Page 1 of 10
shaketherim
UG LY
123 IQ
I've been a fan of Nu-metal almost since it started (well probably not, but since I started liking rock), and that may have something to do with that I like almost all types of rock. But what I have to ask is this. What do so many people have against Nu-Metal? I see so many people saying, "Oh man Nu-Metal sucks. Nu-Metal bands can suck my ****." But most people don't really seem to have a reason for it. I just want to hear from people who like it and why and the reason why people who don't like it don't. I'm not saying it's wrong to like it, but I just want to know what your reasoning is. And please, if you're going to post a reply, don't say "Nu-Metal sucks. Period", because that solves nothing.
I have an idea! Let's play darts! You can be the goalie...
realiztik
UG Member
156 IQ
Most people write that because it's not an Mtv thing anymore. Mtv tells them what to think. Follow the flock....
"I'm not saying I'm right... but you're all wrong!"
zakk_wylde4
emo sucks
111 IQ
I personally don't like it because they don't know how to play their instruments, they drop their guitars 3 or 4 steps. And they wear stupid masks, they are like a bunch of little kids at halloween, slipknot just disgusts me
Quote by Fixer
HAHAHAHA omg I wanna sig that but i dont know how.
thebenj
Existential Gentleman
13 IQ
yeah!
the same thing happened 20 years ago with "hair metal" and 10 years ago with "grunge". point being, if the MUSIC is good a band can enjoy longevity. if the music sucks...they(more than likely) will burn out as one hit wonders. people will ALWAYS ***** about the state of popular music. the important thing is to NEVER listen to the status quo...listen and support whatever YOU the listener likes and to hell withwhat anyone else thinks.
life, liberty, and the pursuit of small fluffy farm animals!
shaketherim
UG LY
123 IQ
Originally posted by zakk_wylde4
I personally don't like it because they don't know how to play their instruments, they drop their guitars 3 or 4 steps. And they wear stupid masks, they are like a bunch of little kids at halloween, slipknot just disgusts me

You sound more like you are describing Slipknot, not any other bands (btw Slipknot does know how to play their instruments anyway), but the way you're saying it, you think Slipknot is the only Nu Metal band.
Bloody Moron
UG Canadian
12 IQ
Originally posted by zakk_wylde4

Your talking about Slipknot, this topic is on ALL nu metal not one band. What about all they other nu metal bands who dont "wear stupid masks" or "are a bunch of little kids at halloween"?
thebenj
Existential Gentleman
13 IQ
p.s. as far as slipknot goes, i can take them or leave them (personally). but i cannot critisize bands that have 3 solid selling albums and legions of fans that will do anything for them. untill you can say the same...
life, liberty, and the pursuit of small fluffy farm animals!
6slip6knot6
anal probe
10 IQ
dude, nu metal rules. probably my favorite genre of rock/metal. i love it so much because detuned bass and guitar is alot more fun to listen to, and i prefer more heavier music. i also listen to nu metal because it gives me certain feelings, and most of the lyrics i can relate to in some way. well, i cant explain it that easily, kinda hard. \m/
6slip6knot6
anal probe
10 IQ
also, people who dont like nu metal either never gave it a chance, or just never appealed to them in any way. or, like i think most of them, are just pricks.
6strung
136 IQ
The difference between 'metal' and 'nu meta'l is the lack of hair sprayed and teased, leather wearing, homosexual singing, i've had every vd possible, the solo is the only part of the song that is important, now out of work and living with my parents but i'm still a rock star because my tattoo says so people. 'Hair metal' blows. I'd rather listen to nothing than that. Those are just some of the differences!
shaketherim
UG LY
123 IQ
Originally posted by mr. poopypants
i don't know why

I think I asked you not to post if you were going to post something like this. You didn't even tell me if you liked it or not!
saddam
Carcass
1,808 IQ
dude you say slipknot don't know how to play their instruments? That's ****in stupid! Mick and James are great guitarists!
scheck006
202 IQ
how can you say everybody hates nu-metal? it is the mainstream right???

I guess you could say everyone hates metal because I never ever hear of it outside of maybe ug and my freinds...
Check out my latest recording on my profile
RHCPhysco7
killing in the name of
79 IQ
^hahahaha nu metal....maninstream.......ever watch mtv lately?(which stands for mainstream television now)

nu metal is really a mixed bag lately. it started off greeat with the deftones and Korn but then more and more bands come out and they all start sounding the same. trapt is ok and smile empty soul isnt that great. right now id have to say Godsmack is the best n metal band out there right now
sigs are for pussies
imback_inblack
UG's Lemmy Obsessive
122 IQ
Originally posted by thebenj
yeah!
the same thing happened 20 years ago with "hair metal" and 10 years ago with "grunge". point being, if the MUSIC is good a band can enjoy longevity. if the music sucks...they(more than likely) will burn out as one hit wonders. people will ALWAYS ***** about the state of popular music. the important thing is to NEVER listen to the status quo...listen and support whatever YOU the listener likes and to hell withwhat anyone else thinks.

status quo rule, i've been to see them twice in concert

edit: and they have nothing to do with nu-metal
Originally posted by becbo
i've got a question.. who's lemmy?

Cvnt.
EarlofGrey
Nihilist Poet
15 IQ
Originally posted by 6slip6knot6
dude, nu metal rules. probably my favorite genre of rock/metal. i love it so much because detuned bass and guitar is alot more fun to listen to, and i prefer more heavier music. i also listen to nu metal because it gives me certain feelings, and most of the lyrics i can relate to in some way. well, i cant explain it that easily, kinda hard. \m/

Oooh, it "gives you certain feelings." How f<e>ucking nice, you doss c<e>unt. Get an intelligent goddam opinion before you open your mouth, get me?

And I, personally, used to be a fan of nu-metal. I believed it was the 'heaviest" music I could find, and got me in an angry/fighty spirit. I felt tough and hardass, and that's what appealed to me. Once I started listening to real metal--early Metallica, Pantera, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Opeth, Morbid Angel, Death, and the like--I realised how simple nu-metal was to play, and how very...light the music was. Simply no one can listen to Nile and then say that Slipknot and Korn are heavy.

Those are my three cents.
spike_8bkp
il trovatore
1,094 IQ
I used to love nu-metal. LOVE it. It was my favorite genre of music in the entire world, I learned to play every song I could possibly think of. And now, I think it's not as good as I once thought, and I do think that a good deal of it sucks. These are my reasons:
I went to quite a few shows and talked with many of the "musicians" in those bands and I learned quite a bit about them. When I found that a few of these "nu-metal" bands were picked up by labels because of a single song, and that the guitarist had only been playing for something like 9 months before they got signed- it's like "what the hell?!" Anyone could get a record contract if this was this case. And indeed it was. When any two-bit angry kid could pick up an instrument, down tune a guitar, play it loud for a year and get singed to a two-deep label, something has to be fucking wrong.
Granted there are MANY great musicians in nu-metal (i.e. Ryan Martinie, Mick Thompson) and nu-metal is a good way for a musician to make a living, I believe in a thing called dignity, and for a musician with so much talent to be wasted in a band where he can't even used it is, well, a waste. Potential, people - USE IT.

Another reason: Themes. No, they are not all the same, but they all relate to each other almost as close as new hardcore music. Simply put, I grew tired of it. I became a writer, and I wanted my style to evolve past the "everybody hates me, pain is all I know" stage, and I did. Eventually, I grew to dislike the simplistic, uninspired, unoriginal themes of nu-metal (i.e. Adema, Korn, grade8). I also wished to become a more versatile, and technical guitarist. I've always been amazed by guitar solos, and in nu-metal, there are virtually none. I didn't like that, so I went in search of solos, leads, fast, technical runs that I couldn't dream of playing. Well, I found metal.

The fact that nu-metal is overtly popular has rarely, if ever, affected my judgement of it - metal is gaining popularity, and only from an elitist point of view can I find anything wrong with it. Nu-metal is the mainstream public's metal. As long as some pissed off kid has something to scream about, nu-metal will go on. I don't mind it being there. What I do mind is a band such as Disturbed (and please don't get me wrong, they are a good band for what they do) going around saying that they are a great metal band, or little ignorant fourteen year olds going around saying that Korn is better than any band I could ever possibly think of. I was one of those kids once upon a time. What I'd like is for people to smarten up, but this won't happen. What I'd like is for people to NOT take advantage of the music industry and become rich and famous for have virtually no true talent or originality at all, but again, this won't happen. I must let the dice fall where they may, and if this calls for letting some of the greatest musicians in the world go completely unnoticed, so be it.

THAT is why I don't care for nu-metal.
shaketherim
UG LY
123 IQ
Nice long posts, you've got some good reasons here, I have a few arguments (all of my responses are the non-bolded sections).

