the Peavey had more volume. Now this could just be the illusion of a richer fuller sound from the tubes but to me, it just sounded louder.

It all has to do with audible harmonic frequencies. A tube amp creates more audible frequencies than does an SS amp, making it seem louder, when it is, in fact, not.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Last edited by theoreticmusic at Jan 24, 2009,
Quote by theoreticmusic
It all has to do with audible harmonic frequencies. A tube amp creates more audible frequencies than does an SS amp, making it seem louder, when it is, in fact not.

ahhhhhh, alright. gotcha.
valveking would be great, but you'd really benefit from buying an OD pedal to boost your sound

if you get the VK, buy a BM and put level on 10 and gain on 0 on the pedal and you can easily get teh br00t4lz
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Quote by cohen5250
I'm currently trying to choose between the Peavey ValveKing 112 50 Watt Tube Combo amp, and the Peavey Vypyr 60 Watt tube combo amp. I've been trying to find a small, cheap tube combo amp with around 30 watts, but these were the closest I could find (dammit). I play strictly cleans (Metallica: And Justice For All) and metal (Slayer: Reign In Blood).

Here is my 2 cents. These are 2 completely different types of amps. Comparing a Vypyr and Spider I could understand. Comparing a Valveking and a Crate V I could understand.

You say you don't want a lot of watts but yet you play metal. If you play metal, then preamp tubes are very important as is headroom (lots of watts). If you play blues and classic rock, the power tube saturation is very important - which why people often vote for 15 or less watts. As you crank, the power tubes distort.

So, my opinion all along (and I like Vypyrs) is that they are all solid state modellers. Yes the power tubes should sound great in the 60 and 120 - but not necessarily for metal. 1 12AX7 preamp tube is not going to do that much. The Vypyr models amps like the 6505, XXX, JSX, Recto. Those amps have a ton of preamp tubes for a reason. So if you set the Vypyr to 6505 - it is Transtube that is recreating that gained up crunchy tone.

Sorry to wall of text.

If you want a modeller that has USB and can download patches and presets and have most any effect you might need all built into one amp - then get the Vypyr.

If you want a strait away tube amp that has no effects outside of reverb then get the Valveking. Note, the Valveking is a 'modders' amp so if you don't like the idea of changing the speaker and tubes and doing a few tricks and pedals - don't waste your time.

Note the 6505+ 112 50w combo is coming out this Spring.
Vypyr tube. I don't really like the VK. It's not bad, but the vypyr tube IMO rapes the thing.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
No, but my SS vypyr sounds better IMO. I can just imagine that sounding really very good.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^no offense dude - then how can you say the Vypyr hybrid tube rapes the Valveking? Those have been delayed for a reason. Not saying it won't sound good and I'm not anti-Vypyr.

because, I don't think the VK is all that great. Sure, it's a good first tube amp but as you said, it's a modder's amp. It would be better if the speaker was half decent stock, but of course you have to then go spend another $50-130 on a new speaker.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
^I know. And some of us actually like the thought and challenge of all of that. As twisted as that may seem to others. The VK has a wonderful tone stack.

Anyway, I was just saying these are two different types of amps altogether. Personally, I'd rather have the new 6505+ combo.
Quote by oneblackened
No, but my SS vypyr sounds better IMO. I can just imagine that sounding really very good.

The Vypyr tube could sound worse... you haven't actually used one to prove otherwise.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Fact be known, all Peavey combo's sound like ass. Peavey puts the lowest budget speaker they can buy in every single one of them.
Quote by Sin City Sid
Fact be known, all Peavey combo's sound like ass.

It's official, the JSX, XXX, Delta Blues, Classic 30/50, 6505/5150 and Ultra sound like ass.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
It's official, the JSX, XXX, Delta Blues, Classic 30/50, 6505/5150 and Ultra sound like ass.

Well I don't know if I would go that far.