So, I'm trying to improve my n00by tapping skills, which are basically arent there

Does anyone have a good resource on the internet that could help me? A problem of mine is I cant sound a note out good whenevr I tap it, i get a buzz, and at first, I thought I wasnt tapping hard enough, so here I am beating the **** out of fret board, probably damaging it, and I cant diagnose my problem.
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
precision. don't go fast, go slow. speed up a little, then a little more, you'll be a regular Sheehan in no time.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by PluckU
So, I'm trying to improve my n00by tapping skills, which are basically arent there

Does anyone have a good resource on the internet that could help me? A problem of mine is I cant sound a note out good whenevr I tap it, i get a buzz, and at first, I thought I wasnt tapping hard enough, so here I am beating the **** out of fret board, probably damaging it, and I cant diagnose my problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts0trO59Du8&feature=PlayList&p=C4D644B4E80DE2B3&index=0&playnext=1

Best tapping video out there in my opinion. I'm gonna have to write a tab for this video. Some may call it cheating (??) but I like to put a sock at the nut, just to dampen the strings down a little, remove any excess string noise and helps the tapped note ring out better. My advice would be, start slow pieces like this video, practice just getting the note to ring out nicely, then move onto your Billy Sheehan style lol. It may also help if you dampen the strings with your left hand, say at the 5th to 7th fret. I also find the D and G strings easiest to tap on. Just take a simple pattern and practice from there, like.

D - 4-7-12(tap)-4-7-12(tap)

Ermm..other advice. Rest your tapping hand on the side of your fretboard, so your thumb balances the hand while the fingers drop down to the fretboard. When I started I used TWO fingers to tap one note, I would cross my two fingers to create more surface area on the fretboard. And my last piece of advice, practice tapping when AWAY from the bass. Just get the muscle in your fore-arm used to it.

Oh and enjoy it.
It's not all about how hard you tap. You have to make sure it's firm and deliberate. If you miss the string a bit or remove pressure too quickly the tap isn't going to ring.
Last edited by Zycho at Jan 24, 2009,
practice moonlight sonata, it's a nice simple tapping piece by stu hamm that sounds great and looks really impressive
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by Micehorns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts0trO59Du8&feature=PlayList&p=C4D644B4E80DE2B3&index=0&playnext=1

Some may call it cheating (??) but I like to put a sock at the nut, just to dampen the strings down a little, remove any excess string noise and helps the tapped note ring out better.

Not at all, I do it all the time.
Quote by Metalfreak777
Dude if i were you i'd look more at bands like Dragonforce, Dragonland, Dream Theatre and Power Quest, most of their songs are either in E major, A major, C major or D majhor

Quote by grifff
Also try boosting your treble, I always do that before I do a tapping run but maybe you dont have an active bass

This.

If you just want to be able to say "I can tap" then learn the intro bit to Butterflies and Hurricanes by muse.

<3 that song
A good tapping song is Flow My Tears (The Policeman Said) by Stu Hamm. The intro is pretty simple, and it transitions nicely into the rest of the song ( though some parts are complex for tapping newbies).

As someone else said, Moonlight Sonata is also great.
Quote by rockonth
Why don't they just send 4chan to Iraq if they're so good at these so called "raids"?

Quote by entity0009
I once got hit by a flying wig. Either it was a wig or someone was headbanging far too hard.