Originally posted by spike_8bkp
I used to love nu-metal. LOVE it. It was my favorite genre of music in the entire world, I learned to play every song I could possibly think of. And now, I think it's not as good as I once thought, and I do think that a good deal of it sucks. These are my reasons:
I went to quite a few shows and talked with many of the "musicians" in those bands and I learned quite a bit about them. When I found that a few of these "nu-metal" bands were picked up by labels because of a single song, and that the guitarist had only been playing for something like 9 months before they got signed- it's like "what the hell?!" Anyone could get a record contract if this was this case. And indeed it was. When any two-bit angry kid could pick up an instrument, down tune a guitar, play it loud for a year and get singed to a two-deep label, something has to be fucking wrong.
Granted there are MANY great musicians in nu-metal (i.e. Ryan Martinie, Mick Thompson) and nu-metal is a good way for a musician to make a living, I believe in a thing called dignity, and for a musician with so much talent to be wasted in a band where he can't even used it is, well, a waste. Potential, people - USE IT.

Well I'll give you as much that it's true, there are some talentless bands in the genre. But then again, there are talentless bands in every genre. It's just a fact of music. And even so, if a song makes people feel good, and people enjoy it, maybe the writer doesn't have talent on their instrument, but in songwriting. That's where it comes in that not any angry two-bit kid could do it, you have to have an ability to write songs, and people to like them. And also, latelly, there are more Nu-Metal songs coming out with talent in them. Listen to Slipknot's new album (Vol. 3 TSV) for example, there is a fantastic guitar solo in many of the songs.

Another reason: Themes. No, they are not all the same, but they all relate to each other almost as close as new hardcore music. Simply put, I grew tired of it. I became a writer, and I wanted my style to evolve past the "everybody hates me, pain is all I know" stage, and I did. Eventually, I grew to dislike the simplistic, uninspired, unoriginal themes of nu-metal (i.e. Adema, Korn, grade8). I also wished to become a more versatile, and technical guitarist. I've always been amazed by guitar solos, and in nu-metal, there are virtually none. I didn't like that, so I went in search of solos, leads, fast, technical runs that I couldn't dream of playing. Well, I found metal.

That is just you, not everyone who likes Nu-Metal has that "everyone hates me" stage, I like Nu-Metal just because I like the music, but I still lead a laugh out loud life.

The fact that nu-metal is overtly popular has rarely, if ever, affected my judgement of it - metal is gaining popularity, and only from an elitist point of view can I find anything wrong with it. Nu-metal is the mainstream public's metal. As long as some pissed off kid has something to scream about, nu-metal will go on. I don't mind it being there. What I do mind is a band such as Disturbed (and please don't get me wrong, they are a good band for what they do) going around saying that they are a great metal band, or little ignorant fourteen year olds going around saying that Korn is better than any band I could ever possibly think of. I was one of those kids once upon a time. What I'd like is for people to smarten up, but this won't happen. What I'd like is for people to NOT take advantage of the music industry and become rich and famous for have virtually no true talent or originality at all, but again, this won't happen. I must let the dice fall where they may, and if this calls for letting some of the greatest musicians in the world go completely unnoticed, so be it.

These bands do have originality, or they wouldn't have any fans. And as for true talent, I already explained about that earlier. A little off topic here, but if you want to see no originality and no talent, go to the hip hop and the rap industry. That just pisses me off. There is no talent and no originality in any of those people, and they are becoming rich and famous. Back to the point, they aren't taking advantage of the music industry by becoming famous. It's not like they went up to the music industry and said "We want to be your next number 1 band", they had to get asked by the music industry to be signed. Music industries wouldn't be stupid enough to sign a band with no real talent or originality, because they wouldn't sell. And as for the greatest musicians to go unnoticed, that's another fact of life that has to be dealt with. That's all about being in the right place at the right time, and getting the right oppurtunity.

THAT is why I don't care for nu-metal.
6slip6knot6
anal probe
10 IQ
Originally posted by EarlofGrey
Oooh, it "gives you certain feelings." How f<e>ucking nice, you doss c<e>unt. Get an intelligent goddam opinion before you open your mouth, get me?

And I, personally, used to be a fan of nu-metal. I believed it was the 'heaviest" music I could find, and got me in an angry/fighty spirit. I felt tough and hardass, and that's what appealed to me. Once I started listening to real metal--early Metallica, Pantera, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Opeth, Morbid Angel, Death, and the like--I realised how simple nu-metal was to play, and how very...light the music was. Simply no one can listen to Nile and then say that Slipknot and Korn are heavy.

Those are my three cents.

yea, arent you a happy camper... where did i insult you or open my mouth?? lol i stated what i think, and what i think is hard to explain. i never said a damn word about true metal, dip****.. get out of this forum and get back into your "real metal". by the way, i DO listen to metallica and various other bits of "real metal", but nu metal happens to be my favorite. my opinion is my opinion, coming in here and bustin **** at people for no reason is foolish. now get lost.
harvestor
9th lvl dragon slayer
10 IQ
if ya wanna know the diff between metal and nu metal, read the thread called

"what is nu metal" started by mr weija, it might be gone, i dunno
THE REVOLUTION IS COMING

**** POSERS
rokphoenix
The Undertaker
10 IQ
spike_8bkp

and i think if you read the metal vs numetal thread it will give yo some ideas as to why people hate or love that genre of music
shaketherim
UG LY
123 IQ
^^ To both of you, what is nu metal isn't exactly what I want, in case you didn't notice, and to the other one, I tried reading it, and it goes too off topic for me, which is why I started this thread in the first place.
eddibleautopsy
UG's Repulsion fanboy
10 IQ
listen to nu metal
Originally posted by Rockr_Grl
dude u ****ers r all poser if u dont respect MARILYN MANSON he is the ****in ruler of rock u ****in jack asses go 2 ****in hell u posers
jaggysnake
into flight
356 IQ
Music is music, a lot of people are into music for the wrong reasons, their image, to follow the mainstream or because they're angry or bored. These all lead to ignorant people, most of which either listen to (in britain anyway)

Garage rock
Nu-metal
Pop punk.

This is purely because garage rock was in last year, pop punk is easy listening and 'cool' in 13 year old circles and finally:

Nu metal is the conformist way to differ from mainstream, which makes an alternative mainstream so its a paradox. Same with punk, grunge and metal.

numetaldude
Not Gonna Argue With You!
41 IQ
Originally posted by spike_8bkp
I went to quite a few shows and talked with many of the "musicians" in those bands and I learned quite a bit about them. When I found that a few of these "nu-metal" bands were picked up by labels because of a single song, and that the guitarist had only been playing for something like 9 months before they got signed- it's like "what the hell?!" Anyone could get a record contract if this was this case. And indeed it was. When any two-bit angry kid could pick up an instrument, down tune a guitar, play it loud for a year and get singed to a two-deep label, something has to be ****ing wrong.

i can agree.. a lot of nu metal bands nowadays are picked up by labels simply because they are nu metal.. even if their music sound just like any other nu metal bands, they're signed coz just being nu metal sells..

and that is why i don't like a lot of nu metal bands...

korn, however, which started the whole nu metal thing, never intended to start a genre.. what they wanted when they started was to just play music... and given the opportunity to be in a record label, they took it! who wouldn't? so they became popular or as it is called, "mainstream"... and the RIAA coined up the name Nu Metal to make them even more marketable.. so was it korn's fault that nu metal became a good living?? i don't think so.. blame the music industry..

and i don't think korn doesn't have any talent.. yeah, perhaps they don't play the conventional way.. they don't base their stuff on scales.. yeah, probably they were just to lazy to learn it all.. but they managed to come up with great sounding music nonetheless.. coming up with their own brand of sound has to take even just a little skill.. and i'm very very sure you can't just take any kid from the street and make him come up with as good a sound as korn's..

and also, i dare say korn is a very creative band... think of it.. did they sound like anybody when they came out?? definitely not.. and listen to the first album, then listen to follow the leader, and then listen to untouchables. if you say any of those albums sound like each other, then you've got hearing problems!.. that's creativity! they came up with a distinct sound of their own.. that's why they sold big! coz they were original.. they didn't sound like anybody else at the time they came out.. instead of saying they don't understand what they're doing, let's just say that they have their own meaning to what they're playing! it's new! when true metal came out, i'm sure musicians of the time questioned it coz it was against the norm... it wasn't the way music was supposed to be played.. but then again, people kept on at it at the same time coming up with different ways of playing true metal.. so true metal became mainstream for a while (back in the 70's and 80's), and then later on slowly went back to the underground.. sounds familiar? coz it's the exact same thing that nu metal is going through right now.. it's not dying! it's just going underground..

what's killing nu metal is the ridiculous amount of imitators.. a lot of new bands just wanna be like korn or slipknot or disturbed.. they just go with what's already there, which is totally against the original principle of nu metal which was to come up with new unorthodox ways to play music... there are however a lot of original nu metal bands... deftones, system of a down, and rage against the machine.. these are just some bands who don't sound at all like anyone... they're original!

just for the record, my band looks up to korn.. but we try hard to not sound like them.. i, as a guitarist, listen to everything from pink floyd, to iron maiden, to nirvana, to the smashing pumpkins, and of course, to nu metal... the purpose is so i can merge what i hear to come up with my own sound and style.. and that's what I think nu metal is all about!

