i currently play an ibanez RG with a Fender frontman 65 watt amp. they were both around $300 dollar. i never really put any thought into any better gear, even though i have heard people say how important a really good amp and a really good guitar are. but then the other day, while my teacher went to the bathroom, he let me play his thousand dollar "wolfgang" eddie van halen guitar through his 300 dollar distortion pedal into his 600 dollar amp, and i sounded alot i better playing then i ever had! i sounded better than i thought i was. is better gear really that essential to having a great sound?
having great sound? yes.

being a good guitar player? no.

if you are good though, you should get good gear to get the most out of your playing, especially in a gigging/recording situation
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
having great sound? yes.

if you are good though, you should get good gear to get the most out of your playing, especially in a gigging/recording situation

This is the best and only reliable answer to this question/debate. 100% accurate, and very well put.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
the fact of the matter is, having better gear can motivate you more, but obviously wont make you a better player. and yes, you should keep on saving for a new amp, i wouldnt get a new guitar first unless you were REALLY unsatisfied with it
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
It will make you "sound" better. but Sounding better doesn't equate to playing better necessarily.

While, I'm willing to bet that this wolfgang played alot nicer, and made playing easier than it is on your RG, it doesn't make as much a difference in your playing.

That said, I do reccomend purchasing some quality gear if you plan to do this as more than just a hobby.
so then what we be more important to get? a better am? a better guitar? or a quality distortion pedal?
no doubt its the amp
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Zakk Wylde Crybaby Wah Pedal
Boss SD-1
Get a better amp, then a better guitar, then look at pedals.

Unless you play some kind of wierd alternative or post rock, in which case pedals come before guitar.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
having great sound? yes.

Very well put, but there's one slight flaw.

Better gear allows you to have a better sound, which will allow you to play more freely and focus on the playing instead of how ****ty your sound is. I noticed a big jump in my skill with my regular practice regimen (at the time lol) once I got my Edwards, same thing with my Randall.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
Very well put, but there's one slight flaw.

Better gear allows you to have a better sound, which will allow you to play more freely and focus on the playing instead of how ****ty your sound is. I noticed a big jump in my skill with my regular practice regimen (at the time lol) once I got my Edwards, same thing with my Randall.

This is what happened when I finally got a tube amp a few years ago. I hardly practiced because my MG hurt my ears. Now I'm playing atleast 6 hours a day because I just love my tone so much. My playing's skyrocketed with the increased motiviation to practice. And I don't have people running away from me because my tone hurts them with its ****tiness. But like you said, it got me away from tweaking my Marshall to try to get a decent tone to just being able to play.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs