Poll: Which do you prefer, and why??
Poll Options
View poll results: Which do you prefer, and why??
I like a nice new axe
45 87%
I like a factory broken in/worn guitar
7 13%
Voters: 52.
I was perusing the Guitar Center site and came across the Johnny Winter Custom Shop Firebird, complete with nicks, dings, gouges, and wear....for $7,699.00

Looking a little further, I saw the Gibson Firebird, brand new, for $1,699.00. I myself am having a hard time accepting that anyone would purchase a guitar pre worn in, instead of breaking it in yourself.

Do you like the worn style?? If so please state why, or if you prefer the newness of a fresh axe.

Thanks!
Last edited by zoomer76 at Jan 23, 2009,
Normally I think relics, but why would you wan't to pay an extra $6,000 dollars for some guy to relic it?
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

I like real old guitars.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
You're not just paying six grand for the relic job though. The whole overall quality of Custom Shop models is higher than regular Gibsons, plus there's the fact it's a signature so the price will be slightly higher anyway to cover the royalty fee.

That said as far as fake relicing goes, it shouldn't be done. It never looks like real wear.

I mean my Gibson has a 'faded' finish and 'smoked' hardware (not a relic job, just has some of the brand new shine rubbed off basically), but if I could have gotten the same thing with a brand-new looking top and new-looking hardware, I would have.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Personally I would much rather have a brand-new looking guitar if I'm going to spend that much money. I can see how some people would buy pre-worn guitars so they can think they have the same guitar guys like Johnny Winters or Zakk Wylde have been playing for years though. It is kind of cool how the Gibson and Fender Custom shops replicate that aged look, sometimes going as far as making cigeratte burns on the guitar.
Quote by MrFlibble
You're not just paying six grand for the relic job though. The whole overall quality of Custom Shop models is higher than regular Gibsons, plus there's the fact it's a signature so the price will be slightly higher anyway to cover the royalty fee.

That said as far as fake relicing goes, it shouldn't be done. It never looks like real wear.

I mean my Gibson has a 'faded' finish and 'smoked' hardware (not a relic job, just has some of the brand new shine rubbed off basically), but if I could have gotten the same thing with a brand-new looking top and new-looking hardware, I would have.

I agree, but if I was about to spend that kind of coin on a signature axe, I would want it to be absolutely perfect in every way. No scatches or anything unless put there by me

Yngwie Malmsteen Strat

$12,500
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
i agree with pac man . also id rather have a new one because i could modify it without undoing any other if they have ben done
MIM Fender Strat
Ibanez AE series acoustic
Washburn Semi Hollow loaded with Di-Marzios
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
I like worn guitars, but not buying them worn. I'd wanna wear them out myself.
Strats & Seagulls
The only reason I would like a worn guitar is if its a vintage one from the 50's or 60's. Otherwise it's kind of stupid.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Quote by JBizzle Da Truf

Yngwie Malmsteen Strat

$12,500

See, that looks disgusting.

Something like this;

http://vintageguitars.net/products/dispProd.cfm?id=698&page=1&&srch&year=&manufacturer=&model=Strat&storeId=

Something that actually looks vintage and proper and not like Yngwie raped it nightly I will take. I love worn guitars, and I love nitrocellulose finishes. I hate relic'd guitars though, just because i steals some originality from the guitar. If it's reasonably priced and each relic is done differently, I'll buy it. If not, then to hell with it. Except the Road Worn Tele. That thing sounds sick.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Some guitars look amazing worn in, like Strats and Teles. Johnny Greenwood of Radiohead plays a Tele thats worn just the right amount (in my opinion).

But I would never pay to have a guitar reliced. If you want it broken in, save money and buy used, or actually use the thing and wear it in yourself.
If I wanted a guitar that looked worn I would buy a used guitar. I do like the satin finishes on the Epiphone G-400s and SG Faded though. I am not sure if that counts as factory worn or not.
Last edited by strekship at Jan 24, 2009,
if you like worn buy used and spend less than reliced. it should feel more broken in and look more real used and old.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Wait... Johnny Winter has a signature?

Damn.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.