Originally posted by perfec_circl
OH! OH! THANK GOD! You saved me! This AMAZING pop-punk/alternative band has saved me from the horrible cluthes of... *gasp*... nu-metal!
numetaldude
Not Gonna Argue With You!
41 IQ
Originally posted by imback_inblack
status quo rule, i've been to see them twice in concert

edit: and they have nothing to do with nu-metal

man, i don't think he was talkin bout status quo the band.. when he said , 'don't listen to the status quo'.. he meant, don't listen to the current fad!
Originally posted by perfec_circl
OH! OH! THANK GOD! You saved me! This AMAZING pop-punk/alternative band has saved me from the horrible cluthes of... *gasp*... nu-metal!
Yeah Dude
71 IQ
YEAH!!! Nu-Metal
Korn and Slipknot Rule!!!
Quote by greety

Yes we also shot JFK and faked the moon landing here at the UG Metal Forum.
mr. happypants
Banned
10 IQ
I like all music exept pop-punk, rap, and country
Last edited by mr. happypants at Jun 3, 2004,
Metal Matt
My Avatar is Redundant
632 IQ
There's already a thread exactly like this. And everytime I've seen someone say nu-metal sucks they do give reasons but the conversation usually goes like this....

Some guy: "Nu-metal sucks. It doesn't have (Gives reasons for not liking nu-metal)."
Stupid guy: "But why don't you like it?"
Some guy: "I just told you, it's because (Repeats reasons)."
Supid guy: "Yea but that's not important what's some other reasons?"
Some guy: "F<e>uck you, nu-metal is just gay."
Metal Matt reserves the right to be a hypocrite whenever he damn well pleases
shaketherim
UG LY
123 IQ
Originally posted by Metal Matt
There's already a thread exactly like this. And everytime I've seen someone say nu-metal sucks they do give reasons but the conversation usually goes like this....

Some guy: "Nu-metal sucks. It doesn't have (Gives reasons for not liking nu-metal)."
Stupid guy: "But why don't you like it?"
Some guy: "I just told you, it's because (Repeats reasons)."
Supid guy: "Yea but that's not important what's some other reasons?"
Some guy: "F<e>uck you, nu-metal is just gay."

Hmmm...you still seemed biased, saying that the person who likes nu metal is stupid...oh well, some peopl in the world only care about their opinions. Anyway, I had no idea there was another thread like this. If you could give me a link to it that would help.
Metal Matt
My Avatar is Redundant
632 IQ
It's on the first page. And I would hardly consider myself bias considering I LIKE nu-metal. I am however bias against nu-metal fans because the majority of nu-metal fans barely pass the tests to qualify as retards for reasons I've already mentioned.
shaketherim
UG LY
123 IQ
Well, someone else told me the that metal vs. nu-metal was similar to this, I'm not sure that's what you're referring to but I'll assume it is. Anyway, this is still different from that, since I asked people here to elaborate on their oprions. And to your other point, well, there's nothing I can do about that, I'll admit there are some stupid nu-metal fans.
Metal Matt
My Avatar is Redundant
632 IQ
Yea it was the nu-metal vs. metal thread I was talking about. This one may be slightly different but I think it's similar enough that this one wasn't needed but whatever. Yea there are stupid nu-metal fans but there are stupid fans in every genre. It's just my experience that the nu-metal fans go out of their way to be in your face about their stupidity.
Streetsoldier
UG Newbie
44 IQ
People hate nu-metal for the same reason they hate emo, country, rap, hip-hop, alternative, techno, etc. It's their on personal biased. You can't make all of the people love you all of the time.

Plus, nu-metal the name is a roadblock for most bands. If you can't slip that tainted name than you might as well go emo.

EDIT:

Nu-metal is a the commerical form of metal. Some people hate that because it's "coperate".
I think my imagination's broken. Let me think of the best thing ever... beef... stew. Yep, it's definitely broken.
scheck006
202 IQ
I really don't see why people listen to nu-metal, every time I argue with someone I can always get them to admit that metal musicians are more talented...and that metal is better music...

but even after admiting its better, they always revert back to the original question...
Check out my latest recording on my profile
thedandjay
Misprinted Lies
10 IQ
Im with scheck on this one.Nu-metal seems to be a fad in my school.Alot of people that say they listen to metal really listen to nu-metal.I try my best to get them into Opeth ,metallica,Iron madien,black sabbath,and so on.They always seem to stick with nu-metal.
Originally posted by jono034
I am a heartless bastard

Agreed